LED headlights

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

LED headlights

Postby padroB5 on Jan Tue 06, 2015 1:02 pm

well I have been pondering this thought some time now an I was thinking about going to LED headlights on the Silverado. I have HID in the Passat low and high beam an like it a lot. but I know that LED technology has come an is going along way. From Youtube videos with a little translation the Germans have been working on it an seems to be a pretty good way to go for a upgrade, but don't get me wrong I like the coolness/effencensy of the HID. but I like the low power demand that the LED headlight bulb has to offer. my question to you guys is that 1.have any of you used/run any of these. 2 any exsperions with them. 3. what are or any problems or downfalls? thank you for your input please :)
My wagon ant fast just gets Groceries fast.....
WAGONS NEED LOVE TOOOOOOOO!!!!!(quoted the wife)

VW,
Yes it is Fast,
NO, you can't Drive it!
padroB5
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 00Passat2.8.toy
05 silvarado1500

Re: LED headlights

Postby 201motels on Jan Wed 07, 2015 11:27 am

Should have longer life than hid's too. I'm a fan of brighter lights but I hate getting flashed all the time. :laughing:
201motels
In the passengers seat...

Vehicles: 2018 Sea Doo GTX Limited 300

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jan Thu 08, 2015 9:20 am

We are starting to get them in at work. The kits are pretty badass, way nicer than any of the Chinese HID kits around. The actual LED is huge, about 3/4", (one LED on single beams, 2 on Hi/Lo bulbs) which in the history of LEDs is pretty big. The think that I didn't expect was the on-bulb fans. I always thought that LEDs ran much cooler, and lasted longer than traditional bulbs. The kits we have, have a about a 1.5" square fan setup hanging straight off the back of the bulb, so if you have a battery, or washer fluid reservoir right behind your headlamp assembly, these are not for you. That fan also requires it's own power hookup, so another set of wires for each bulb. They have an external ballast/power supply like an HID kit, so not much different there. I don't think they are available in as many colors as the HIDs are, but that may be based on the nature of the LEDs themselves. I am needing to upgrade the lights in my truck, and I have used DDM Tuning HIDs in the Jetta for a couple years and had no problems, but I have heard rumors in the industry that the HID bubble is about to burst. I have even heard that PIAA will no longer be developing incandescent bulb technology after Q3 of 2015, in favor of LED. The HID kits are just so damn inexpensive these days, I have a hard time jumping on the LED bandwagon just yet. Light output of the LED kits is very comparable to the HIDs, but they run cooler, have instant start up, and last longer (in theory, I don't think they have really been on the market long enough to back that up) This is a pic of a set in action, Passenger side is standard incandescent bulb, Driver is LED. This was in the shop with most of the lights off.

Discuss.

201motels wrote:Should have longer life than hid's too. I'm a fan of brighter lights but I hate getting flashed all the time. :laughing:

Get your headlights aimed! I run HIDs all the time in the Jetta, and never get flashed. I have awesome light coverage as well.

Oh, wait. Did you get the 55w 10000k bulbs or something ridiculous like that?
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby 201motels on Jan Thu 08, 2015 10:51 am

Rennwagen1 wrote:Oh, wait. Did you get the 55w 10000k bulbs or something ridiculous like that?

Yep I got the hella ricey purple bulbs and put them into stock headlight housings with no proper retrofit projectors. ;) :laughing:
201motels

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jan Thu 08, 2015 10:59 am

Is it in an A4? I just saw one exactly like that!

You can pay for school, but you can't buy class.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

Captain Pajama Shark
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Postby 201motels on Jan Thu 08, 2015 12:14 pm

There's a few cars around town with hid's in stock headlight housings that don't have projectors. Pretty easy to tell when they're in oncoming traffic.

To be fair though I did install a hid kit in one of my old Subarus years ago. They were bright but I lost my brights and got flashed alot because the light was scattered all over the place. Not kewl.
201motels

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jan Thu 08, 2015 12:22 pm

See I have them in regular (aftermarket) non-projector housings and get really good coverage, and very little scatter. Mine are made by Hella though, so maybe ze Germans did it right?

Captain Pajama Shark
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Postby padroB5 on Jan Mon 12, 2015 11:31 pm

Renn can you post a picture of kit you are talking about so I can see the size of the led / bulb . I can really see the difference in the picture with the jeep. I have looked at some kits on line for about 70ish non China brand lol. Thanks for the input it's greatly apreaseated.

I have 5000k his in the passat an own housing an only been flashed twice. If you realine an bring the light down just a little bit solves most flashing problems if have found out but still gets the light out too
My wagon ant fast just gets Groceries fast.....
WAGONS NEED LOVE TOOOOOOOO!!!!!(quoted the wife)

VW,
Yes it is Fast,
NO, you can't Drive it!
padroB5
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 00Passat2.8.toy
05 silvarado1500

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jan Tue 13, 2015 9:12 am

ImageImageImage

The pen and AA battery are for reference only. They are not, I repeat not for sale. They are mine#

Captain Pajama Shark
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Postby Mikewire on Jan Tue 13, 2015 9:19 am

Interesting. What's retail on those LED bulbs?

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Next