Jetta III 2.0 Clutch labor cost

Models manufactured from 1993 to 1999

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

Re: Jetta III 2.0 Clutch labor cost

Postby Rennwagen1 on Oct Mon 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Sachs OEM clutch all the way. When I had mine replaced, the mechanic said it was the beefiest factory clutch he has ever seen.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby vegas2017 on Oct Fri 07, 2011 3:15 pm

they are for a 2.slow, they can handle much more power.......turbo?
2001.5 S4- STG 3-(project car)
2003 RS 6
2011 Ford f-150 ecoboost
vegas2017
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 01 s4
'03 RS 6

Postby Mikewire on Oct Fri 07, 2011 5:00 pm

Yes. Look up the specs.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby lunari on Aug Sun 26, 2012 12:56 pm

A friend of mine put in my new clutch and flywheel for me. He brought the car back the other night and the clutch seems to hold great and it shifts smooth but the engagement point is now just a few inches above the floor and the pedal only returns back up about 1/4 of the way. On Vortex someone said to check the cable and this is what I discovered.

So I was out messing with it a little bit this morning. If the clutch is at the resting position you can pull down on clutch lever the cable attaches to but it will only let you do it once before it seems to lock up and you have to push in the pedal to be able to do it again. If you push in the clutch all the way and let it release as far as it wants to (about 1/4-1/2 way) then you go push down on the clutch lever the cable attaches to under the hood, there is a thud and then the clutch pedal goes up the rest of the way like it normally should. I hope this is an easy fix because I'm not sure if I feel confident having this friend of mine work on the car anymore, I also discovered this morning that he didn't even bolt the battery back in he just wrapped a bungee cord around it. It was bolted in before, I know because I took the battery out when we got the car to his shop. (Also have small dings on my front fenders where he had a weight lifting bar sitting on wooden blocks to support the engine with ratchet straps while he unbolted the transmission, but the bar fell of the blocks a couple of times smashing into my fenders) Does anyone have any input that might be helpful?
lunari
n00b...

n00b...

Vehicles: 2000 GTI

Postby MT-Getto on Aug Sun 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Get an older style, non auto-adjusting cable? If the clutch engages completely I'd say just drive it till it feels normal. Have you checked a Bentley manual for install/adjust procedure?
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby lunari on Aug Sun 26, 2012 4:43 pm

MT-Getto wrote:Get an older style, non auto-adjusting cable? If the clutch engages completely I'd say just drive it till it feels normal. Have you checked a Bentley manual for install/adjust procedure?

If it sounds like a cable problem I'll go ahead and pick up a manual adjusting cable to replace the auto adjuster. I hope it solves the problem! Oh, and yes I have looked in my Bentley manual for the clutch cable install/removal procedure. Was that what you were meaning?

Thanks
Anthony
lunari
n00b...

n00b...

Postby MT-Getto on Aug Sun 26, 2012 4:59 pm

I've never actually looked at the Bentley myself for this. Some people like their clutches with different travel.
I've always tried to make them do the disengage with little travel to avoid over working TO bearings and pressure plates and just make sure there's no drag.
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby lunari on Sep Thu 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Here's an update for you guys, picked up a manual adjust clutch cable from german auto parts. Just had it put in yesterday and it solved the problem. As a bonus the pedal feel is great now as well.

Thanks,
Anthony
lunari
n00b...

n00b...

Previous

Return to Golf III & Jetta III