2003 MK4 Jetta TDI - Daily Driver

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

Re: 2003 MK4 Jetta TDI - Daily Driver

Postby kevin286 on Apr Sun 19, 2015 7:42 pm

So... Update time.
For the most part I'm just going to regurgitate a bunch of photos. A few lessons learned.
1) Have help when gluing down the new headliner.
2) start in the middle and work out to the sides.
3) there is ZERO working time with headliner glue.

Here I had to use my foot to hold up the one side while my hand held up the other of the sunroof to get it screwed back into place.

This is the problem when you start at the rear and work your way to the front. Why you should start in the middle and work out to the sides. I lucked out and was able to hide the seam pretty good I think but this could have been a disaster.

Back in. Found it was easier to put it in through the passenger front door than it was through the trunk.

In order to recover the A,B,C pillars I had to peal the fabric from the foam backing. PITA for sure.

Oh, and these "bitch clips"... well they are even more of a pain to get back on. Zionks! This is the position you start with them in, then lots of fiddling and cursing and praying to the almighty and you CAN get them back installed. Sheesh, I'd almost rather take a piece of plastic to the head in the event of airbag deployment...

Oh yeah, dropped a washer and it went down between the sheet metal and the carpet. Had to dissasemble WAY more than was reasonable for this. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: On the plus side, I discovered that my bottom seat flips up and has these cool spots to store the headrests in. Sweet !

Rear view mirror wire.. Not sure if I did that or what. Needed fixing.

And there we go.. Looking pretty good. Need to get the sunroof motor cover back on (in the mail from eBay) and then it'll be good to go.

Hooking the new antenna up. What's the other antenna port on the back of the radio; anybody know? One is clearly labeled FM 50ohm but the other one is ??? Also found out there's a test mode by holding the MIX button. Cool, shows that the antenna is powered and stations are coming in strong. I'm not sure what "MP" and "ADJ" are but the values go higher when the station is static and are 1 or close to 1 when the station is coming in nice and clear.

Also got new fender liners and put the driver side in today. What a pile of dirt and leaves in there. My goodness.

Progress
:beer: :beer: :beer:
kevin286
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: 02 M3, 06 Taco DCSB

Postby Mikewire on Apr Sun 19, 2015 9:54 pm

Dang! Nice work! I wish I knew about the headliner glue when I did my Caddy headliner, it ended up falling.

I think the green connector would be for a dual Fakra amplified antenna, most likely not used in the USA.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby kevin286 on Apr Mon 27, 2015 10:47 am

Final piece in. All in all it's much better than it was. Certainly not perfect though.
With the time spent on this I had hoped for better, but the money spent wasn't huge so... I give myself 3.75 stars.

All my clips were busted off
Bought a dirty panel from eBay as new are $$$
Recovered
Installed
Also... this happened. Random coincidence while in portland last week.
kevin286
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Postby benno3231 on Apr Mon 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Great job on the headliner. Thats a lot of work!
-Fukengruven

92 S4
91 Golf VR6
benno3231
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby kevin286 on May Mon 18, 2015 11:01 am

So my fortune

But, I did get my bumper and fender back from the paint place. I ended up talking to 2 professional collision shops who both quoted me about 700 dollars to spray the bumper and fender. This would be a blend into the hood and door. I didn't really want to spend that on a car this old so I went with a garage type paint place that one of the collision shops told me about. This was a 200 dollar job. I wasn't expecting perfection and didn't get it, but it matches close enough for me. It's mixed to the paint code so I expect the paint is spot on, it just doesn't quite match because the rest of the car has faded over the years. Its CERTAINLY much better looking than it was when it was all bent up and damaged.

Various stages of re-assembly
For some reason my hood strut took a crap too. :banghead:
Needed to cut a hole out for one of the grill clips. No big deal.
These biznatchs are the cats meow for putting the hood release pull back on the dealio. Tool is meant for axle retaining clips but hey :unibrow:
Had to hose off all the dust. No polishing and wax for a couple of weeks I guess.
In this view the camera really picks out the color differences. Camera actually shows it better than my eye.
Oh SNAP dawg! Are those bumper grills all intact and inlace... Sh*t's legit man :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Oh, what's this?! That's my garage stall without a dead car carcass in it. :cool: :cool: BOOM!
Put away normal like. Ready for romping.

Will update when I test to see if I've actually fixed the limp mode. :beer:
kevin286
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Postby benno3231 on May Sun 24, 2015 11:47 am

That's turned out really good! The paint color may mellow a bit as it sits in the sun, you never know.
-Fukengruven

92 S4
91 Golf VR6
benno3231
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby kevin286 on May Wed 27, 2015 3:55 pm

So... been playing with the VCDS a little. I'm still a noobie, please don't hurt me :crybaby:

Check this out, there's a test I could have done to check the N75 before I bought a new one and replaced it.
Ha, oh well... New one works great though.

Engine -> group 10 test. Mass air pressure. Looks like that's about 37 PSI. Ruff ruff :laughing:
edit: oh I wonder if I need to subtract atmospheric.. 907mbar 13psi... 37 - 13 = 24 PSI ? Dunno. :screwy: I bet that's it.

Engine -> group 11. Boost specified vs boost actual. I'm curious why actual (YELLOW) seems to go higher than specified (GREEN). Anyone here done this test on theirs and seen same/different results?

It's not going into limp mode anymore though so I'm pretty happy.
kevin286
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Postby Roadhog on May Wed 27, 2015 5:38 pm

If that is actually your correct boost, a blown turbo is in your future. It should be around 15 psi. You might want to check your actuator adjustment.
Roadhog
I heart LOLcats

I heart LOLcats

Vehicles:  

Postby kevin286 on May Wed 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Humm. You could be right roadhog. Internet is saying normal operating is 15 with spikes to 17-20. So I'm hitting a little hard. I did adjust actuator as per VW service bulletin at install but can try shortening down the rod a bit. I wonder if car has chip? Would that manifest like this? Is it easy to check; pull ecu, look for aftermarket chip?
kevin286
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Postby kevin286 on May Wed 27, 2015 7:47 pm

Err on second thought. Rod length should stay, adjust stop screw in a little bit?
kevin286
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

PreviousNext

Return to VW/Audi