DIY: Audi A4 FMIC install

DIY and tech writeups

Moderator: BigSkyEuro Moderators

DIY: Audi A4 FMIC install

Postby Mikewire on Aug Wed 26, 2009 4:56 pm

I picked up a FMIC pretty cheap and threw in on the other night, so I thought I would do a little DIY/writeup.

Tools needed:
Metric socket set w/ various extensions
10mm deep socket
Metric allen wrench w/ ball end
T25 and T45 Torx bits
Cordless drill
2x Hex screws for the boost sensor
2x Nylon lock nuts and bolts to secure the core tabs to the supplied mounting hardware
about 6 hours of time

Here's the kit:

It comes with all the pipes and silicone connectors, wide clamps and the core. I planned on deleting the "cowbell" boost reservoir (explained later) so I picked up a few extra clamps and a 90 degree ABS plastic elbow which are shown below.

Pop the hood.

Remove the belly pan

Remove the snorkel and fog grilles

Here's the collection of parts so far:

Remove the headlights

Remove the 8mm bolt from under the bumper cover, which connects the bumper rebar to the bumper supports. Make sure all the various other bolts are removed from the the fender wells and the bumper should pull forward with some force.

Don't pull too hard because there are the headlight washer lines, homelink harness, fog light harness and in my case I also had fog ballast connectors to disonnect. Pull the washer fluid line off and plug the end of the washer line so you don't lose all your fluid.

You should have a clear shot to your SMIC now

In order to get it out, it's required to pull the radiator core support forward a few inches. So remove the two bolts from the top of the core support/fender, and remove the driver side headlight plate by removing the three screws holding it in place

Two screws on the headlight plate

One screw holding the headlight plate to the fender

Use a T45 bit to unscrew the bumper support bolts about halfway - this will them allow you to pull the core support forward

Pull the core forward towards the front of the car

Now remove all the cold side hoses - the IC upper hose from the throttle body and make sure to remove the short 90 degree IC hose from the bottom of the SMIC. It's a little harder to remove, but just get western with it and it will come off.

Now pull forward on the top of the SMIC, and drop it down towards the ground and remove it

Now you should have an open space where the SMIC once sat

Remove the boost sensor and set it aside

Here's the collection of parts so far

Remove the air dams from around the radiator. There are three: one on the bottom and two on the side - remove the screws and set them aside

Time to move the power steering cooler - it needs to be rotated upward so the FMIC can sit flush.

I ended up having to trim out the part between the lines in the pic below with my dremel. This allowed me to swing the cooler up and out of the way

I secured the cooler with a couple of zip ties and screws the retainer bolt back down, and that cooler isn't going anywhere

Now I could work on removing the hot side IC hoses. Loosen the clamps on the turbo housing and the clamp on the other end, which secures the hose to the stock charge pipe

I chose to remove the "cowbell" boost reservior, so remove the 3 6mm bolts and remove the hose and clamp on the bottom of the DV and pull the entire assembly out

Now we should be done removing parts and can get on to installing the FMIC

Time to install the boost sensor into the upper cold side pipe. I made a gasket from paper gasket material and then used a small amount of silicone sealant between the gasket and the bung

Carefully insert the sensor into the pipe - watch out so that the o-ring on the sensor does not get torn on the sharp edge of the bung. Use the two screws to secure the sensor

Mock up the boost tubes using the silicone hoses and clamps. Be sure to position the clamps so that they don't interfere with any other hoses or wires, and rotate them so it's easy to clamp them snug. I used my cordless drill with some attachments to secure the clamps. I used the torque setting on the drill so that I didn't over-tighten the clamps - but I made sure to get them nice and tight so I don't have any leaks.

On the hot side of the pipes, use the 90 degree fitting on the hose coming out of the upper pipe and attach it to the bottom of the DV, and secure all clamps.

After the pipes are mocked up, install the core following the same guidelines and making sure the pipes don't come into contact with anything.

Make sure to hook up the boost sensor connector, and double check all your clamps and hoses, and you should be able to start the car and listen for leaks (if you have any). Be aware that you may need to clear codes for anything that's not hooked up - i.e. headlights or fog lights etc.

After everything checks out, the bumper can be reinstalled and everything else reconnected in reverse of how you removed it.

I didn't need to trim anything on the bumper, but I did need to trim a tab and the back of the fins on the fog light grills.

Here's the finished product:

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Re: FMIC installed

Postby Darkside on Aug Wed 26, 2009 5:20 pm

I love the last pic :thumbsup:
Nice work
MKIII VR6 MKII 8v
Darkside
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 97' Jetta VR6
85' Golf 8v

Postby vrtpassat on Aug Wed 26, 2009 7:01 pm

looks good :thumbsup:
i can't spell but if you stare at it long enuff it looks like a hiden vr6
vrtpassat
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 93 passat glx twin gt30's in the works

Postby sneakyboy1 on Aug Wed 26, 2009 7:46 pm

Even though it's lacking the words at the moment looks like a great write up with great pix!
And I love that last pic too!!! :thumbsup:
"Confucious Say: Man who have dubs in driveway walk out of house in morning with smile, but then move around two dubs to leave." JD3
sneakyboy1
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 03 B6 A4 3.0 6MT
63 VW Bug
83 GTI
83 CJ7

Postby ValveFloat on Aug Wed 26, 2009 9:24 pm

That's really cool, but...
I wanna see the DYI for installing those leaf springs in the first pic onto the back of the A4. :D

Have you driven it yet? I'd be curious to know if you notice any difference in boost response.
ValveFloat

Vehicles: 1991 911
2003 Ducati M620

Postby Mikewire on Aug Wed 26, 2009 11:30 pm

Added text - thanks for the replies guys.

:laughing: Joe, I'm in the process of designing and fabbing the subframe for those leafs... :mrgreen:

And yes, I have driven it quite a bit and logged intake temps. I'd say the lag is a little more noticeable, but the boost comes on stronger and smoother. Intake temps are now dropping by about 40 degrees F, which fixed most of the pinging issues I was having. Here's a link to the logs if anyone is interested:

http://bigskyeuro.com/images/gallery/mikewire/a4/logs/LOG-01-006-011-115.CSV

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Re: DIY: Audi A4 FMIC install

Postby kompressorgolf on Aug Thu 27, 2009 8:59 am

Wow! Great write up mike, i will be doing this very soon myself. i thought that i was having tuning difficulties, but i was right, and missed a small vacuum leak. :banghead: great pics and instructions. looks like a damn nice kit, great fitment!
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby JayRyan on Sep Thu 03, 2009 5:23 pm

:thumbsup: My pipes come into contact with something and it's obnoxious as hell. Pay attention to that part ;)

And Mike, I really do think your core's larger than mine. That's fine as I feel my lower anyway. Any larger would do me no good :P
'14 F-150 Ecoboost | Full Roush Tuning
'07 4Runner | IVD/Donahoe Racing/Camburg | TRD | Bajarack | PIAA
'68 MG C - For Sale: $6K

Former Dubs:
'03 A4 1.8TQM Modifcations
'04 Jetta VR6M GLI - Silvery
'99 Passat 1.8TM - Emerald Green
'88 Fox GL 1.8M - Brown...gold?
JayRyan
Spoolin!

Spoolin!

Vehicles: 2003 A4 1.8TQM, 2007 Toyota 4R, 1968 MGC

Postby Rennwagen1 on Sep Thu 03, 2009 7:00 pm

Wow Mike! Great Writeup! I bet it would have taken about half the time, had you not taken pics of every screw, hehehe! Anyway, looking at this compared to the Mk4 GTI/Jetta FMIC installs I have done, I never want to do an A4 ever. Nice Job!
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby Mikewire on Sep Tue 15, 2009 10:48 am

If anyone is interested, I understand a group buy is coming up on this kit on VWvortex.com. :thumbsup: to the seller of the kit, he has great communication and answers all my emails!

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Next