DIY: Audi B6 A4 Air Bag Light and TSB fix

DIY and tech writeups

Moderator: BigSkyEuro Moderators

DIY: Audi B6 A4 Air Bag Light and TSB fix

Postby Mikewire on Jan Thu 31, 2013 1:13 am

This little problem plagues many VAG cars out there - there is a TSB out there, and this is my blend of the fix in the TSB for an Audi B6 (2002-2004.5) A4. Symptoms are - air bag light on the cluster (random), and this code (or similar) in your VCDS when reading the air bag module for codes:

Code: Select all
1 Fault Found:
01218 - Side Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N200)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON

The short explanation of the fix is to remove a yellow colored wiring connector in the airbag circuit of the drivers seat, which sits directly under the seat itself, and replace that connector by splicing in similar gauge wires. Here's how I fixed mine, a DIY of sorts.

Disclaimer: Do this work at your own risk, I am not responsible for any damage that happens to your car.

Tools needed:
M50 driver bit
Socket wrench
Flathead screwdriver
Side cutters
Electrical wire stripper/cutter
Solder gun and solder/flux
6 inches of 20 gauge wire
Appropriate sized heat shrink material
Electrical tape
Zip ties

Disconnect your battery after unbolting the seat.

Driver's seat needs to be tilted back - there are 4 M50 bolts holding it down, remove them. Note that the seat will need to be moved forward and backward to access the seat rail bolts:

Audi likes to put these little trim parts over the seat rails. The need to come off to access the M50 bolts. Remove the small plastic retaining pin with a small flat screwdriver, then the covers will come off.

On the two rear seat rail covers, there are also small T25 screws that need to be removed:

This is also the PERFECT time to vacuum up all the crap that you normally can't get to, and get to that black hole area between the drivers seat and the center console:

Now it's time to disconnect your battery!!

Lift the plastic floor cover and carefully disconnect the plugs from the harness, then the seat can be tilted all the way back:

Here's where I forgot to take pictures. Basically find the little yellow plug, cut the blue and black wires on each side, and remove the connector. Don't cut any other wires!

Cut about 3 inches of your splice wire, and prep it to be soldered - I prefer to flux and tin each wire before making the final solder connection. Also make sure to have your heat shrink cut and ready.

Break out your soldering skills and solder those wires into the area where the connector was. The B6 Audi A4 only has two wires, yours may vary, but be sure to match the colors up like so:

blue --- blue
black --- black

Melt the heat shrink around your solder joints, and then use some electrical tape to secure them snugly together:

Take up any slack in the extra wire and zip tie everything back so it's nice and secure:

Install of the seat is the reverse of removal, do that, and be sure to reconnect your battery. Then you'll need to open VCDS, open your airbag module and clear the code that is still hanging around. And then you are fixed!

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Re: DIY: Audi B6 A4 Air Bag Light and TSB fix

Postby YASHA7FOLD on Jan Thu 31, 2013 6:13 pm

Ya this also irritates me. My Jetta and my sisters Bug has the same issue. Great DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.R13 5 (o\!/o)
..╚╬╬╝
... 24
YASHA7FOLD
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 58 Buggy,65 Baja,69 Beetle, 72 Westy

Re: DIY: Audi B6 A4 Air Bag Light and TSB fix

Postby choptopvolksrod on Jan Thu 31, 2013 10:16 pm

there is also a vw campaign for the exact same problem. I have lots of genuine vw repair kits if anybody needs it. good job on ur own repair mike!
choptopvolksrod
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: 71super, chopped75, 56oval, 67drag bug

Return to Big Sky Euro - DIY Articles