I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese

Postby Mrbubblehead on Oct Sat 18, 2014 12:02 pm

So this year I sold the 2008 ford, the 1966 bug, and the 2003 Passat. I bought a new 2014 Xterra Pro4x and a 1990 Toyota v6 Pick Up. I needed a at least one new vehicle with a warranty. The Toyota has 218k well maintained but has some issues. Found it in Missoula got it home and it is in pieces currently more info and pics to follow.
1987 Scirocco 16V
Mrbubblehead
In the passengers seat...

Vehicles: 1966 VW Bug, B5.5 in the works

Re: I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese

Postby Mrbubblehead on Oct Sun 19, 2014 7:52 am

So I've been looking for a Old Toyota pick up for some time now. When you find them they are either beat to shit, modified, beat to shit and modified or in amazing shape and extremely expensive. Since I could not afford a really nice one I was looking for one I can work with. We drove out to Red Lodge the day before we went to Missoula. I didn't get the one in Red Lodge because the guys definition of runs good with average wear and tear greatly differed from mine. To me smokes, misses/surges until 2k rpm, low oil pressure, front bumper pushed in, bed and cab caved in on passenger side, drops about 1/2 quart of oil on the ground in about 5min is not my definition of runs good and has average wear and tear. The pictures provided did not reflect any of that and he omitted to tell me that before I drove 2.5hrs to see it. Any who, the one i bough seemed maintained in ok cosmetic and mechanical condition. The guy always took it to the same Toyota shop in Missoula for all the work. After tearing into it I doubt the competence of the POs mechanic. I was told the timing belt and clutch had been done recently, but it needed a rear main seal and a valve adjustment. Dropped the tranny, clutch and flywheel look new, no rear main leak but tranny leak. The guy didn't replace the pilot bearing when the clutch was done, the bearing ceased to be(came apart) and it damaged the tranny front seal. Timing belt also looked new but the tensioners are toast, they were not replaced. the water pump looked new but since I had a new one that came with my timing belt kit I decided to swap it in. The POs mechanic didn't bother with scraping the old gasket off the block(what was left of it) and just rtv'd it on. Still everything looks like it has been maintained. The compression tested within the range of what a new motor should have.
1987 Scirocco 16V
Mrbubblehead

Vehicles: 1966 VW Bug, B5.5 in the works

Re: I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese

Postby benno3231 on Oct Sun 19, 2014 1:46 pm

I dig the truck! good luck man, I hope you don't have to do head gaskets any time soon. At 218k you should be good for a while though. Looks like a great rig :thumbsup:
-Fukengruven

92 S4
91 Golf VR6
benno3231
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Return to Other Projects