DIY: B6 A4 Avant rear washer nozzle clean & adjust

DIY and tech writeups

Moderator: BigSkyEuro Moderators

DIY: B6 A4 Avant rear washer nozzle clean & adjust

Postby Mikewire on Dec Wed 23, 2009 1:39 am

I had a problem with my rear washer nozzles not spraying the correct pattern, so I went to adjust the sprayer jet with a small needle, and it broke off in the nozzle :laughing:

So I needed to remove and clean out the rear washer nozzle - here's how I did it:

Remove the rear washer cover by pulling outward on each side - this releases tabs on the left and right, and then you can pull the cover off:

Then you can get to the nozzle. This can be removed by using a small flat blade screwdriver - put it right where arrow is and very gently and carefully pry on the nozzle, slowly working it off of the base of the wiper:

You will then have the washer nozzle base exposed and the nozzle and jets can then be cleaned:

There are two washer jets on the A4 Avant. They are a simple ball jet that can be adjusted by rotating it in the nozzle housing using a small needle. I found that the ball jets had seized in the nozzle housing and wouldn't move. So, after removing the part of the needle I had broken off trying to adjust it earlier, I soaked the entire nozzle in some RP Max Film.

This stuff kicks ass - better than any Teflon based lubricant I have ever used! It's about $8 for a small spray can, but little goes a long way.

Then using a pair of locking pliers and another needle, I worked the ball jets until they moved freely in then housing, and then blew it out with my air gun:

After it was clean and the ball jets were both moving freely, I put it all back together again, and then was able to adjust the nozzle spray pattern to spray the rear glass.

Then the rest of the car got a wash:

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Re: DIY: B6 A4 Avant rear washer nozzle clean & adjust

Postby Dubber on Dec Fri 25, 2009 6:00 pm

Nice work, my rear window sprayer has been broken for a while, i need to get out and fix it, my back window is super dirty now =(
"We are shaped by our thoughts; We become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves." - Buddha

If you are not happy now, you never will be.
Dubber
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 2009 Skoda Octavia Ambiente II

Return to Big Sky Euro - DIY Articles