my 80 pickup project

Models manufactured from 1975 to 1984

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire, kompressorgolf

my 80 pickup project

Postby AudiJoe on May Tue 28, 2013 1:24 am

Hello guys i have spent most of my life around older audis but a friend came across this pickup gave up on the project so here i am with it. 1980 rabbit pickup with a 1.6. for starters this thing has sat in a barn a very long time! the fuel system was not too happy with sitting. So it will only start with starting fluid and only run with someone running the gas pedal and this was only achieved after quite a bit of work (replaced pump, fuel dizzy and ran tons of cleaner through the lines). i have acquired a 1.8 out of someone's mid 80's convertible project so i am almost done rebuilding that engine. then i acquired an early 90's converible that runs but is quite a rough car so i will part out. just how difficult will it be to swap over things like the electronic fuel injection and possibly ignition system to that 1.8? i am thinking i will swap in the 1.8 and then transfer over all the electronic stuff from the convertible. anyone done anything like this? i am not looking for crazy power i am just hoping to have a lil pick up that will haul my dirtbike and me around possibly two bikes if it an handle it...

any and all help, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated

AudiJoe
n00b...

n00b...

Re: my 80 pickup project

Postby MT-Getto on May Tue 28, 2013 8:17 am

Nice truck! Find some non American Racing wheels :) I'm sure MikeWire is gonna pipe up here. He has just been through one of these. His thread may save you some time troubleshooting.
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby AudiJoe on May Tue 28, 2013 11:56 am

well unfortunately this build is on a budget and i needed to get this thing off the ol' 13's that had tires that were litterally falling apart. and these came up cheap and with decent tires so they'll probably stick around for the summer... possibly just become winter wheels
AudiJoe
n00b...

n00b...

Postby 4est on May Tue 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Solid looking truck! Nice score. I would say swaping over the FI from a late cabby would go pretty easy. I would try to stick out the CIS since its already there.
I would be interested in the cabby parts car if you don't go that route.
4est
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 78 Westfalia, 04 Passat W8, 81 caddy 16v

Postby Mikewire on May Tue 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Stick with the CIS-Basic in the truck - it's much less complicated than the CIS-Lambda(?) in the Cab. Do some reseach, because I think you can swap over the block with minimal mods and run the 1.8 with the CIS-Basic (maybe, I'm not too good with Cabby knowledge and the 1.8 in the Cabby vs. GTI and MKI).

CIS is easy to troubleshoot if you have all the parts and pieces clean and non-varnished. As long as the plunger in the fuel distributor moves up and down, and the air flap in the air box goes up and down, and your injectors are clean, it should be getting fuel to the cylinders. Google for CIS troubleshooting and you'll find the same things I did on how to troubleshoot fuel to the injectors. Read through my thread as well, you'll probably find some info there as well.

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=3117

Also be sure to get your banjo bolts in the proper area, and be aware the fuel intake banjo bolt has a check valve built in...or your fuel won't flow to the dizzy. Ask me how I know...

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby AudiJoe on May Wed 29, 2013 12:47 am

i have actually put in quite a bit of time on the cis system and have just about given up i have been around the cis systems quite a bit just usually with one more cylinder... but this one is by far gummed up the worst! i figure i would have to replace everything thats why i was hoping to take the injection system off the i believe 92 convertible (my parts car) because that car atleast runs... and i already have a 1.8 out of a different convertible that i am almost done rebuilding. we'll see what happens in next couple weeks when i get some more time on my hands to mess with this thing.
AudiJoe
n00b...

n00b...

Postby Mikewire on May Wed 29, 2013 10:25 am

My Caddy sat in a lady's back yard for 10 years with old gas in it, so I feel you there.

I struggled as well, but was able to resuscitate it using all the original parts, including the injectors (and the cold start inj.), lines, WUR, fuel distributor and air box/flap. I cleaned everything with carb spray and compressed air, and the only thing that needed replaced was the pump and filter. After doing all that work, my 1.8 actually runs too rich and needs to be adjusted.

On a side note, I just found my original fuel distributor, which I rebuilt, so that will be changing it out soon.

So I guess what I'm saying is you can probably get that CIS-Basic to work. But I know the struggle, so a swap would be cool to see :thumbsup: One of the differences between CIS-Basic and Lambda is the O2 sensor...can you swap over the exhaust from the Cab, or do you have a plan to run or delete the O2 sensor? I've wondered what others have done, but never asked.

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby 4est on May Wed 29, 2013 10:32 am

I could be wrong but i think 90-93 cabbys are Bosch Digifant efi.
4est
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 78 Westfalia, 04 Passat W8, 81 caddy 16v

Postby Mikewire on May Wed 29, 2013 10:59 am

^ Yup looks like they used a mix of Digi I and Digi II in the USA after 1989. Outside the USA CIS-Lambda was used, so my mistake there cause I thought it went up to 1993 in the USA. Then again, I know dick about Cabby's/tuna baskets. :unibrow:

I guess a Digifant swap would still work with mods, but why torture yourself further...I would just figure out the problem with the CIS-Basic and roll it. :heart:

http://www.cabby-info.com/fuel.htm

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby paintballguy424 on May Wed 29, 2013 12:56 pm

Digi II on 49 state cabbys and Digi I on California cars Digi I. California cars have the check engine light in the dash and computer port under shifter boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road
1969 Beetle
Rennwagen1 wrote:I'll hug it out bitch.

paintballguy424
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: 2009 Tacoma TRD Off Road
69 Beetle

Next

Return to Golf I & Jetta I