Oil Pan Gasket

This forum is for all diesel and TDI owners.

Moderator: BigSkyEuro Moderators

Oil Pan Gasket

Postby Loaf on Jun Tue 22, 2010 9:03 am

My 1988 Diesel Jetta leaks so much oil that my wife and I have renamed it the "Deepwater Horizon." I ran it at idle for about 10mins to jump start our other Jetta and there was a puddle the size of a small frisbee. Been getting worse and we've basically garaged the car until I can get it fixed. It seems to be leaking from the oil pan gasket on the far left (trans) side.
Questions:
1) If it is something like the rear main seal, would the oil come out in the same place or would it be farther to the left?
2) Is this the same gasket as the gas engines?
3) Anything wierd to know about replacing this gasket?
Loaf
n00b...

n00b...

Vehicles: 1998 TDI Jetta, 1988 NA Diesel Jetta

Re: Oil Pan Gasket

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jun Tue 22, 2010 9:07 am

Man, if this wasn't a diesel, I would have the answers, but I am not sure. How long has it been since the gasket was replaced? Theya re pretty easy to do, and it lets you have the oppotunity to clean all teh gunk out of your oilpan that the normal changes don't get. I don't think it is the same gasket as the gas motors, but I could be wrong, i bet Kompressorgolf will be able to help you on that(parts guy!)....
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Re: Oil Pan Gasket

Postby Loaf on Jul Wed 14, 2010 1:08 pm

I've been gone for three weeks. I replaced the gasket on Saturday, then re-tourqed the bolts on Sunday after the engine was warm. The leak stopped for a mysterious three minutes, but was back in full force when I drove to Missoula yesterday. Main crank seal?
Loaf
n00b...

n00b...

Vehicles: 1998 TDI Jetta, 1988 NA Diesel Jetta

Return to TDI & Diesel