Hard starting issue

Models manufactured from 1975 to 1984

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire, kompressorgolf

Hard starting issue

Postby 76scirocco on Jun Wed 22, 2011 1:35 pm

I have an 86 Jetta with a 1.6 swapped into it out of some older car. It has a complete early CIS system on it. It ran great during the cold months, but the warmer it gets the worse it gets. It will start great if it has sat for a while or if it was just running. If you try to start it after it has sat more than 30 minutest but less than three hours it has issues. It started out with a dead miss and would clear out if you revved id like an injector was leaking. I changed the injector on the #2 hole which is the one that is dead and it didn't make a difference. I blocked off the cold start valve for a couple days and it still did not make a difference. It only does this if the temps get above 50, on cold days its fine.

Now it has been worse this week when we have been near 80 degrees. Sometimes it doesn't want to start during the normal 30 min to 3 hours unless you hold the gas to the floor like its flooded. It cleans out with a few blips of the throttle once its started. It runs great once its started and still pulls 32mpg.

If anyone has had problems like this before, or some tips let me know. It's kinda embarrasing to fire up your car and have it miss for a little bit.
76scirocco
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Re: Hard starting issue

Postby YASHA7FOLD on Jun Wed 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Sorry to hear that the gremlins are still in the Jetta. Let me know when you want help to pull that engine or if you need any help with anything else. Laters
.R13 5 (o\!/o)
..╚╬╬╝
... 24
YASHA7FOLD
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 58 Buggy,65 Baja,69 Beetle, 72 Westy

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jun Thu 23, 2011 9:26 pm

Sounds like the mystery "hot start" problem, but I have never had it, and have no idea how to fix it. Sorry. But we named it!
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby PoorHouse on Jun Sat 25, 2011 7:42 am

Can be an issue with fuel pressure bleeding off.

Do you have a fuel pressure tester? If not you can wire a switch into the cold start valve circut, switch it on to add more fuel on a hot start.

If that fixes it you know you are bleeding pressure off somewhere.
PoorHouse
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Vehicles: 78 Rabbit

Postby 76scirocco on Jun Thu 30, 2011 11:14 pm

I swapped out the fuel distributor and now it's much better. Every once in a while it still has a little miss for a few seconds, but hopefully I can track that down soon. At least I can start it up without fear of the horrible crank for 15 seconds with a black cloud of smoke.
76scirocco
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Return to Golf I & Jetta I