2003 MK4 Jetta TDI - Daily Driver

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

2003 MK4 Jetta TDI - Daily Driver

Postby kevin286 on Apr Thu 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Figured I'd just log stuff here all in one place rather that sporadic specific topic postings.
New to me Jetta. Got it middle of Feb. 2014 in San Antonio, just under 200k miles.

Current issues:
Airbag light on
Electronic stability? light is on
Random rattle when idling

Off the bat I changed the oil with Mobil 0-40w vw505 spec. Kinda digging the cartridge oil filter, neat-o. :) Glad to report that it's not using oil, might be the first car I've had that doesn't.

Recently I went digging for the random rattle. Checked the motor/transmission and dogbone/pendulem mount
Look good

Found the flex coupling off the down pipe is wearing out and will need replacing at some point. Had a thought that this may be the rattle, but started the car and pushed the motor forward while running with a jack and rattle did not present. :\

While I was working down there, I noticed a torn CV boot. Found that replacement boots are 20 per side so I just did remanufactured axles at 50 each. Turns out you need a special tool, 8mm 12point triple square which I couldn't find locally so I ordered a set of those.

While I was waiting for those to show up, I thought I'd check the intake manifold since this is common to clog up with carbon from the EGR.
Oh, looky there what I found.

These are block offs for the EGR at the exhaust manifold and also at the entrance to the EGR cooler. Sweet!
Decided to continue anyways with the dissemble and it looked good, but I touched it up a tiny bit.

I got the car from a dealer and don't have maintinence history on it. I do know it has DieselGeek short shift kit and the DieselGeek heavy duty Panzer skid plate.

Since I don't know the history, I ordered the DieselGeek timing belt kit and the tools to do it. Just waiting to save some more $$$ so that I can get the software to tune it before doing the timing belt change. I suspect given that the car look well maintained that the TB has been done already, but for peace of mind :nod:
kevin286
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: 02 M3, 06 Taco DCSB, 90 240 Wagon

Re: 2003 MK4 Jetta TDI - Daily Driver

Postby benno3231 on Apr Thu 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Lookin good! I could've told you that the triple squares can be bought at Oreillys for 6 bucks with lifetime warranty...
-Fukengruven

92 S4
91 Golf VR6
benno3231
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby kevin286 on May Tue 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Having trouble getting 2nd coming from 3rd on downshift.
Because of the DG shortshift kit, my first item to check is that shift linkage is adjusted correctly.
DG has a good document on installing. Followed that plus pimped my older cable ends like the new ones come.

First, most important, is get setup with instructions and beverage. Its AM so coffee :thumbsup:

Make a shifter lockout tool. DG sells one, but also says that a 20 penny nail works. Sure enough, darn near 5mm.

Next, document how it looks currently, just in case I f it up and have to put it back like it was

Then removed the billion, okay only 5 screws per cable end. I had some difficulty getting the cable ends off so I tapped two of the holes to accept a 6mm bolt to use as spreaders. The new kits come like this. Makes getting them on, and having them the critical "must freely slide" as per manual

Installed them and double, triple, quadruple checked that they slide free

Locked out the shifter with the sweet 5mm locking pin

Then tightened them down

Going through the adjustment like this, I did notice that one cable is seated further into the cable end. This makes sense, as now, the small phillips screw will thread all the way into the cable end. I think it was out of adjustment a small (1/8") amount.

Took it for a test drive. Shifts through the gears fine, I can't tell any difference honestly.
Still hard to go from 3rd to 2nd.

Skip a few days, brilliant idea. Try double clutching on 3rd to 2nd changes and she slips right in. I suspect either 1) someone put GL-5 ("no" mr. autoparts store employee, GL-5 is NOT a replacement for GL-4 :banghead: ) in the transaxle or 2) 2nd syncro is worn out.
kevin286
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Postby kevin286 on May Tue 06, 2014 7:14 pm

Time to change to a GL-4 oil. I've had very positive results using Redline before in my Toyota crawler & 325IX. More $$$ but worth it IMHO.

Need 2 L to complete this, so have to buy 3 Q :\ :\ :\

Got my super special tool for this. 17mm inside hex on the plugs.

First make sure I can loosen the fill plug (check) and remove prior to removing drain. Little pro tip there :finger:

Next loosen the drain plug

Get pan in place and big important pro tip, pop the vent on the drain pan. Don't ask how I know this :laughing:

Let oil drain. Go do something productive, or not and just update stuff on the internet :rolleyes:
kevin286
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Postby benno3231 on May Tue 06, 2014 8:35 pm

nice write up! hope your 2nd gear isn't worn out
-Fukengruven

92 S4
91 Golf VR6
benno3231
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby kevin286 on May Tue 06, 2014 10:19 pm

The best tool I've found so far for refilling diffs, transmissions, etc. Old errr, mature man called this a rosebud or rose gun? chime in if you know the official name, big giant syringe type deal.

Fill'er'up

Till it's dripping or running out

And while you're under there, go ahead and tighten those bolts that hold the wheel on. My dumb ass forgot to tighten those I guess when I was doing the CV axles

Feels buttery on the upshift. Still no go on the 3rd to 2nd. Only thing that has me doubting the syncro is that if I down shift from 3rd into 2nd, then go to neutral only for a second, and try to go right back into second, it wont go.
It's been my experience that if you come out of the gear, and try to go right back in, it should go, syncro or not. This because the gear set is spinning at the correct speed to mesh, and the brief time in neutral isn't enough for them to spin down and come out of sync.
Also, its doesn't eventually let me into 2nd if I hold pressure, as if it's trying to spin up the gear for the change, it just refuses. :screwy: dunno, doesn't look like a new syncro ring is that expensive, it's just the work :eek:
kevin286
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Postby SweaterVest on May Tue 06, 2014 11:05 pm

I love your 17mm 'Allen' socket!! Great idea
SweaterVest
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 97' VW GTI VR6
dune buggy
91' VW GTI 8v

Postby kevin286 on May Wed 07, 2014 11:19 am

Scooby crank bolt to the rescue
kevin286
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Postby kevin286 on May Fri 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Silly little update.
My third brake light was loose from the parcel tray. Like this the light was lifted up and kinda showing the wires underneath.

Hard to see since it's in the sun but...

folded the rear seats down lifted up, a few button clips holding the front down. Then slide forward.
Once out it was clear that the brake light was just not clipped into place in the tray. Nothing broke, so just clipped it back in.

While I had the tray out, I vacuumed it off, vacuumed the carpet strip and applied some 301 to the grills.

Installing was pretty straight forward, just had to pay attention to make sure the j hook clip things on the underside of the parcel tray slid into the slots in the truck metal roof

fixed. meh. it's the little things though :cool:

kevin286
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Postby Mikewire on May Sat 17, 2014 9:47 am

Very nice. Fixing stuff like that makes all the difference.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Next