Moderators: Mikewire, Rennwagen1

Mikewire
Site Admin
Site Admin
Vehicles: Air and Water

Re: Projekt Uber Geizig 1972 VW Bus Deluxe 9 Passenger

Post by Mikewire »

A few updates!

Going back a few months ago, I replaced the rubber seats stand mats with now ones from Bus Depot, which I think are produced by Wolfsburg West (?). Still wanting a solution for the middle area, I'll have to figure something out there, but both the left and right sides look awesome!

Went ahead an ordered the seat cushions and covers from Sewfine. It was a bit of an expense but I needed to replace my OEM seat covers something terrible. I disassembled the seats down to the frames, cleaned and painted them with some black primer/paint and reassembled. First put a layer of burlap down with hog rings, them the cushion with a bit of spray adhesive and few more hog rings, then slid the covers over the frames. I ended up using just a bit of wire (it's the type of wire used when installing drop ceilings) in the end channels to reinforce and shape the edges where they lock into the tabs around the frame of the seats, especially on the drivers side seat. Again, this was a really nice update, and it really makes the Bus much more fun to drive and looks fantastic. Here's a few pictures from the install:

I cleaned up the cargo area, and was able to re-glue the OEM vinyl panel back to a new panel I had recreated quite some time ago. Now with my window seals being new and refreshed it water won't leak into the interior.

I also picked up a couple of boxes of laminated flooring I'm going to install on the cargo floor, which should match the interior pretty well.

The fuel system was giving me some trouble. Because I haven't driven it very far in some time, I figured it was fuel related, so I drained all the old fuel out, which was nasty. I also ended up replacing 3 more fuel injectors with new ones from Bus Depot. Fuel lines looks fine, and with everything new and fresh fuel in the tank, it's running pretty well now. I spotted a couple of small leaks from either pushrod tubes or the left valve cover so I may need to address that, but now I need to get it licensed in TX and I should be able to drive it to the shows.

Installed the gauges into the lower dash and wired them up with lights. I have voltage, oil pressure and oil temp. Oil temp...I'l have to get a Porsche 914 taco plate for it to work.

The horn has never worked since I have owned it, so I started looking into the horn circuit and found that the tab at the bottom of the steering column had been bent in and out of the way. Probably from the PO that didn't want to deal with it, or didn't want to fix the horn...because it would be on constant blast if the circuit isn't correctly wired. Anyway, I picked up a new horn, pulled the column and fixed the tab, reattached the wire, and made sure the outside of the column was not grounded to the vehicle. Picked up new horn springs, horn bar, and and the circuit is now correct and the horn button works fine with a nice little 'beep'!

Oh, one more item - I need to replace one of the tie rods, I realized it was bent and I have had a replacement for some time that just needs to get swapped in.

2017 VW GTI | APR Stage 2
2021 VW Atlas SEL Premium 4-Motion
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
YASHA7FOLD
Euro Addict!!!
Euro Addict!!!
Vehicles: 58 Buggy,65 Baja,69 Beetle, 72 Westy

Re: Projekt Uber Geizig 1972 VW Bus Deluxe 9 Passenger

Post by YASHA7FOLD »

Sweet beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.R13 5 (o\!/o)
..╚╬╬╝
... 24
Mikewire
Site Admin
Site Admin

1972 VW Bus Deluxe 9 Passenger - Projekt Uber Geizig

Post by Mikewire »

Lots of updates here, I'll try to list them out in a kind of chronological order over the last year or so. Ill go ahead and list them out, and then add pictures as I go along and edit and add multiple posts. Ok let's get started!

Tie rod and steering dampener - one tie rod was bent, and also obviously OEM so it was replaced with a new one. Also a new steering dampener:

Oil pressure, oil temp and voltage gauge, including Tgetting the proper bulb and bulb holder for the VDO tach, so now I have lighting on all gauges:

Dropped the oil strainer to replace seals and also Installed the 914 taco plate and sender, plus the updated thermostat cable roller...a nice little piece!

Removed and rebuild half shafts with new CV boots, grease and ened having to replace one CV joint that had too much wear in the bearing tracks. Took the time to clean and paint the CV chafts themselves because I really liked the look of the clean gloss grey, which is the Rust-Oleum Professional Epoxy in a can:

That's all for tonight - I have a lot more to type up, which will be coming soon!

FAQ | Forum rules
YASHA7FOLD
Euro Addict!!!
Euro Addict!!!
Vehicles: 58 Buggy,65 Baja,69 Beetle, 72 Westy

Re: 1972 VW Bus Deluxe 9 Passenger - Projekt Uber Geizig

Post by YASHA7FOLD »

Spending them G’s. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.R13 5 (o\!/o)
..╚╬╬╝
... 24
Mikewire
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mikewire »

YASHA7FOLD wrote: Nov Tue 03, 2020 12:47 pm Spending them G’s. Lol
Yeah, surprisingly not a ton of bucks but I made sure to make a budget, plan and buy parts as needed. Toughest part is comparing price vs. quality and making that decision. But most of the time I've chosen the quality part rather than saving a few bucks - sticking to my "buy nice or buy twice" philosophy - that does take more $$ and time saving. With not a lot of other projects and more time, given 2020 is sucking a big D, I have more time too. :cool:

Just orgainzed my photos a little so I'll post another update shortly when I have time.

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mikewire »

Ok here we go...this is a huge update from all the work I've done on the bus over the last year or so. It's been off and and on, but most of the work I've been thinking of doing has now been completed. I even licensed and insured it so I can go (legally) drive it! :thumbsup:
  1. Slider windows on both driver and passengers side middle windows. These were somewhat hard to find, but I was able to track a set down. I ordered individual parts to rebuild each one, all with new rubber seals and felt sliders, even the plastic guides were replaced.

I also installed all solid glass in the rear side windows, removing the vent style windows. All windows have new window rubber, and while the windows were removed, I cleaned up and did rust mitigation, painted with primer and painted the upper white trim area. Looks pretty fresh!

2. Blazecut installed
    Pretty easy to install, just zip-tied it to the upper engine panel in a circular pattern. didn't get any after install photos

3. Front transmission mount
    Removed and replaced the broken front mount, it was cracked and wasn't supporting anything in the front. Still shifted fine, but it's much more solid now...no photos! I just took care of it :)
  4. Painted air box support
    F.I. airbox support I had fabricated was an item I had never painted. It is bolted in, so I unbolted it, prepped it and painted with classic Grey Pro paint. Much better! Before and after...

5. Subfloor and laminate flooring
    Was at Lowe's one day and found some laminate flooring for $10 a box, which is super cheap! Picked up some plywood for a subfloor and installed the laminate on top. It works with the theme and looks great!

6. Curtains and curtain rails
    Not a camper, but I wanted some curtains. Maybe one day I'll put in a rock-n-roll bed or something so I can camp or overnight in it. Anyway, it was easy to make the curtains, but took some time there, and found OEM style curtain rails from NLA parts across the pond

7. Interior bits and pieces, curtain straps and coat hangers, knob icon inserts
    Little bits and bobs, sourced from Bus Depot and GoWesty made the little things happen and complete the look

8. Turn signal rebuild
    Rebuilt the OEM 1972 only-type switch with some internal parts from a very smart Gent who is 3d printing reproduction peices in ABS. It was a bit of a puzzle to get to fit and work, but it worked great and now I have the original 5-pin turn selector which is much nicer than the newer/crappy generic 7-pin replacement

9. Fuel sender and access hatch
    Biggest decision i've had to make was to cut an access hole, but also probably the best decision I've made lol. Cut the hole safely and without incident, and also replaced the fuel sender. Again the part was made by another smart fellow enthiast, fits well and solves the problem

10. Painted firewall and added support for the decel valve
    Painted the rear firewall while it was out for the fuel access hole activity, and also created a 90 degree mounting bracket for the decel valve

11. New AAC steering wheel
    One of the best functional and aesthetic upgrades I've done so far, a new AAC steering wheel procured from The Bus Barn in Arkansas. Thanks to Sam (the owner) for being awesome and bringing these super high quality parts from the UK

12. Replaced all fuel lines
    Pulled and replaced all the fuel lines with Gates Barricade FI rated fuel hose, needed to be done even though my older hose was doing OK, this makes me feel better about potentially having to fill up with an ethanol fuel blend

13. Dakota Digital CHT gauge
    Added a very cool piece that will help let me know and be proactive if my air/oil head temp and cooling system is compromised or has an issue. Been wanting one of these for a while, and while the sender install wasn't easy it was easier to do while I had the fuel system disconnected while rebuilding and changing fuel lines

14. Painted exhaust and intake runners
    Rust treated and coated, and then painted with Eastwood's high temp paint. Looks good with new hardware and will resist corrosion for a long time
  15. GeeBee Silicone intake gasket and intake tube seals
    Found this new product when cruising The Samba, pretty cheap seals and better than the OEM style

16. All new German door seals
    Replaced all door seals with new German WCM seals. Wasn't tough, and used just a few dabs of 3M yellow weatherstrip glue. Doors shut pretty well, but the best bit is that they don't leak anymore!

Didn't really get any pictures... :beer:
  17. OEM style ground straps
    Added a new shiny ground strap on the transmission :)
  18. Butty's Bits accel upgrade
    Really great upgrade...this kit gives a smoother pedal action and a spring return on the throttle pedal itself - easy to install and makes the pedal much more responsive

19. Cleaned up wiring and engine bay wiring bundling
    Pretty self explanatory, just cleaned up the bundle, added some weatherproof connectors and made sure it's all tucked in nice and cleaner than it was before

20. Engine hatch seals, front turn signal seals
    All seals from WCM, really nice and glued in for the back hatch. The front turn signals fit well and look much better than the old crusty ones

21. Tune up and valve adjustment
    Just did a basic tune up with a valve adjustment, new plugs, condenser, cap/rotor and spark plugs. Runs really well now!
I've been polishing up the paint some here and there, it's starting to look really good. Hoping there's some shows in 2021 to get to so I can get out and drive and show off some of the hard work :beer:

FAQ | Forum rules