Radio testing

This discussion forum is for audio, video, security, navigation systems, satellite radio etc.

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

Radio testing

Postby TDI in MT on Aug Fri 23, 2013 4:46 pm

For those with double-DIN Monsoon radios, here's a way to test your radio's antenna. :cool:

With the radio on, press & hold the MIX button 5 seconds or so, until SERVICE TEST MODE shows up in the display. Then press MIX again. This takes you to the antenna test. If it shows up as ANTENNA ON, that means the preamp at the base of the antenna is working (I think).

Pressing MIX again takes you to the next test. At some point there is a signal strength meter; if the line is black, then signal = 100%. You can press the memory presets during this test to see if one station is stronger than another.

Turn the radio off to exit test mode.
TDI in MT
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

Vehicles: 07 Honda Accord

Re: Radio testing

Postby 73veedubya on Aug Sat 24, 2013 3:54 am

I know mine don't work. .. it works in town but drive just a few miles out and static. .

1973 VW SuperBeetle
2004 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd

Thats not oil my Beetle's leaking its sweat from all the horse power
73veedubya
In the passengers seat...

In the passengers seat...

Vehicles: Mk4 Jetta GLS TDI
73 Superbeetle

Postby Roadhog on Aug Sat 24, 2013 10:23 pm

73veedubya wrote:I know mine don't work. .. it works in town but drive just a few miles out and static. .

you need to replace your antenna amp. Right underneath the antenna base.
Roadhog
I heart LOLcats

I heart LOLcats

Vehicles:  

Postby TDI in MT on Sep Sun 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Here's what I found today on my antenna base. No corrosion anywhere, a good thing of course, but kind of strange considering this car spent most of it's previous life outside.

The arrow indicates flattened coax. :thumbsdown: As a ham radio guy I know that's a bad thing. I thought something was wrong when I tried to pull on the coax coming out of the threaded base and it wouldn't move. Either someone had already replaced the base and caused this problem when tightening the crossmember screws, or it came this way from the factory. Regardless, the coax was pinched between the silver crossmember and the body.

Also, that tan board on the right is what resides in the black plastic antenna base. It's actually a circuit board with some electronics on it. You're seeing the back of it in this picture. When mounted on the car, this is outside, covered by the black plastic thing that the antenna mast screws in to.

Now perhaps I know why VCDS would occasionally show "antenna - short to ground - intermittent".

For anyone that has to replace it, on an '03 Golf it is moderately easy, but the PITA meter is almost pegged. Because you'll never want to do this again, buy this part from the dealer. 1j0-035-501-f, $85 at MIG. Chinese Replacement Auto Parts (aka crap) well, sometimes there's a reason they're cheap. That was not the case with my problem, but I didn't want to find myself missing a gasket or something cheap (but absolutely necessary) that would have come with an OE unit.

TDI in MT
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

Vehicles: 07 Honda Accord

Return to Car Audio & Electronics