Moderators: YASHA7FOLD, BigSkyEuro Moderators

Mikewire
Site Admin
Site Admin
Vehicles: Air and Water

2017 VW GTI w/ PP LP and extras

Post by Mikewire » Nov Wed 06, 2019 4:45 pm

Hey all - updates from TX!

I bought my GLI last December, and I loved it, but I always had an affinity for the GTI or R...something about having the hot hatch just kept hitting my brain, and I kept telling myself I needed to find a way to get one. I got the car itch a few months ago, and started to look around; I test drove a few cars and did some thinking on what I wanted vs. what I needed.

Drove a 2019 R and loved it, but the price was way too much for what I wanted. Looked at new GTI's, a couple of R's and GTI's that were driven hard and put away wet...no thanks. Decided to keep my eyes open for a stock GTI so I could compare the drive experience to the GLI, and after a few months of watching the lots I found one at one I was interested in looking at. One of the local dealerships had a used GTI in my price range, and it had the features I was specifically looking for: Fender sound, DSG, leather, low mileage (28k), ...looked like an Autobahn, but turned out to be an SE w/ Performance Pack and the Lighting Package :thumbsup: .

Initially, I looked at it and saw it was lowered, which made me a little hesitant to look further at it, but it was really clean, didn't smell like smoke or vape juice, so I ended up taking it out on the highway with the sales guy in the passengers seat. After a short, spirited drive I could tell this was not the same performance level than my GLI, (I expected it to be close) and seemed a bit quicker off the line and accelerated much faster at highway speeds. My salesman mentioned on the drive that he thought it may have a tune, but couldn't confirm it at the time, but would reach out to the PO who he know to be a VW enthusiast...who had traded this 2017 GTI in on a new 2019 GTI. Ok...please continue :laughing:

I wanted to get a closer look at the car, not at the dealership...so out on the drive I pulled into a parking lot and did a walk around. I immediately spotted a couple of CTS turbo bits, (stock IHI IS20 turbo) and also confirmed the suspension was not stock when I spotted VWR springs with Bilstein struts and shocks. With the performance and the mods, I was 99% sure it had a tune and knew I could deal with that lol.

A couple of items I needed to shore up...it only had one key, the shift knob and boot were in need of replaced, plus the shifter trim and the lower trim on the passengers side was missing (probably due to a low parking block). All those things I could repair and replace, as long as the dealership would wheel and deal.

Long story short, I ended up getting a good deal on it using my GLI as a trade, got what I needed for the parts replacement, and I drove it home that evening happy that I had a few upgrades...but suspected there were more I would find later. Later on I did a full inspection...and needless to say, if you take a look at the list below, I think i picked up a score.

The next day I called APR and confirmed the tune, both ECU and TCU.

Upgrades found after I bought it:
  • APR Stage 2 ECU (v1.2)
  • APR DQ250 TCU tune
  • APR IC100019 Intercooler System (+21hp)
  • Milltek Large-bore downpipe and 200-CPSI hi-flow sports catalyst
  • Milltek downpipe-to-OE cat connecting pipe
  • CTS Turbo 1.8T/2.0T MQB Gen3 turbo inlet pipe
  • GFB T9351 DV+ Blow off Valve or BOV/ diverter valve
  • CTS Turbo Muffler delete
  • 034 Billet dogbone mount insert
  • VW Racingline VWRPA019 sport springs
  • Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Shocks & Struts Set
  • K&N drop in air filter
Upgrades I have done so far:
  • APR Stage 2 ECU upgrade v1.2 -> 2.0.2
  • APR warranty owner transfer (to me)
  • New key fob w/ programming
  • Passengers side adaptive headlight (replaced under warranty)
  • Passenger Lower Front Valance for MK7 GTI
  • Shift Knob 6 Speed (DSG) for MK7 GTI (Black with Red Stitching)
  • ECS Tuning billet oil filter canister
  • Aerofabb V2 front splitter
  • Aerofabb rear diffuser
  • Power folding mirror kit
  • Various VCDS tweaks
  • VW OEM Front and Rear mud flaps

2017 VW GLI
2018 VW Atlas R-Line SE w/ Tech 4-Motion
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules

YASHA7FOLD
Euro Addict!!!
Euro Addict!!!
Vehicles: 58 Buggy,65 Baja,69 Beetle, 72 Westy

Re: 2017 VW GTI w/ PP LP and extras

Post by YASHA7FOLD » Nov Wed 06, 2019 10:06 pm

Super sweet. Nice score and it’s even the correct color for your fleet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
.R13 5 (o\!/o)
..╚╬╬╝
... 24

MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!
Euro Addict!!!
Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, RAM

Re: 2017 VW GTI w/ PP LP and extras

Post by MT-Getto » Nov Thu 14, 2019 11:24 am

Nice!!! Me likey Mikey!!
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.