School me on GTIs

This discussion forum is for any general discussions related to all makes and models of Volkswagen.

Moderator: Mikewire

School me on GTIs

Postby Bobcat Sig on Apr Thu 14, 2011 11:16 am

I'm somewhat familiar with this iconic car, but looking to get more information. Why? Well ... as awesome as the e28 is, me thinks that I'll need something a bit better on gas to run around on during the summer. I'd also like a car to make trips back to Portland in that won't knee-cap with fuel costs. The 535 only gets about 22mpg, which only marginally better than the Land Cruiser.

I've always had a soft spot for hot hatches. The Corrado is still one of my all time favorite cars, but they are hard to find in decent condition ... at least that's been my experience. So that's brought me to GTIs.

I think I have a good handle on the different Mks - as far as body style. Much beyond that, I don't know much about which are more desirable and engine options. I'll probably forgo any of the MKIs, unless heavily modified. So I'm think MKII through MKIV.

In doing some interwebbing, I found this: http://montana.craigslist.org/cto/2242740865.html
I like it for the classic look and the quad headlights.

Side note; is it GTi, or GTI?

What can the experts tell me?
Bobcat Sig
In the engine bay...

In the engine bay...

Vehicles: e46 330Ci, UZJ100 Land Cruiser

Re: School me on GTIs

Postby kompressorgolf on Apr Thu 14, 2011 11:28 am

depends, any of them can be fantastic, its all about your dedication to it, my mk1, everything has been replaced or refurbished, everything. inc. nuts and bolts. but its turned around great reliability for the time its been driven, minus the axles fuckin exploding from turbo torque, but it was expected till the tranny was uprated. if you dont mind spending time and a little cash on the things any mk1 mk2 will be fine, but it is harder for the older ones to hang with the newer ones on cruises and what not. but as far as class and style nothing beats a mk1/2 everyone loves them, inc non enthusiasts.
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby kompressorgolf on Apr Thu 14, 2011 11:28 am

^ that would be a decent start, 92 is a good year, last year of mk2
kompressorgolf

Postby Bobcat Sig on Apr Thu 14, 2011 11:34 am

I tend to go for the MKII out of style, more than anything. I also know that they are relatively easy to work on, which is also an attraction.

The other $64.000 question is the engines. In the older models, I notice both the VR6 and 8v. Seems as the fours have more of a following, yes?

Alternatively, what are the sorts of things I should look for and/or avoid in pouring through the different MKs?
Bobcat Sig
In the engine bay...

In the engine bay...

Postby MT-Getto on Apr Thu 14, 2011 11:45 am

8v is not a real GTI. Do you have a price range in mind? 3500-5K will get you a F'n sweet MK2 16V GTI. Look for the 2L instead of the 1.8. Motronic VS CIS injection and a better Electrical system (easier to drop the VR6 into).
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby Bobcat Sig on Apr Thu 14, 2011 12:03 pm

MT-Getto wrote:8v is not a real GTI. Do you have a price range in mind? 3500-5K will get you a F'n sweet MK2 16V GTI. Look for the 2L instead of the 1.8. Motronic VS CIS injection and a better Electrical system (easier to drop the VR6 into).

Ahh, sweet. Good to know on all accounts. I think $3.5k is probably going to be my ceiling. It all depends on what the e28 will fetch.

When I talk of something modified, this one caught my eye: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/2313268083.html

I like the idea of the 16v motor for simplicity and I would guess fuel consumption. What's the story on the VR6s?
Bobcat Sig
In the engine bay...

In the engine bay...

Postby MT-Getto on Apr Thu 14, 2011 12:16 pm

VR6 makes a heavenly noise, pulls nice, gets 28 Highway with your foot in the gas and will always bring a huge smile to your face and gain you scene points.
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby kompressorgolf on Apr Thu 14, 2011 12:34 pm

there is truth in everything in above post :)
kompressorgolf

Postby Bobcat Sig on Apr Thu 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Man ... You guys are full of info and such a bad influence! I'm already thinking GTi, and now you have my head spinning how I could procure a MKII and then find a VR6 to swap in.

I thought I read somewhere that due to the intake and exhaust design, the heat caused heat gaskets to crack/fail prematurely.
Bobcat Sig
In the engine bay...

In the engine bay...

Postby 76scirocco on Apr Thu 14, 2011 2:44 pm

If you are serious about wanting to get one to drop a swap into I might be able to help you out. I have a 92 GTI that I am still up in the air on what I am doing with it.

76scirocco
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Next

Return to Volkswagen Lounge