2005.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed BRM

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

Re: 2005.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed BRM

Postby Mikewire on Sep Fri 09, 2016 4:06 pm

A few weeks ago Beth and I were running some errands and I started hearing a strange rattling. I thought, oh shit, there's the motor. So I trailered it home and started to diagnose the issue. The noise wasn't anything Iv'e ever heard before, it still drove and ran fine, but the noise seemed to be coming from the bottom end, and I could feel it thought the clutch pedal - upon further investigation we narrowed the problem down to the transmission/clutch.

Here's a quick video, I'm recording while Wade is hitting the throttle:

Wade pointed out this video from Charles, the Humble Mechanic, who you should subscribe and watch BTW:

I figured with 199K on this odometer, it was probably time for a clutch and flywheel. So I ordered up a Valeo simgle mass clutch converssion kit from Europa Parts, and did a teardown.

After pulling the trans and inspecting the clutch/flywheel, here's what I found:

So clutch kit was installed!

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby Mikewire on Sep Fri 09, 2016 4:19 pm

After that I figured I wanted to make it a little nicer to drive daily and put some miles on that new clutch. So I installed a new head unit (well, used from a buddy) and also installed a Pioneer amp and MTX sub in a box. I feel like I'm in high school again lol.

Fixed little shit like:

• 3rd brake light rattle from a broken retainer clip:

• Center console cleanup and replacement. The PO had broken out the ciggy lighter, and there was another $4 in change, nicorette gum, and 3 tubes of lip gloss down there...score!!

• Old center console replaced with a new-ish one in much better shape, and a new 12V socket and light (pic is the old console)

• Oil change with LiquiMoly and an OEM filter:

• Coming up is some new rear rotors, which I got with the car form the PO, and some new rear pads. That's this weekend's project

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby MT-Getto on Sep Fri 09, 2016 8:14 pm

Lucky little car :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby 4est on Sep Fri 09, 2016 8:50 pm

Shit ya. also I notice a ALL ROAD in your sig?
4est
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 78 Westfalia, 04 Passat W8, 81 caddy 16v

Postby SweaterVest on Sep Fri 09, 2016 10:04 pm

So are you just super into pulling transmissions, or is this just like a phase that will pass? Lol good work as always. Single mass conversion?
SweaterVest
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 97' VW GTI VR6
dune buggy
91' VW GTI 8v

Postby Mikewire on Nov Sat 26, 2016 12:27 pm

4est wrote:Shit ya. also I notice a ALL ROAD in your sig?

Yup, picked up one on the cheap with a busted transmission. Swap parts are on the way, and a thread is built to post progress, updates soon.

SweaterVest wrote:So are you just super into pulling transmissions, or is this just like a phase that will pass? Lol good work as always. Single mass conversion?

Ugh, it's a pain in the arse to pull, but I've gotten decent at it :laughing: Maintenance is not a regular thing with most car owners, including clutches, plus shit just breaks, you know? For some reason I feel compelled to fix everything ;)

Warning, log post coming up. Get your popcorn...

Rear brake job completed, no real issues other than a caliper bolt that had been stripped by the PO. I had to grind off the head and replace it with a new one.

Next, the dogbone bushing in the chassis was beginning to wear out, which causes a back and forth vibration in the cabin. Luckily there's some options, and I chose the Neuspeed 65 durometer insert:

After that, the front left headlight had a broken tab. VW makes a repair kit, which I had some doubts about, but I think it ended up being a pretty good fix. Bravo VW:

This is the kit for the left/drivers side, it comes with three differernt tabs and retainer screws

Bumper has to come off on the MKV to get to the headlight tabs

Broken tab was the one right in the front

Pull the light out and pick the appropriate tab

That's the one :)

Trim the broken bits or the original tab flush, then the replacement tab will fit and lock into the correct place

Locked in, and secured with a self tapping screw

Reinstalled headlight, and replaced the bumper

Next was a speaker install. The passengers side mid was blown, and after pulling the speaker out I found the magnet had fallen into the door :retard: I picked out some decent coax speakers, nothing to fancy but they sound pretty good

Replaced that side, then went to the drivers side.

This side had more involved because the drivers door microswitch had been giving me trouble, as per usual issue, the door didn't always know it was open or closed. The MKV has a nice way of getting to the door lock module...you can remove the outer door skin, which opens up a nice area to access the module and pull it out for repair

After the speaker had been installed...

It's pretty simple, and I didn't get any pitctures, but basically remove the door lock, handle, and about 15 screws around the door frame, and the outer door skin comes right off

That exposes the door lock module, which can be removed and repaired or replaced

From here, I didn't have any pictures. Basically I separated the mechanical half from the electronic half of the module, and found the microswitch. The outer rubber seal had been torn and worn through, but it seemed that the switch still worked fine. I worked with microswitch out of the door and ended up removing the rubber seal completely, then re-glued/melted the switch back to the assembly. With a little re-positioning and hot glue to help stabilize it, the switch worked great. With the rubber seal gone, I added a dab of grease to help protect from dirt and moisture and reassembled everything, and it worked great.

One last thing - the aux heater had failed - well...I didn't have a full failure, but in testing only 2/3 of the coils worked, and I was getting just a little heat, and a code.

The auxiliary heater provides cabin heat when the car is cold, and heat is called for. The aux heater came on all MKV TDI's, and I ended up finding a replacement from a yard in Phoenix. Should have plenty of life in it :thumbsup:

It's pretty easy to get to, as long as you can stand on your head on the drivers floor. Old on slides out, new one in. Tested with VCDS and I get 900+ watts of heat :beer:

From here, most major and minor issues are pretty much resolved. Windshield needs replaced, and I really want to tint the windows. Almost am at 200K miles, so I'll update when I hit that milestone :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby Mikewire on Dec Mon 12, 2016 10:30 am

Broke 200K last week!

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby MT-Getto on Dec Mon 19, 2016 10:17 am

Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby Manwithouthat on Dec Wed 21, 2016 12:30 am

Bravo! I can't wait until I have a heated garage and only one job! I'll get so much done!
Ghost Panamao X3 [bicycle]
1985 Volkswagen Scirocco 5-spd
1990 Volkswagen Corrado G60 5-spd
2004 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T GLS 5-spd Tiptronic
2007 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 3.6L
Manwithouthat
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: 85 Rocco
90 Rado G60
07 Touareg