Finally Modified the TDI

This forum is for all diesel and TDI owners.

Moderator: BigSkyEuro Moderators

Re: Finally Modified the TDI

Postby Roadhog on Feb Sat 12, 2011 9:28 pm

dyno inaccurate?
Roadhog
I heart LOLcats

I heart LOLcats

Vehicles:  

Postby busafied05 on Feb Sun 13, 2011 12:29 pm

what would be interesting would be to compare mine to DJ's ALH with his mods. Too bad I didn't have a base to start with. My problem is the clutch will slip just a tad when it is cold so I know I am losing some power there.....FYI don't replace with a Valeo if you plan to modify your TDI.
2003 Jetta TDI (125k)
Mods: .658 5th gear swap, Bosio .216 DLC injectors, Qloader from KermaTDI, Valeo SMF clutch Kit
busafied05
n00b...

n00b...

Vehicles: 03 Jetta TDI
02 Tahoe
05 Suzuki GSX1300r

Postby DynoJetta on Feb Sun 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Roadhog wrote:dyno inaccurate?

-Dan Hourigan, Vice President, Dynojet Research, Inc wrote:take your car to 25 different Dynojet dynos, run it up, and I
personally guarantee the horsepower will repeat to within 1/2 HP.

Read up: Truth, Lies, & Dyno Runs
"When you want to be a somebody; you drive a new car...When you know who you are; you drive an old car."
DynoJetta
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: '81 Rabbit Diesel LS
'03 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Postby busafied05 on Feb Mon 14, 2011 12:07 pm

I don't think 118hp is to high, especially with a tuning box.....everything I have read is that the ALH's were very underfueled and could benefit from a tune and injectors. DynoJ have you installed different injectors or thought about doing it? What clutch set up do you have? What does it cost for a few runs on a dyno?
2003 Jetta TDI (125k)
Mods: .658 5th gear swap, Bosio .216 DLC injectors, Qloader from KermaTDI, Valeo SMF clutch Kit
busafied05
n00b...

n00b...

02 Tahoe
05 Suzuki GSX1300r

Postby DynoJetta on Feb Mon 14, 2011 1:46 pm

busafied05 wrote:I don't think 118hp is to high, especially with a tuning box.....everything I have read is that the ALH's were very underfueled and could benefit from a tune and injectors. DynoJ have you installed different injectors or thought about doing it? What clutch set up do you have? What does it cost for a few runs on a dyno?

Stock injectors and stock clutch. Even with the stock injectors I can turn the fuel up more than what the turbo can keep up with ( = black smoke). Before I put my boost controller on it, I was seeing boost spikes of 26psi. I have it set to cut it off at 19. The VNT-15 typically shouldn't be run any higher than 19psi sustained. Some people have run them a little higher without any problems, but I want mine to last. If I were to upgrade the turbo I probably would bump up the injector size also.

As far as the stock clutch, if I keep the box set on stage 2 I don't have any problems. Kick it up to stage 6 or above, especially this time of year, and it'll slip.

I'm not sure what the shops typically charge. There are only a few listed on the Dyno Locator for MT. The DynoJet company dyno isn't open to the public.
"When you want to be a somebody; you drive a new car...When you know who you are; you drive an old car."
DynoJetta
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

'03 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Postby DynoJetta on Feb Mon 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Roadhog wrote:lol how did your alh make 103hp stock.

Image mine.

Couple more run pages (note: car is in complete stock configuration for these runs)

This was right after I cleaned out my intake, 10-06-08 (103.9HP average):
3rd Gear, 66 degrees F, 25.85 in-Hg, 21% Humidity, SAE:1.15

These are the baseline runs I did the day I tested a few tuning boxes 7-17-09:
4th gear, 81 degrees F, 26 in-Hg, 25% Humidity, SAE: 1.16

Best guess... Spencer yours probably makes more than 90HP. Looking at your dyno graph whoever was running the car didn't get on it very hard. Also, the run didn't start at a low enough speed. All my runs I started sampling around 35MPH and they start off with the foot to the floor. If you ease into the peddle, it isn't going to spin it up as fast.
DynoJetta
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

'03 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Postby Roadhog on Feb Mon 14, 2011 4:40 pm

DynoJetta wrote:Best guess... Spencer yours probably makes more than 90HP. Looking at your dyno graph whoever was running the car didn't get on it very hard. Also, the run didn't start at a low enough speed. All my runs I started sampling around 35MPH and they start off with the foot to the floor. If you ease into the peddle, it isn't going to spin it up as fast.

Actually I ran the car on the dyno. I couldn't start any lower than that because it was lugging. I got on it at about 1800rpms in 4th gear. Didn't ease onto it either.
Roadhog
I heart LOLcats

I heart LOLcats

Vehicles:  

Postby busafied05 on Feb Mon 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Since the intake cleaning. The Tune I had did produce some smoke at WOT but would slip the clutch pretty bad (especially in this weather). I told KermaTDI and they sent me a milder tune and I don't see any smoke and the clutch doesn't slip. I need to get a boost gauge next because boost spike is a valid concern.
2003 Jetta TDI (125k)
busafied05
n00b...

n00b...

02 Tahoe
05 Suzuki GSX1300r

Postby Roadhog on Feb Mon 14, 2011 7:00 pm

busafied05 wrote:Since the intake cleaning. The Tune I had did produce some smoke at WOT but would slip the clutch pretty bad (especially in this weather). I told KermaTDI and they sent me a milder tune and I don't see any smoke and the clutch doesn't slip. I need to get a boost gauge next because boost spike is a valid concern.

You have a flasher?
Roadhog
I heart LOLcats

I heart LOLcats

Vehicles:  

Postby busafied05 on Feb Wed 16, 2011 9:03 pm

yes. it is called a qloader. it basically flashes the ecu. So when you saw me smoke Florence up lol I had a "flash" that was a little too agressive combined with a plugged intake. So I requested a milder "flash" and it works much better with my clutch. Now once I can get a vagcom I can give them the test I can perform and they will adjust a tune to fit my car even better.
2003 Jetta TDI (125k)
busafied05
n00b...

n00b...

02 Tahoe
05 Suzuki GSX1300r

PreviousNext

Return to TDI & Diesel