Throttle cut issues, help please.

Discussion forum for Audi A4/S4/RS4

Throttle cut issues, help please.

Postby Ramrod on Jun Mon 11, 2007 3:40 pm

I've been researching and thing I've narrowed my throttle cut issue down to a couple things. I'm getting TC in 4th-6th, especially with the chip turned on when I'm calling for high boost. It's happening consistantly when I'm at WOT.

So from my research I either have a boost leak or a bad EGT sensor. I'm going to test for a boost leak this week using a bike pump. I've been unable to locate a compressor with a regulator, so I'm going to try it this way. If anyone has one, hook a brother up.

Both can be diagnosed with a VAGcom. I've got an old version of the software, but no cable. And I'm a bit of noob when it comes to using it, even if I find a cable. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I need to fix this problem to take undue stress of my turbos, but I'm having trouble diagnosing the exact problem.
"That Guy"
B5 Audi S4 Stg 3, '00 A6 Avant, '69 VW Squareback, '69 VW Westfalia
Image_________________________Image
Ramrod
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jun Mon 11, 2007 6:25 pm

I have a cable, if you need to borrow it. I can send it out tomorrow if you like. I am not as versed in the biturbo motors, so that is about as much help as I can be right now............but I really like the idea of using a bike pump to check for leaks, that is straight gangsta!
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby Mikewire on Jun Tue 12, 2007 12:29 am

I have a compressor with a regulator. If you come down for the run we can test it out (I think you said you were?). I have Vag-Com as well. Or Aeron will hook you up too. :thumbsup:

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby Ramrod on Jun Tue 12, 2007 8:15 am

Thanks guys. Last night I tested it using Rob (General Lee Scirocco) compressor. I found one leak, but it was one of the plugs that I installed for doing the pressure test. I have to get a larger hose clamp to fix the issue. Hopefully, I can use Rob's compressor again and give it another shot. The bike pump would work if you had no leaks, but if you do it won't help you find any. I'd like to get the pressure test done and out of the way.

Mike, I am planning on coming for the run this weekend. Do I need to locate which blocks we will need log prior to coming? Thanks for the help, I'm in new terrirtory with this software stuff. Aeron, thanks for the offer, but I'll try Mike's first since I was planning on going to Billings anyway.
"That Guy"
Ramrod
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Postby Mikewire on Jun Tue 12, 2007 8:43 am

Ramrod wrote:...Mike, I am planning on coming for the run this weekend. Do I need to locate which blocks we will need log prior to coming? Thanks for the help, I'm in new terrirtory with this software stuff. Aeron, thanks for the offer, but I'll try Mike's first since I was planning on going to Billings anyway.

Yeah, try to find some info if you can, because I have no idea. I use version 3.11, so it's a little older but knowing Ross-Tech they probably haven't changed anything with the block information. Do you have the factory repair manual? I only have it for Jetta/GTI 99-04 - although I have found the codes 'generally' cross over to the Passat and other VAG cars - if you have any that is.

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby Ramrod on Jun Tue 12, 2007 10:31 am

Alright, here's the details.

The EGT blocks are 034/035 or block 112. Both should display the temp in C to determine if they are working properly.

Boost will need to be logged using blocks 114 (Actual boost), and 115 (Spec'd boost). I'm assuming either the software can graph it or the data can be entered in excel.

Here are resources for block identification.
http://s4wiki.com/wiki/VAGCOM

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/
"That Guy"
Ramrod
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Postby Ramrod on Jun Tue 12, 2007 10:33 am

Also read that block 112 should read 1035 with engine off, and 945 with engine running.

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2219339.phtml
"That Guy"
Ramrod
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Postby Mikewire on Jun Tue 12, 2007 11:10 am

We should be able to measure and log/graph all of the values. I've used the graph to follow RPM's and it's pretty cool. Your car knows everything you do to it :ninja: good or bad :confused:

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby Ramrod on Jun Tue 12, 2007 11:40 am

There's a small possibility, given the symptoms, that I have a bad coolant temp sensor. But untill we plug her in and talk to her, there's not much more I can do. Still going to try and complete that pressure test though.

Thanks again Mike.
"That Guy"
Ramrod
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Postby ValveFloat on Jun Tue 12, 2007 1:06 pm

I have a cable also, if you want to borrow it.
I don't have any experience with an S4, but I can help with the basics of the software.

-Joe
ValveFloat

Vehicles: 1991 911
2003 Ducati M620

Next

Return to Audi A4/S4/RS4