Help! I'm audio illiterate!

This discussion forum is for audio, video, security, navigation systems, satellite radio etc.

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

Help! I'm audio illiterate!

Postby DynoJetta on May Mon 02, 2011 3:15 pm

Disclaimer: I don't know JACK about audio systems, so a.) be kind b.) talk simple. :laughing:

So my Jetta has the Monsoon sound system. For someone who's never been big into audio it's worked out great for me. Recently my brother was going through storage and asked me if I wanted a set of old subs and an amp.

JL 12" 12W0-4 subs (x2) and a Rockford Fosgate Punch 360 Amp:
Image Image Image Image

The subs were in this longer box which originally went behind the bench seat of a 70's Ford truck (9x18x60 I believe are the dimensions).
Image Image

Wanting a little more bass in my Jetta, I think one of these 12s would be enough to meet my goal. As I'm limited on time and money at the moment, I want to to keep this as simple as possible (K.I.S.S).

So my questions are:
1. Would it be too much trouble to make this work with my factory Monsoon system?
2. Box - totally do not know anything about boxes. I don't use my trunk very often, but it would be nice to have it somewhat out of the way. It'd be great to find someone who has a box that they'd sell cheap. ?????
3. Is the Rockford amp going to work for a single 12" sub? Would I be better off using a different amp?
4. I want to do whatever it takes to prevent "the rattle." I can't stand cars driving around going THUMP zzzzzzzzz because their sub is rattling the crap out of their car. Minimal to no rattle.
5. Or, am I just wasting my time with the old setup and should just find some sap to buy it?

Because I only want to use one of the subs, if anyone is interested in the other, I'd be willing to trade for a box and wiring help. Also, the original box (which looks to just need new carpet) is available.

Lay it on me Audio gurus!
"When you want to be a somebody; you drive a new car...When you know who you are; you drive an old car."
DynoJetta
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: '81 Rabbit Diesel LS
'03 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Re: Help! I'm audio illiterate!

Postby Rennwagen1 on May Tue 03, 2011 10:07 am

Here is my quick answer. Pass on all that stuff. Yes, you may be able to get it to work, but it looks like the amp won't run 1 sub well, but it all depends on what it puts out at bridged 4ohm. You will need a new box for sure, and I am not sure on the specs for those subs, but you could build something I suppose. If you don't want the "rattle' you are going to need sound deadener in the trunk, which adds weight. If you are still wanting something to add a little more punch, you can always search the net(can't believe I am saying that as an audio installer!) and find some good deals on new stuff that will work better together. And a lot of times you can get them to throw in free(cheap!) wiring kits with amps and such. Good luck!
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby kompressorgolf on May Tue 03, 2011 2:20 pm

for a little more kick, that JL W0 should be ample, a punch 360 should be plenty to give you what your looking for, make a 1-1.25 cubic foot sealed box, and rock it. I ran two 10" W3's in high school with a punch 400 amp, and it was almost intollerable in an S-10 blazer!
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby MT-Getto on May Tue 03, 2011 2:50 pm

I think the issue would be connecting to the Monsoon though. I see the high level input but it is not pass through.
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby Mikewire on May Tue 03, 2011 10:46 pm

A high to low level converter would work fine for a 2 channel amp and a sub. So Josh you would need a power kit, which would have a 2 gauge red (fused) power cable and a small 2ft. ground, that low level converter (~$25), an RCA cable from the low level converter to the amp, and a couple of feet of decent 14 gauge speaker cables from the sub to the amp.

I think the hardest part of the setup would be tapping into the rear speakers for the signal to the low level converter. And running the power from the battery through the car to the back where the amp will sit.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Return to Car Audio & Electronics