Pioneer AVG-VDP1

This discussion forum is for audio, video, security, navigation systems, satellite radio etc.

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

Re: Pioneer AVG-VDP1

Postby Johnny Chopsticks on Jan Wed 12, 2011 11:39 am

The problem with the MSD module is that the wire clamp is able to clamp over about a 14ga jacketed wire MAX, so it wouldn't fit over a plug wire. :banghead: I think I'll double-check my wiring for the MSD module first and see if I can get the ignition coil to work, then if not, I'll resort to cylinder #1's injector wire.
My Porsche doesn't leak oil; it marks its territory.
Johnny Chopsticks
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Vehicles: 1986 Porsche 944

Postby Mikewire on Jan Wed 12, 2011 11:48 am

Yeah, I though the module clamp was a little small - I saw on the diagram that it only needs the [+] wire in the coil wire. After taking a second look, it seems like that would be for something like a coilpack, something like on the 1.8T that is comprised of 4 individual wires. So for your setup you would almost have to use the injector wire.

Quite the challenge you have there :)

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby Darkside on Jan Wed 12, 2011 1:43 pm

I have used the MSD 6al boxes without any problems but, I have no experience with this. Good luck :)
MKIII VR6 MKII 8v
Darkside
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 97' Jetta VR6
85' Golf 8v

Postby Johnny Chopsticks on Jan Wed 12, 2011 3:26 pm

BTW, some guy on Ebay has been selling New In Box AVG-VDP1's lately. I don't know how many he has (relists it after each one ends), but they've been ending ~$100-$150. You guys might wanna snatch one up before he runs out! (nudges Mike) :unibrow:
Johnny Chopsticks
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Postby ValveFloat on Jan Wed 12, 2011 5:00 pm

mmm, I gotta say that MSD thing makes no sense to me. Usually the ground side of a coil is the trigger side, so I would think that thing should go on the ground side of a coil, or injector.

What does the AVG-VDP1 thing want for RPM input? Does your car have a CDI box? Where is the tach getting its signal?

:o Lots of questions, no answers...
ValveFloat

Vehicles: 1991 911
2003 Ducati M620

Postby Johnny Chopsticks on Jan Wed 12, 2011 7:59 pm

The AVG-VDP1 has a red wire on the wiring harness that needs to be attached to the switched ACC wire, controlled by the ignition switch. This red wire apparently is used to notice pulses created by the ignition noise in the electrical system (and note the frequency of the pulses), and use this to generate RPMs. Without a proper RPM reading, the AVG-VDP1 cannot estimate horsepower, torque, etc. I think my car has decent noise suppression, which prevents the AVG-VDP1 from picking up the pulses. Hence the reason for the MSD module...

Below is a link to a picture for the rest of the wires for the wiring harness. The image was shrunk beyond readability when posted.
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/2263/scan0006wr.jpg

I don't think my car has a CDI box. The electrical diagram doesn't say anything about one. The dash tachometer is receiving its signal from the DME control unit, if I'm reading the electrical diagram correctly.

So I double-checked the wiring for the MSD module and found the ground wire to be loose. I temporarily soldered all three wires (green, red, black) to be safe, and found my AVG-VDP1 unable to turn on... I unsoldered the ground (black), unit powers back on. :screwy: I then reconnected the ground, then touched the green and red wires together (therefore bypassing the MSD), AVG unit turns on. Now I'm really confused.

I understand why if I touch the green and red together the AVG unit powers on: doing this bypasses the MSD module, resulting in the AVG unit being wired identically as before I bought the MSD module. Same errors in RPM reading, just like before. But why, when the green and red wires are not touching (and ground is connected) does the AVG-VDP1 not have power? I tried the MSD module on either of the two wires (green and black) coming off the ignition coil, and still had no ability to power up the AVG unit. :retard:

I think the next thing I try will be to clamp onto one of the two wires for the fuel injector and pray that the AVG unit powers on and reads a pulse...
Johnny Chopsticks
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jan Wed 12, 2011 10:53 pm

I am just putting this out there, but in the 12v world, the red wire is just a switched ingnition input, no more. I am not familiar with this processor, but unless it is using the red wire for something else, it should just be hooked up to keyed ignition. Also, if I am reading this right, and I like to think I am , the green wire is just a parking brake input, pretty much pioneer standard. And when you solder it to the red wire, you are mimicking the parking brake being on and the unit powers up. What you can do is put a switch on the green lead and use it to fake the parking brake, so that you can input while moving, even though it is not recommended.

I am not sure about the rpm thing though, I have not read much into that yet. hope that helps, and I am not trying to be condecending at all.

Also, does your car have bosch style fuel injectors? Or is the CIS style? If you have injectors with two wires, I would try that next.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby Johnny Chopsticks on Jan Wed 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks for your input Aeron. You are correct that the green wire coming off of the AVG unit's wiring harness is the parking break wire. However, I am talking about the green wire coming off of the MSD 8918 module, which (according to the MSD manual) attaches to the "RPM Activated Device," the red wire on the MSD module attaches to "Switched 12 Volt," and black is obviously ground. I'm sorry I didn't specify that I was talking about the MSD module's wires and not the AVG wires.

Below is a link to a photo from a guy who installed an AVG-VDP1 in a Chrysler Crossfire. (Pic was too big to post)
http://4x4icon.com/crossfire/Vehicle_Dynamics_Processor/master_v5.gif

I've read elsewhere on other forums and installs that the red wire on the AVG unit's wiring harness picks up the pulses, which gives many people headaches (why didn't Pioneer just have a Tach wire, like the Speed Sensing Wire?).
Johnny Chopsticks
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Postby ValveFloat on Jan Thu 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Johnny Chopsticks wrote:...
I understand why if I touch the green and red together the AVG unit powers on: doing this bypasses the MSD module, resulting in the AVG unit being wired identically as before I bought the MSD module. Same errors in RPM reading, just like before. But why, when the green and red wires are not touching (and ground is connected) does the AVG-VDP1 not have power? I tried the MSD module on either of the two wires (green and black) coming off the ignition coil, and still had no ability to power up the AVG unit. :retard:

I think the next thing I try will be to clamp onto one of the two wires for the fuel injector and pray that the AVG unit powers on and reads a pulse...

Does the AVG-VDP get its power from the 26 pin cable shown in your diagram? If it doesn't the only way I see that box getting power is from the red wire. Not really understanding what is happening inside the MSD thing I would assume that it will not provide constant 12v power.
If I am just confusing matters, tell me to shut up.
ValveFloat

Vehicles: 1991 911
2003 Ducati M620

Postby Johnny Chopsticks on Jan Fri 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Joe, I'm assuming the AVG gets its power from the 26-pin cable, but I'm not 100% sure. But I am sure that the red 12V ACC wire's purpose is to not supply power, but rather supply a pulse reading for the tachometer (verified by like 4 forums).

So, I think I've figured out what's wrong. It appears that my MSD module is fried (probably came that way since other people had the same problem with Amazon). I'm gonna try a replacement and pray that it fixes the RPM issue.

Reasons leading me to believe that it's the module: other people have received dead modules, all of my wiring has been confirmed as correct, I've installed the module in every manner displayed in the installation manual, connecting the ground wire on the MSD module kills power to the AVG-VDP1, and my car battery was dead when I left the ground wire connected over the weekend. I'm thinking there is a short inside of the MSD module, allowing current to slowly flow. This would explain my dead car battery (which is fairly new) and the reason why the AVG-VDP1 dies when I connect the ground wire to the negative battery terminal.
Johnny Chopsticks
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

PreviousNext

Return to Car Audio & Electronics