My first non euro

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

Re: My first non euro

Postby 201motels on Oct Tue 06, 2015 1:54 pm

SweaterVest wrote: Side note, anyone want to buy a sweet topper? I'm not sure I want to keep it

I don't know about you, but I dislike toppers. To me the whole point of having a truck is so that you can load and unload things in and out of the bed easily. If you want a truck with a topper on it all the time why not just buy an suv? :laughing: Just my 2c.
201motels
In the passengers seat...

Vehicles: 2018 Sea Doo GTX Limited 300

My first non euro

Postby SweaterVest on Jan Thu 19, 2017 1:19 am

So as some of you know I bought a house about two months ago. I have been putting all my time into this house and haven't really been projecting on cars... Then I got a roommate, then his girl friend caught it on fire while intoxicated not knowing how to put a cigarette out. Image it's no longer livable apparently. So I all of a sudden have crazy amounts of time again...
I decided I was going to start working on my mk2 VR6 six speed swap again. Oh wait, my transmission was in my garage along with a ton of parts. So that project is on the ropes for a while. So there's my update on life, on to what I came here for.

I did a compression test on my truck numbers came back something like 95, 110, 95, 100. Decided I was losing compression through the rings. After a few months of driving it and trying to figure out what I was going to do I remembered that I had an extra 22re engine laying around in the snow. Image so I decided that I would rebuild this motor then just swap it into my truck. Minimal amounts of downtime. I want the 4wd for sure this winter! So I ripped it all apartImage then put i cleaned it up as much as possible. ImageBlock, crank, rods, head, valves, rockers everything. This is going to be a complete rebuild. All the parts are at the machine shop currently. Heads getting decked, rods are being rebuilt and balanced, blocks getting the cylinders boarded and line board and the crank is getting reground plus what ever else I'm forgetting. I'm rebuilding the head might do a slight port. New valve, springs, seats, retainers, guides and seals. So that's what I'm up to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SweaterVest
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 97' VW GTI VR6
dune buggy
91' VW GTI 8v

Postby Mikewire on Jan Thu 19, 2017 9:47 am

Aw shit man! I think we all saw your FB post and were concerned, and we even mentioned it at our last GTG - so where are you staying and is the house totally gone? Can we help, and could you use or need anything?

You got that 22re on lockdown :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby 201motels on Jan Thu 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Holly shit dude!!! That's so unbelievable. What an absolute nightmare. I've got extra rooms if you're in need. Also it's good to see you have something to occupy your free time to take your mind off of your nightmare....if only for a bit.
201motels

Vehicles: 2018 Sea Doo GTX Limited 300

Postby SweaterVest on Jan Thu 19, 2017 2:11 pm

The fire stayed mostly to the garage. Insurance is telling me it might be totaled because of the smoke damage throughout the entire house though. I'm currently living at the broadway hotel just a few blocks from my work. I'm okay at the moment it seems to be kind of a waiting game with insurence, lots of inspectors and red tape. So I don't know what's going to happen yet.

SweaterVest
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

dune buggy
91' VW GTI 8v

Postby MT-Getto on Jan Sat 21, 2017 9:48 am

Dude.......... Sorry :(
Hang in there and keep a positive outlook.
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby Mikewire on Jan Mon 23, 2017 9:37 am

For sure, and if there's anything you need don't hesitate to let us know.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby SweaterVest on Mar Tue 14, 2017 12:28 am

I got some shinny things back today! Still waiting on some parts for the head. The bottom end will go back together soon enough though.
I also picked up some 63" chevy half ton leaf springs that I might be retro fitting into this truck (might actually be the very first American automotive part I've ever bought??) Toyotas are kind famous for having sagging rear ends and flat springs. So rather than replacing them with stock spring I thought I might as well put a longer heavier spring in that won't go flat quite as easy. Plus, it should give me a slight lift and way more suspension travel (aka seen point AND ride quality. I didn't even know that was possible to do both at the same time.)

SweaterVest
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

dune buggy
91' VW GTI 8v

Postby benno3231 on Mar Wed 15, 2017 4:22 pm

I wan't to know how the leaf springs work out for you. Best of luck with your house too.
-Fukengruven

92 S4
91 Golf VR6
benno3231
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby SweaterVest on Mar Fri 24, 2017 1:16 am

This makes me so happy. Something about putting internals together, brings out my inner car nerd I think. Well I got the block all assembled, pretty excited about that.
Also I got most of the head put together. Valves, springs, guide and seals all in. Then I went to torque the camshaft in and all 6 of the bolts that hold it down were striped out. I should have got a different core. This head has been nothing but garbage. All the valves were bent or had already been ground down to far to use, the head has been surface ground down to minimum specs, and the seats seemed a bit iffy for a while. I should have gone with my gut early on and looked for a new head. Either way it's all good to go now and all the cam bolts got helicoiled sooo..

SweaterVest
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

dune buggy
91' VW GTI 8v

PreviousNext

Return to Other Projects