DIY: MKIV Jetta turn/cruise stalk replacement

DIY and tech writeups

Moderator: BigSkyEuro Moderators

DIY: MKIV Jetta turn/cruise stalk replacement

Postby Mikewire on Jun Wed 15, 2011 2:37 am

Here's a DIY on how to replace the turn/cruise stalk on an MKIV. Symptoms were that the cruise control didn't function, and when scanned with VCDS I was getting code 17977/P1569:

17977/P1569/005481 - Cruise Control Switch (E45): Implausible Signal
Possible Causes

* Wiring defective.
* Cruise Control Switch (E45) Faulty.

I was aware that the switch in earlier Jetta's were known to fail, so it was time to order a new switch.

Hardware:
  1. New turn/cruise stalk #1J095351301C
  2. #0 Phillps screwdriver
  3. 12mm triple square (12 point) bit (1/2 socket preferred)
  4. T25 Torx screwdriver
  5. One small flathead screwdriver
  6. 4mm allen key (ball joint preferred)
  7. 10mm socket and wrench

DISCLAIMER: This DIY is for a MKIV Jetta VR6, and may be similar to other makes/models. This information only a guide and if you screw up do not blame me – I will not be held responsible for any mistake you do while you work on your car.

First, disconnect your negative ground cable from the battery and move it to an area where it will not contact the battery terminal. We will be removing the wheel and airbag, so always make sure to remove power and avoid any static or electrical discharge when working with the airbag:

Now, turn your key to the ON position, and with your wheels straight, and turn your steering wheel 90 degrees counter-clockwise:

On the back of the wheel there is a small hole where you need to insert a screwdriver, catch the spring holding the airbag, and push that spring towards the center. It's not tough, but it takes some time and practice. If you need more instructions, please reference the Bentley repair manual or do a Google search.

When done with that side, turn the wheel 180 degrees the opposite direction and repeat the process on the other side.

When you get both sides, the airbag will come out of the wheel. You will see three connectors - #1 can be carefully removed from the terminal it in plugged in to, #2 is a small connector that can also be removed by squeezing the tabs together and pulling out, and #3 is a connector that I consider optional to remove. I have removed it in the past, but it is hard to remove with the wheel on, so I usually leave it on and carefully work around removing the wheel with it connected and the airbag sitting off to the side, being careful not to put any strain on the #3 connector:

Use your 12mm triple square...

Insert the bit and while holding the wheel (or using the ignition lock), turn the socket counter clock-wise and remove the bolt:

Take this time to mark your wheel alignment with a sharpie or other marker or tool:

Set the wheel and bag aside, and you should now see the clock spring and the upper and lower steering column covers:

First remove the upper column by using your #0 Phillips screwdriver to remove the two screws at the arrows and flip the upper cover up out of the way:

Remove the two screws on the front of the lower column cover:

Also remove the T25 screw on the bottom of the lower column cover:

Carefully open the column release lever, and now the lower cover can be moved out of the way:

Remove the clock spring by using your flat head screwdriver to lift up and release the tabs where the arrows are:

Then release the connector (circled) and the last tab on the bottom of the clock spring and the part will pull off of the column:

With the clock spring off, now we can begin to remove the turn/cruise and wiper stalk assembly. Use a 4mm allen to loosen (not remove) the bolt on the column clamp:

Now begin to remove the four (4) connectors on the back of the assembly. Simply pull (in the direction of the arrows) these connectors out, starting with the turn/cruise side:

This connector has a tab that needs to be depressed - it is hidden on the rear of the connector - I used my small flathead screwdriver to depress it, then pull up:

Simply pull out on this connector:

Use your flathead to gently push and release the tab on each end of the connector, and now the entire assembly should slide off of the column:

Separate the two halves by depressing the tab in the middle (circled) and move the two halves in opposite directions:

Swap the new turn/cruise stalk into the assembly, and reassemble everything in reverse.

Install and align the wheel and torque the center bolt to 50 Nm (37 ft-lb). Mark it with a punch or a dot to indicate that it has been removed and re-torqued - there is a max life of 5 times that the bolt can be torqued to spec, and then it needs to be replaced.

Reconnect your airbag connectors, and reinstall the airbag being especially careful not to pinch any wires.

Reconnect the negative terminal on your battery, and test your lights, turn signals, horn and wipers. Go for a test drive and enjoy using your now-functional cruise control!

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Re: DIY: MKIV Jetta turn/cruise stalk replacement

Postby sneakyboy1 on Jun Wed 15, 2011 10:09 am

Great write up Mike!
Just a heads up to anyone who is going to try this.....

I had problems with mine as well in my MKIV Golf and I was able to remove mine, then disassemble the actual stalk and cleaned it out and re-greased it. Put it back in and worked great.
The problem is that there starts to be a buildup of micro metal shavings which over time build up enough to carry a current and begin to short things out. I had other symptoms as well as it causing my hazard switch to click like crazy yet there wasn't enough current running through it to actually trip the relay into flashing the lights. Annoyed me for over a year and finally fixed it prior to selling my car.

Might be worth trying to clean out the old one before buying a new one! :thumbsup:
"Confucious Say: Man who have dubs in driveway walk out of house in morning with smile, but then move around two dubs to leave." JD3
sneakyboy1
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 03 B6 A4 3.0 6MT
63 VW Bug
83 GTI
83 CJ7

Postby Mikewire on Jun Wed 15, 2011 10:52 am

Hey that's good info, I may try that with the old one instead tossing it. The letters were almost worn off on mine, and the PO didn't take really good care of the car in general, so I figured I would treat it to a new part <:D

Plus it was an excuse to add more things on my order from ECS...:ninja:

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby YASHA7FOLD on Jun Wed 15, 2011 4:45 pm

NIce write up Mike. :thumbsup:
.R13 5 (o\!/o)
..╚╬╬╝
... 24
YASHA7FOLD
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 58 Buggy,65 Baja,69 Beetle, 72 Westy

Postby Roadhog on Jun Wed 15, 2011 7:22 pm

neat. :D
Roadhog
I heart LOLcats

I heart LOLcats

Vehicles:  

Postby Darkside on Jun Wed 15, 2011 9:50 pm

well done :thumbsup:
MKIII VR6 MKII 8v
Darkside
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 97' Jetta VR6
85' Golf 8v

Postby Jd3 on Jun Thu 16, 2011 9:08 am

ill add to another thing on the list of symptoms of a faulty stalk..... windshield wiper fluid will not squirt. great write up mikesquire :beer: :heart: :thumbsup:
It should speak for itself
Jd3
Silky Johnson

Silky Johnson

Vehicles: emgay4 sixbangr
88 16v prjct bloodysteak

Postby Mikewire on Jun Thu 16, 2011 11:14 am

Thanks guys, hope it helps someone out there. The whoretex has a DIY but it's terrible.

Sorry to hear about your faulty stalk there Jurgy :snicker:

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby Jd3 on Jun Thu 16, 2011 11:38 am

MikeWire wrote: Sorry to hear about your faulty stalk there Jurgy :snicker:

Mines takin care of, but if this wonderful DIY would of been here bout two years ago.... could of saved me some cheddar ...... i find you personally responsible and you owe me a hug :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
It should speak for itself
Jd3
Silky Johnson

Silky Johnson

Vehicles: emgay4 sixbangr
88 16v prjct bloodysteak

Postby 73veedubya on Jun Fri 17, 2011 6:51 pm

yeah this deffenlty would of been nice when my key ring strap grabbed my turn signal stock and broke it off lol!

1973 VW SuperBeetle
2004 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd

Thats not oil my Beetle's leaking its sweat from all the horse power
73veedubya
In the passengers seat...

In the passengers seat...

Vehicles: Mk4 Jetta GLS TDI
73 Superbeetle

Next

Return to Big Sky Euro - DIY Articles