Beetle Dead in the Water

Discussion area for all Classic aircooled models.

Moderator: Mikewire

Beetle Dead in the Water

Postby bigmontana on Oct Mon 20, 2014 12:13 pm

So three weeks ago I drove the Beetle to work. It always starts really hard and turns over but does not want even after Wade put the new Carb in to start. Anyways I got it started and drove home. got home and the FJ was in front of the garage so I turned the beetle off to move the FJ and went to start the beetle to put it away for the nigh and it wouldn't do anything completely dead. I even checked the terminals and they were tight so I pushed it into the garage. I will jump the car tonight but I'm just curious what it would be. Why it is hard starting and why it wouldn't start. I'd love to drive it around town before its winter slumber but I'm worried it will leave me stranded somewhere. What do you guys think it could be. Mike do you think you or Wade could check it out sometime.
1963 Beetle
2001 Passat 4moWagon (Sold)
2000 Mercedes E320 Wagon
bigmontana
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 1963 Beetle 2000 Mercedes E320 Wagon

Re: Beetle Dead in the Water

Postby Mikewire on Oct Mon 20, 2014 1:12 pm

If it's a no crank, no start, I'd say it's probably the battery. Get power on the battery and turn it over. Do you have any lights?

You have a brand new starter, so it shouldn't be that, but I wouldn't rule it out.

You need to get a new carb on it, that's why it's hard starting. Wade rebuilt it for you, but it's pretty much just plain worn out - bushings etc. so the only thing you can do is replace it.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby bigmontana on Oct Mon 20, 2014 1:34 pm

The carbs brand new I just bought it and wade helped put it in. I don't have any lights, I lost horn, signals, headlights, and the little interior light is out. its a new battery and it worked fine it was even disconnected last winter. im going to try to jump it tonight but I was wondering why it is so hard starting and the lack of everything working is a whole other matter I'd love to pay you or wade to fix. I would love to help you guys fix it and get it so I can drive it.
1963 Beetle
2000 Mercedes E320 Wagon
bigmontana
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Postby Mikewire on Oct Mon 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Ok, gotcha I guess I didn't realize you bought one...I think I remember something about it now that you mention it.

I can't e-diagnose it but I'd start with battery. Then I'd check the choke and make sure it's set properly. Wade does good work so I bet he set that - are you using the choke when it's cold?

Remember we had to convert to 12V with the motor swap so those 6V bulbs had to be replaced with 12V bulbs. I swapped most of them out for you, so if they are burnt out already, then the charging system needs to be looked at.

Did I read that you are thinking of selling it?

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby bigmontana on Oct Mon 20, 2014 2:50 pm

I don't know how to do any of that mike. I'm sorry but I don't trust myself to fix it. I'd like to help someone. It's starts great when it's cold it doesn't when it is warm. I think it is a headlight switch and the signal switch and horn. But I'm petrified to do my own work. I don't trust myself. I'd love your guys help rhough. And yes you did I was thinking about it but if everything goes according to plan and the go wants to I'll be working at the new VW store in Bismarck. They have already contacted me. So we will see. I'd love to have you guys help me on it thpught. I don't know why but I can't fix it. I'm scared to even touch it as far as repairs. I'm so scared to break it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
1963 Beetle
2000 Mercedes E320 Wagon
bigmontana
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Postby Mikewire on Oct Mon 20, 2014 3:54 pm

Ok, that info is good about warm starting, but again I'd just be saying the same thing I said above regarding choke/carb adjustment. Bulbs, again it needs 12V bulbs, which is a simple swap out. Also check fuses.

VW ownership requires one of two things: the ability to turn wrenches, or deep pockets.

I don't want to say it, but honestly, if you can't do some basic troubleshooting, you're in over your head. Wade and I both have our own projects, and a couple that we haven't even started with yet, so we just simply don't have time to work on it for you.

Not that we don't care or want to help, because we have in the past, it's simply a matter of time.

That's cool about the Bismarck VW, and it's quite a bit closer to Jackson. I hope it works out for you guys.

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby bigmontana on Oct Mon 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Fuses are good I have checked and replaced them. Ok I appreciate the advise. I only asked because I thought you didn't have any other projects since you have new dubs and wades bus is done. and you have helped me before. And you always offer to help people. I'm not over my head I have owned 8 VWs since 2001 ever year from 1969 to 2001 and in between I'll figure it out. Its not that I can't turn wrenches its the fact that I don't know what it is. I'm sorry I've troubled you or upset you dude. I'm a little confused but I guess I was mistaken. I'm not sure what happened between us and I'm not sure what I did to piss you off, but I'm sorry. I hope it works out for me there too. I'm ready to go. I don't have any friends here. Need to start over.
1963 Beetle
2000 Mercedes E320 Wagon
bigmontana
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Postby bigmontana on Oct Mon 20, 2014 4:40 pm

I won't ask anymore. I'm not stupid I'm sure I can figure it out. if not I'll do what I've done for over a decade of VW ownership and I'll find someone to help me.
1963 Beetle
2000 Mercedes E320 Wagon
bigmontana
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Postby Mikewire on Oct Mon 20, 2014 5:04 pm

OMG Matt, you're making drama. I don't hate you, and am not mad at you. You have friends here. Turning it back onto us because we don't have time to fix your problems is a huge mistake.

I helped and encouraged you to learn how to change the oil in your car. At my house. Using my tools. You are not stupid, but just proved you have not progressed.

We all have helped you, encouraged you, tried to empower you, told you what to check - Wade has done the same. We've done so many things to help you and with no appreciation. And now this thread...

If it takes getting mad at us for you to fix your own stuff, then I hope it works.

Good luck and godspeed.

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby bigmontana on Oct Mon 20, 2014 6:16 pm

I'm not mad and when have I ever not shown appreciation. Ive always appreciated what you have done. I'm just confused man. I got the feelings no one wanted me around. The last time and then you said you didnt want to help me work on my stuff i And no im not as good as you and wade at mechanics. Thats why i appreciaye your help. I know how to change oil I know how to do a lot I Just appreciate the second look. I can't afford to fix what I break. I don't trust myself. You have known that for a 8 years of you and I working on cars. I know you are busy and I wasn't expecting you to drop everything and when haven't I jumped in and helped. I want to do it I just like the second eye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
1963 Beetle
2000 Mercedes E320 Wagon
bigmontana
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Next

Return to Aircooled