Renewed to the forums

This forum is for all diesel and TDI owners.

Moderator: BigSkyEuro Moderators

Renewed to the forums

Postby arleerabbit on Mar Tue 16, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi all,
Been a few years since I've been here, I used to come on as "dieselbunny" right after I bought my pair of '81 diesels (no clue of what my password is anymore.) Since then, I've had some health issues that put them on hold, and I finally started trying to put my brand new motor in my car this weekend. One snag I've run into is that after I attach the trans (5 speed) to the motor, there is no tension on the clutch arm at all. I can pull it up with one finger, and if the motor is turned manually using the crankshaft, the transmission still turns. It's a brand new clutch, and looks identical to the old clutch setup, but it seems like the pushrod isn't even touching the release plate.
I've pulled the trans off of the motor about 10 times checking everything I can think of, to no avail. Am I missing something stupid?
I really want to get this motor in and running this weekend, but I don't want to put it in and find that I have to pull it out due to clutch problems, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim
arleerabbit
n00b...

n00b...

Vehicles: '81 Rabbit diesel sunroof coupe

Re: Renewed to the forums

Postby Darkside on Mar Tue 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Forgot to put the release plate/retainer in? Clutch disc in backwards? pivot finger at throw out bearing in trans bad? A few ideas...good luck.
MKIII VR6 MKII 8v
Darkside
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 97' Jetta VR6
85' Golf 8v

Postby arleerabbit on Mar Tue 16, 2010 9:56 pm

Checked all of them several times while removing/reinstalling the trans., no such luck. Even tried another trans, no good. Was half tempted to put the old clutch back in, but compared it, and the release plate, and they're almost identicle, just the old one is worn.
Thanks, though
arleerabbit
n00b...

n00b...

Postby kompressorgolf on Mar Wed 17, 2010 9:21 am

Its a piece of the tranny, if you pop off the green/round cover on the end of the driverside of the trans, there inside is a finger that actuates the throwout bearing, those crack and ratched back a couple teeth, and it wont actuate the clutch, this is an easy fix, and can be done, trans in car. im 99% thats your issue. good luck!
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby arleerabbit on Mar Wed 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Its a piece of the tranny, if you pop off the green/round cover on the end of the driverside of the trans, there inside is a finger that actuates the throwout bearing, those crack and ratched back a couple teeth, and it wont actuate the clutch, this is an easy fix, and can be done, trans in car. im 99% thats your issue. good luck

Nope, took that off already, the finger is fine, and I put the new throwout bearing in. I tried it again with the old throwout bearing, no change. How far should the rod stick out of the tranny shaft when fully extended? On both of my trannys, it sticks out almost exactly 1". Thanks again.
arleerabbit
n00b...

n00b...

Postby MT-Getto on Mar Wed 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Pop a hole in the release plate? Is the rod in the input shaft?
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby arleerabbit on Mar Wed 17, 2010 6:26 pm

Pop a hole in the release plate? Is the rod in the input shaft?

Just had it apart again, no hole in the release plate, and the rod moves in and out with the arm, and has plenty of force behind it.
arleerabbit
n00b...

n00b...

Postby arleerabbit on Mar Wed 17, 2010 6:29 pm

One other concern, when putting the flywheel on, the last quarter inch or so on the bolts, it doesn't go very easily. Is that normal? It's not really difficult, just can't turn them in by hand. I've been torquing them a bit at a time in a star pattern to keep everything even.
arleerabbit
n00b...

n00b...

Postby MT-Getto on Mar Wed 17, 2010 7:32 pm

Wrong clutch assy or rod?
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby arleerabbit on Mar Wed 17, 2010 8:05 pm

MT-Getto wrote:Wrong clutch assy or rod?

Unfortunately, that's the only conclusion I can come to also. The shop that rebuilt my motor got the clutch for me along with all the motor parts, so I didn't order it myself. I seem to recall finding an online VW parts place that gives free tech advice, anyone know which one that is so I can tell them my dilemma and make sure I get the right one? The only part of the old clutch assy. that I can't find is the pressure plate, and since the disc is exactly like my old one, and the plate is exactly like my old one, it would have to be the pressure plate. On the bright side, (with the engine out of the car,) I've got it down to about 10 minutes to remove the trans, remove the flywheel, and dissassemble the clutch, reassemble the clutch and put the trans back on the motor. Next time I need a clutch, I think I'm set...lol. Thanks again!
arleerabbit
n00b...

n00b...

Next

Return to TDI & Diesel