Help with Girlfriend's A4.

Discussion forum for Audi A4/S4/RS4

Help with Girlfriend's A4.

Postby frypod on Aug Tue 03, 2010 10:18 pm

First of all, Hey guys. My name is Noah, I live in Great Falls. Just to get it out there, I drive an 02 WRX Wagon and am on BSS. They told me to come here with my questions :)

My girlfriend just bought a 1999 Audi A4 1.8T from Bennett Motors. Decent car for the price, but there's a bunch of stuff that I find displeasing. First of all, the driver side headlight fills up with moisture if it's washed. So I'm wondering on how I go about resealing that light.

Second and MOST IMPORTANT: If the car is in gear, a rumble will start underneath the car and will somewhat shake the steering wheel. My first thought was the drive-train as it only happens while in gear, but Erik from Rimrock said that it could be an engine/tranny mount. Any info would help me out guys. Thank you!!
frypod
n00b...

n00b...

Re: Help with Girlfriend's A4.

Postby Mikewire on Aug Wed 04, 2010 8:32 am

Welcome and hello! On the light housing, open the hood and make sure the back of the housing is sealed and closed up correctly. It's probably not all the way sealed or at worst cracked. If the housing needs replaced, it's no big deal to find one in a yard or on the Audizine.com classifieds for a B5 Audi. Just wondering, are the halogen or HID?

On the rumble, is this a tiptronic or auto, or manual? On both models there is a cross member and a mount that wears out over time. It just needs to be replaced. Chances are that both motor mounts need replaced as well, so take a look there. They are fluid filled and you will see traces of a light oil if the mounts are blown.

Both things are really no big deal - a used Audi will have things that need to be fixed because of lack of $$ or lack of knowledge, or both. Luckily B5 parts are fairly inexpensive - take a look at ECS tuning, 034 motorsports, MJM Autohaus, and http://genuinevwaudiparts.com for OEM replacement parts.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby kompressorgolf on Aug Wed 04, 2010 9:12 am

nice, i was goint to say tranny and or engine mounts.
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby padroB5 on Aug Wed 04, 2010 9:42 am

just put trans an engina mounts on the S4 an depend on which ones you get if you get OEM you will have the original factory pay. but if you get stiffer mounts you will get a lil vibratin because of they style of the mount. OEM= smooth ride
My wagon ant fast just gets Groceries fast.....
WAGONS NEED LOVE TOOOOOOOO!!!!!(quoted the wife)

VW,
Yes it is Fast,
NO, you can't Drive it!
padroB5
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 00Passat2.8.toy
05 silvarado1500

Postby vegas2017 on Aug Sun 08, 2010 11:21 am

figure out what the problem was yet?
2001.5 S4- STG 3-(project car)