What glow plugs do you use?

This forum is for all diesel and TDI owners.

Moderator: BigSkyEuro Moderators

Re: What glow plugs do you use?

Postby 73veedubya on Dec Sun 27, 2009 7:09 pm

well if i could get sombody to buy my passat i would be a tdi owner!

1973 VW SuperBeetle
2004 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd

Thats not oil my Beetle's leaking its sweat from all the horse power
73veedubya
In the passengers seat...

In the passengers seat...

Vehicles: Mk4 Jetta GLS TDI
73 Superbeetle

Postby busafied05 on Jan Tue 05, 2010 11:53 pm

If you can get one you won't regret it. The first mod I would recommend would be to put a panzer plate on then swap 5th gear. The plate has save my oil pan more times than I can count. The 5th gear mod really makes a difference if you do alot of highway driving. I degress....My CEL came on the other day and I'm pretty sure its a glow plug or the harness. :\ I tested the plugs and they all read 1.9 Ohms which seems a little high but constant. Next test will be the harness.
2003 Jetta TDI (125k)
Mods: .658 5th gear swap, Bosio .216 DLC injectors, Qloader from KermaTDI, Valeo SMF clutch Kit
busafied05
n00b...

n00b...

Vehicles: 03 Jetta TDI
02 Tahoe
05 Suzuki GSX1300r

Postby DynoJetta on Jan Thu 07, 2010 4:05 pm

How do you typically test your glow plug harness?
I know I could probably search on TDI club, but I figured I'd see how you do it.
"When you want to be a somebody; you drive a new car...When you know who you are; you drive an old car."
DynoJetta
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: '81 Rabbit Diesel LS
'03 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Postby busafied05 on Jan Thu 07, 2010 4:23 pm

I use the volt meter. Take off the harness and put the red end of the volt meter in the harness and have some body turn the key so the plug light comes on and it should read 12 volts or close. Its easier to have somebody turn the key because once the gp light goes off it won't read 12 volts and if your in a warm garage it stays on for even less time making it harder to run from the drivers seat to under the hood. It sound like these are more problematic than the gp themselves. TDI does have a lot info and that can be the problem: sifting through everything so I don't blame ya. I just happen to have this link in my favorites :D [url]http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=749854 . When I replaced my harnes it was actually not that hard. The hardest part was undoing all the tape and pulling the battery and airbox, if you don't care about following factory I'm sure you could do it with out removing that stuff.
2003 Jetta TDI (125k)
Mods: .658 5th gear swap, Bosio .216 DLC injectors, Qloader from KermaTDI, Valeo SMF clutch Kit
busafied05
n00b...

n00b...

02 Tahoe
05 Suzuki GSX1300r

Postby busafied05 on Jan Thu 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Just looking at your sig. looks like you made some cool mods to your jetta . Do you know the hp and torque rating on it? Did you do all those yourself or have a mechanic do it? I really would like to put the frost heater in. I also found a kit that put the hp up to 150 and a rediculous amount of torque :screwy: but comes at a hefty price tag (2k).
2003 Jetta TDI (125k)
busafied05
n00b...

n00b...

02 Tahoe
05 Suzuki GSX1300r

Postby DynoJetta on Jan Thu 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Yes, I have done all the mods myself. With the Campbell Black Box I'm running 118rwp and 213 ftlbs of torque (SAE Corrected). Here's a write-up I did on testing the Black Box: Dyno Results

I was able to find a local Tractor Supply store that sells the heating unit, so I did a DIY on the frostheater and saved some money on it. I HIGHLY recommend it living here in MT.

You should let me know what you're looking at for 2K. sounds kinda pricey for only 150HP.

I definitely want to get a skid plate for it. I was going to get that instead of my Racepipe and EGR cooler delete, but I really wanted to get a boost controller on my car. I didn't want to tap the IC pipe, so I got the Racepipe so I could use the port that comes pre-tapped (plus the other benefits that come with the setup). But the skid plate is next on my list of purchases, if I ever save up enough pennies to get it.

I try to do everything myself, 1 to learn, and 2 to save money. The only thing I haven't done with my car is replacing the burnt out seat heaters.
"When you want to be a somebody; you drive a new car...When you know who you are; you drive an old car."
DynoJetta
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: '81 Rabbit Diesel LS
'03 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jan Thu 07, 2010 10:50 pm

DynoJetta wrote: The only thing I haven't done with my car is replacing the burnt out seat heaters.

Unless you took those in for warranty work, you could have done those also. I do heated seats all the time. Easy, but time consuming.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby busafied05 on Jan Fri 08, 2010 12:52 am

Nice! I try to do as much as I can myself pretty much for the same reasons you do but there are somethings I am just too afraid I might screw up (timing belt being the main one). I am proud to say I did do my first complete stereo with amplifier and speaker install and it went pretty smooth and I learned that VW dashes are not as bad to work on as others. Hardest part was running the amp wire from the cab to battery but used a close hanger and followed the hood rease cable.

I have the panzer plate and I cant tell you how many times that has saved my oil pan (I'll take a pic of it next time I change the oil, its pretty beat up). Granted it is a pretty heavy chuck of steel.

The frostheater is my next purchase; -4 tonight, even in a semi insulated garage I am sure it would help.

Here is the site for the kit http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-437/150hp-kit--fdsh--package/Detail?category=-Performance+Parts%3AA4+Golf%2FJetta%2FBeetle+%28%2799.5-%2706%29%3APerformance+Packages. I thought it sounded high too but you get everything from a new turbo to gaskets. I have never heard of that tuning box that your running. Might have to look into it. Nice looking car, 03s are supposed to be the best tdi years out there :thumbsup:
2003 Jetta TDI (125k)
busafied05
n00b...

n00b...

02 Tahoe
05 Suzuki GSX1300r

Postby vrtpassat on Jan Fri 08, 2010 2:32 am

if you would like your timing belt doun i can do tdi belts and i will do yours for some cash :thumbsup:
i can't spell but if you stare at it long enuff it looks like a hiden vr6
vrtpassat
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 93 passat glx twin gt30's in the works

Postby busafied05 on Jan Fri 08, 2010 9:15 am

Thanks VR, but I actually just had mine done about 8k ago so shouldn't need to for another 95k. Just curious...you obviously know a thing or two about vw, but when there is something you just can't fix (lack of tools or what ever) who have you gone to in msla to look at your car? I ask because there isn't much to choose from (excluding Aeron). I think I have found a place that doesn't charge too much and so far does good work (TB and SMF clutch conversion).
2003 Jetta TDI (125k)
busafied05
n00b...

n00b...

02 Tahoe
05 Suzuki GSX1300r

PreviousNext

Return to TDI & Diesel