Electronic Boost Gauge

Post your questions or current mods.

Moderator: Mikewire

Electronic Boost Gauge

Postby DynoJetta on Jan Tue 12, 2010 4:06 pm

I've had this built for a while, but I've been slacking getting some pictures posted. (if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it Mike).

Rundown:

I'm using a Wideband2 to translate my MAP Sensor analog signal into boost (gauge psi). I'm using one of DynoJet's LCD displays to display it.

I originally designed and built a gauge mount that goes in the circular vent on the dash near the pillar (G14 classified, so no pics ;) ). I decided I didn't like the idea of it being near the airbag so I built a mount that goes in the middle of the dash on the defroster vent. (I designed and fabricated the whole thing out of aluminum). I need to take it apart and repaint it, but it's been working real nice. Maybe I'll look into getting it anodized (I recall seeing a new member that has everything for that).

Image Image Image Image

short crappy video showing it in playback mode:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WcJRwBZFTE[/youtube]

The feature I like the most about the display is I can data log my boost and export it to excel for graphing and such. I have an EGT probe on hand, so as soon as I get it installed, I'm going to pipe it into the display also. Most likely I'll display EGT as a bar graph or digital readout, but we'll see when I finally get it setup.

I need to do some work on the sample and averaging too, that way I can get a smoother needle sweep.

And if anyone's curious, no I am not running an wideband oxygen sensor on my car. Not really practical on a diesel. I'm simply using the analog input feature on the WB2.
"When you want to be a somebody; you drive a new car...When you know who you are; you drive an old car."
DynoJetta
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: '81 Rabbit Diesel LS
'03 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Re: Electronic Boost Gauge

Postby Mikewire on Jan Tue 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Tight! very nice!

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby kompressorgolf on Jan Tue 12, 2010 6:47 pm

looks nice josh!
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby MT-Getto on Jan Tue 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Sweet!
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby ValveFloat on Jan Tue 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Josh, nice! I'll have to walk over and see it in person.

Too bad that cable doesn't come out the back of the display, huh? ;)
ValveFloat

Vehicles: 1991 911
2003 Ducati M620

Postby DynoJetta on Jan Tue 12, 2010 9:57 pm

ValveFloat wrote:Josh, nice! I'll have to walk over and see it in person.

Too bad that cable doesn't come out the back of the display, huh? ;)

Trust me, I looked into modifying the case and hardwiring the cable in. Just wasn't going to work. ;)
"When you want to be a somebody; you drive a new car...When you know who you are; you drive an old car."
DynoJetta
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

'03 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Postby DynoJetta on Feb Fri 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Time for an upgrade.

As stated above, I've been running this thing using a Wideband 2 to translate my MAP analog signal into Boost (gauge psi). At the time it was the only thing we had setup to communicate with our LCD. Since then, with the release of newer products, we now have our LCDs configured to communicate with our PowerCommander V.

What that means for this little project:

1. I now have 4 analog inputs that I can configure and display on the LCD (WB2 only had 1)
I'm going from displaying just Boost to now also having Throttle position and EGT. I have to source some connectors, but I also plan on displaying MAF (i'm not too crazy about posi-tapping it, but I might have to).

2. With each input I have greater control over not only the transfer function, but also the sampling and averaging.

On the WB2, you have a table with two rows so the only thing you can put in are the lowest and highest transfer values. On the PCV you can have between 2-10 rows on your table. This translates into a more accurate transfer function. With the data acquisition I did, I now have 8 tables. (BTW if anyone could track down a data sheet for the 2.5bar Bosch sensor 0281002177, you'd be my hero!)

The sample and average control is really nice. As you can see in the video above the "needle" is very jumpy. I never could track down what the WB2 was hardcoded with, but I've now cranked the sampling and averaging up to where it has a nice smooth sweeping motion. Not only that, but steady state is much more stable.

As I have to pull my intake off to put in my EGT probe, I've had my probe sitting on my desk for a year now. Now that I have everything upgraded to display it, I have more motivation to finally get it done.

Once I get everything hooked up I'll post a new video. :D
DynoJetta
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

'03 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Postby padroB5 on Feb Fri 18, 2011 1:35 pm

can wati to see the new video i have been intreged with this set up!
My wagon ant fast just gets Groceries fast.....
WAGONS NEED LOVE TOOOOOOOO!!!!!(quoted the wife)

VW,
Yes it is Fast,
NO, you can't Drive it!
padroB5
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 00Passat2.8.toy
05 silvarado1500

Return to Modifications