Matt's 1963 Beetle and a 1600DP engine swap

Discussion area for all Classic aircooled models.

Moderator: Mikewire

Matt's 1963 Beetle and a 1600DP engine swap

Postby Mikewire on Jun Mon 10, 2013 9:22 am

Motor swap commenced 11am Saturday. Second day was needed ;)

Matt owns a 1963 Beetle that's been around in his family for a couple of generations, and it has a tired old 1200 in it. I'd say it has maybe 20HP left in it, and it has high miles (over 150K as it sounds) and, this 1200 in it now is it's second motor. It's so under powered it's really cannot be driven. The goal was to find another motor to drop in.

About a month ago we were on a Bus pick and found a yard with some Type I and II, and there was a 1600 dual port sitting on the ground, covered with a canvas tarp. We pulled the tarp off and found it's in decent shape, all ports capped off, tins recently painted, turned over, and didn't have any obvious end play issues. So Matt picked it up for $150 bucks - it's a complete, including 12v generator, flywheel, exhaust, etc.

I don't know why this motor was on the ground - upon inspection...it's clean, no oil leaks and painted tins, it looks like it was cared for...but it was a gamble for sure. It wasn't apparent until we got the motor in the car, but the rear main is leaking, and that will need to be replaced. so back out it will come, and the seal will be replaced.

This weekend we started on the project. First off, it's a 6V car, and while in this process we are converting it to 12V. We changed oil cooler seals right away and pulled the tired 1200 out. The generator had 0v output, so Wade had a spare so we swapped that out with a working used 12v generator. Bolted up the newer style clutch disk and pressure plate from the old to the new motor.

Surprise...we found a few challenges getting the new motor in:

There are transmission bell housing clearance issues we were unaware of, and that threw us off the first day. Try as we did, there was no way a 1600DP is going to fit an early transmission bell housing without modification. We found some info (a thread with mention to a sticky, but no sticky...and a YouTube video with decent info) on having to clearance the case, but no good pictures or information on how much to remove. So we ground the obvious spots where the flywheel was hitting, and took a little more on the bottom, top and sides. It now fits in just fine, but may need clearanced further.

The 12v conversion seems straight enough. We already have a new 12v starter, and battery...although we will need to get the proper size...the donor out of my Caddy was too big. All bulbs will be replaced and the wiper motor and flasher relay are on the list to purchase.

A fairly short punch list remains:
  1. Rear main seal
  2. Wiring to/from VR
  3. All bulbs to 12v
  4. Wiper conversion to 12v
  5. Buy a 12v battery
Matt's documenting, but his pictures are blurry or too dark to post...maybe he has a couple that will turn out. Should be a good project when it's all done!

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Re: Matt's 1963 Beetle and a 1600DP engine swap

Postby itskmill06 on Jun Mon 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Sweet guys! Glad to hear updates on this. Also happy we didn't sell you a brick

Sent from my Atrix 2 on TAPATALK woot
itskmill06
In the engine bay...

In the engine bay...

Postby Mikewire on Jun Mon 10, 2013 9:44 pm

I should add to that original post that without Wade, Cole and Matt the swap would have been much harder and less fun...although we were all beat at the end of both days.

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby YASHA7FOLD on Jun Thu 13, 2013 10:41 pm

So a little update. Mike and I pulled the engine again to do some more clearance work and to install a new rear main seal and yes we did both the rear seal and the one in the flywheel. We did find that whoever did the last seal used rtv along with the seal and they didn't replace the flywheel seal. ImageImage
Then back on with the clutch with utmost precision. ImageImage
Next it was time to clear out some more material out of the bell housing for the 12v flywheel. (So glad there was no spark involved) Image
This is how much material was removed just today. Image
Well after all that Mike and I reinstalled the engine, got the starter wired and now it's a starter issue. :( So tomorrow we will pull the 6v starter and try the 12v starter and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.R13 5 (o\!/o)
..╚╬╬╝
... 24
YASHA7FOLD
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 58 Buggy,65 Baja,69 Beetle, 72 Westy

Postby YASHA7FOLD on Jun Fri 14, 2013 5:14 pm

Well all I can say is that Mike and I got it running today. Mike had to get ready for a camping trip so we didn't get it finished. But wait! There's another issue. I think the fuel pump may be bad.
.R13 5 (o\!/o)
..╚╬╬╝
... 24
YASHA7FOLD
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Postby kompressorgolf on Jun Fri 14, 2013 9:48 pm

Nice dudes! Now him and Jackson? I think? Can roll in style!
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby paintballguy424 on Jun Fri 14, 2013 10:24 pm

YASHA7FOLD wrote:Well all I can say is that Mike and I got it running today. Mike had to get ready for a camping trip so we didn't get it finished. But wait! There's another issue. I think the fuel pump may be bad.

Good to hear! Progress is progress.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2
2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road
1969 Beetle
Rennwagen1 wrote:I'll hug it out bitch.

paintballguy424
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: 2009 Tacoma TRD Off Road
69 Beetle

Postby YASHA7FOLD on Jun Fri 14, 2013 10:41 pm

kompressorgolf wrote:Nice dudes! Now him and Jackson? I think? Can roll in style!

Probably wont be rolling till late next week. The Ross's are headed out of town and any progress will be halted till he gets back.

.R13 5 (o\!/o)
..╚╬╬╝
... 24
YASHA7FOLD
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Postby YASHA7FOLD on Jun Sun 23, 2013 11:50 am

More work to be done. Image

.R13 5 (o\!/o)
..╚╬╬╝
... 24
YASHA7FOLD
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Postby Mikewire on Jun Mon 24, 2013 9:36 am

Wade and I teamed up and got the motor installed and running. As you can see above, Wade cleaned up the Solex 34 PICT 3. We got it installed yesterday afternoon, and I tuned it a bit, got it idling decent...but maybe still a bit on the rich side. But, it runs like a raped ape! Sounds badass too!

It needs a few more things done...rear tin installed and the charging system checked to make sure it's doing it's thing. Matt will be a happy guy. Matt if you are reading this, let me know when you can come by. Maybe this week sometime?

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Next

Return to Aircooled