Finally have a running Rabbit

This forum is for all diesel and TDI owners.

Moderator: BigSkyEuro Moderators

Finally have a running Rabbit

Postby dieselbunny on Jul Tue 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi all,
After more than two years, I finally have my '81 diesel running. I dropped it off at Import Palace the other day to have John time the injection, and picked it up after work today.
A few questions, though. He told me right off the bat that the injectors are not healthy. The motor is completely rebuilt, bored .030 over, but has no power, and smokes like a chimney. Is that just the injectors? (Or the two year old fuel in it,) or should I be talking to my engine builder? It didn't appear to use any oil in the trip up to Arlee from Missoula, but I couldn't get over 40 mph on Evaro hill. I have a spare set of injectors that I plan on dropping off at Gomer's tomorrow to have them rebuild, so if it's just injectors, it's no big deal. As for the full tank of 2 year old fuel (it is full, and it was full when I bought the non running car 2 years ago, so it could be much older. Should I run it through with the bad injectors and just change the fuel filter when I put the new injectors in? Or should I drain it right away, put a new fuel filter in, and then change the injectors?
I just don't want to take a chance on messing up a new build, as I do have plans on dropping this thing off at a body shop next spring and having the outside made brand new.
Last thing, the kid before me swapped the four speed for a European coded 5 speed, but screwed up the timing when he did that, and never ran the car again. I noticed on the drive home, I have 4 gears forward. Reverse is at the far left, push down and forward and it engages, then just to the right of it is what I'm assuming is 1st, back from 1st is second, then forward to the right is what I'm assuming is 3rd. Back and to the right is 4th. Which linkage do I need to correct this so I have 5 gears, and am I correct in assuming which gears I'm in, or should 1st be behind reverse on the left, so I actually have gears 2 through 5 at the moment? Also, how tough is it to put a tach on a diesel motor, and as far as the I, II, III, and IV on the speedo, how far off does the 5 speed change that, and, last but not least, is there a governor on this motor so that I can't over rev it without a tach?
Sorry for so many questions at once, but this is now my daily driver, and I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks in advance,
Tim
dieselbunny
n00b...

n00b...

Re: Finally have a running Rabbit

Postby MT-Getto on Jul Tue 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Just got mine running too. Smokes a ton and has no power. I figured that's just how it is.
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby DynoJetta on Jul Thu 29, 2010 6:59 am

I would replace the fuel. I've seen bad fuel take out injection pumps before. I wish I was more familiar with your particular engine so I could be more help. Pretty much most of my experience is limited to the 1.9L ALH motors.

The only other thing I could suggested (after you get some new fuel in it) is to run some Power Service through it. Basically a diesel version of your injector cleaner/octane booster (in this case cetane booster). Quite of few people swear by it, and run it with every tank ever since everywhere went to the Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel.

Josh
"When you want to be a somebody; you drive a new car...When you know who you are; you drive an old car."
DynoJetta
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: '81 Rabbit Diesel LS
'03 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Postby dieselbunny on Jul Thu 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Well, it was a short career for this rabbit. Driving into work yesterday morning, I was having a heck of a time doing 55 mph on Highway 93, then boom, and a huge cloud of steam behind me. I turned the key off and pulled over right away, and sat there waiting for someone from work to find me, since there's no cell phone coverage on Evaro. Anyway, got a ride home, then had my neighbor tow the car home, turns out the left freeze plug blew out of the block. Anyone ever hear of that happening? The guy that built my motor was good, I got references before I left him do it, but the guy that did the injection timing says it only could have been faulty installation.
Anyway, I've been stranded in Arlee, I'm hoping my neighbor can take me to work in Missoula tomorrow, then a friend there should be able to take me to NAPA to get the freeze plug so I can reinstall it, then....HOPEFULLY, I'll be up and running again, but I'm not going to even start the car again until I drain the tank, and replace all 4 injectors. I did start it after I got it home, with a garden hose running water through it, just to make sure I didn't do any major damage, and it runs fine (if old fuel and bad injectors can ever be considered fine...lol)
dieselbunny
n00b...

n00b...

Postby MT-Getto on Jul Thu 29, 2010 8:05 pm

Wow! I didn't know that could happen :(
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby Mikewire on Jul Fri 30, 2010 8:38 am

I've heard of it happening with plugs that are non-OEM or not brass - they should at least be brass. Also, some mechanics just use a hammer and a big socket to pound them in, which stretches the material and deforms the plug. A seal driver should be used, with a bit of sleeve retainer around the diameter of the plug.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automo ... tainer.htm

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby Loaf on Jul Fri 30, 2010 11:53 am

Wow! That freeze plug thing sounds nasty. Hope you get it fixed soon so you can tackle the rest of the problems.
I like John. Used to live a block from his shop.
As for doing 40mph up Evaro Hill, that thing sounds like a hot rod. If it was 40 going down the hill, something is wrong. I've got an 86 1.6L in my 1989 Jetta and it barely did 40 up that hill when it was freshly rebuilt. Shit, I dont think my 1.9TDI goes much faster. We had a new injection pump put in the 86/89 about three years ago, and since then the car gets better milage, smokes waaaaaaay less, but doesn't really have more power.
Drain the fuel, clean the tank if you can, change the filter, then refill with good diesel from a place that sells a lot of it. Do that first, then deal with the injectors. Don't take any chances with dirty fuel or bio!! The fuel system tolerances are tight and it can be expensive to fix. Dirty fuel/Bio likely led to our pump failure in the 86/89 and the leaky pump in the TDI.
Both of my 5-speed manuals have reverse to the left of 1st and 5th is right of 3rd.
Good Luck
Loaf
n00b...

n00b...

Vehicles: 1998 TDI Jetta, 1988 NA Diesel Jetta

Postby dieselbunny on Jul Fri 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks Mike, I'll be putting the new freeze plug in tomorrow after my wife gets home and I can use her truck to get to Missoula, and I'll be using your advice there, just have to wonder about the other freeze plugs... As for the fuel, I have it drained, what do I do with it? It's not dirty, should I just mix a few gallons at each fillup into my wife's PowerStroke, just to get rid of it? She changes her fuel filter ever 5,000 miles religiously so even if it is a bit dirty that I can't see, she's due for a change in about 800 miles, and 9 gallons of fuel spread over 3 or 4 weeks of 40 gallons a week of good fuel shouldn't be bad, should it?
If that's a bad idea, anyone care to come to a huge bonfire in Arlee? lol. I have a bunch of trees that died when we got that freak cold snap last October, and 9 gallons of diesel should get them fired up in a hurry.
dieselbunny
n00b...

n00b...

Postby dieselbunny on Aug Mon 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Okay, I got my freeze plug put in on Sunday, and spent some time driving on new fuel with the old injectors, just around the back roads of Arlee. As I was pulling in the driveway, I noticed the alternator light flash on the dash, parked the car, opened the hood, noticed the swivel bolt on the alternator was missing completely, the swivel bolt on the A/C was without a nut, and almost all the way out. Bought a new bold for the alternator today, installed it (along with lock-tite, and lock-tighted the A/C bolts, and noticed 3 of the bolts on the crankshaft pulley were loose, one was sitting on the ground under the motor. Lock-tited and torqued those bolts, then took it for another cruise. Made it about 20 more miles, (and was about 4 miles from home, and the passenger side CV joint went out completely. Had my wife tow me home, and all she had to say is that I need to get fuzzy dice or a crucifix for this car, because it's determined not to behave...lol.) Like I told her, though, I'd rather have all this crap happen right now, than when we're comfy with the car and don't expect it. The car turns 30 next year, so I'm still not disappointed (my first car was a '71 Z-28/RS Camaro, and took me from 1985 to 1987 to restore, and cost me a whole lot more than the $2k I have invested in this project, and got 7 miles to a gallon on a good day when you were cruising around town and not using the gas pedal. And this Rabbit a BLAST to drive. Even the guy whose house I broke down in front of, with the CV joint tonight came out and talked to me, Lexus, new F-150, and new Subaru in his driveway, and made the comment that it's really cool that someone is trying to save an old Rabbit diesel.
dieselbunny
n00b...

n00b...

Postby Rennwagen1 on Aug Tue 03, 2010 8:57 am

GOD SAVE THE BUNNIES!!!
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Next

Return to TDI & Diesel