Amplifier Help!

This discussion forum is for audio, video, security, navigation systems, satellite radio etc.

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

Re: Amplifier Help!

Postby Mikewire on Feb Mon 08, 2010 5:32 pm

:thumbsup:

Looks good - Nice innovation the amp mount!

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby Rennwagen1 on Feb Wed 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Glad you got it figured out. Mike and I will gladly have a beer with you! (no homo, Mike) I think on your crossover points you are going to have a problem that you can't get around. Even though the 4x6s say they are good down to 75 hz, I doubt they will run that low. I usually set my crossover points so that the highs roll on when the subs roll off. I usually set my subs (depending on install and application of course) low pass between 80 to 100hz, and then set the high pass to 100hz and up. I think you have your subs set too high at 200hz, they won't like it too much when you really crank on it, and the sound will get muddy. I would set it up initally at low pass at 100hz and high pass at 100z, just so there is no gap and go from there. It also depends on if you have dB/octave slop adjustablility in your HU also, then you could adjust your high pass up to like 120 or 150, and still have good sound.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby Johnny Chopsticks on Feb Fri 12, 2010 12:02 am

Yeah, I tried my crossovers for my speakers at different settings, and they seem to prefer a high pass setting of 125 hz. I'll try adjusting my low pass crossovers on my subs down this weekend. My HU does have HP and LP crossovers for the speakers and subs (I think 18 db/octave), and so do the amps (maybe 12 db/octave, don't remember).

As for a different topic, I'm debating on installing a center channel speaker (unknown location, maybe the dash or lower din?). My HU has 5.1 capabilities, with either rca output or directly powered from the HU (50W max). I seem to have a few options on center channel speaker choices (listed below), or I could even build my own little enclosure...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i330_center-channel-speakers.html

The way it's looking, it doesn't seem worth it to install the Alpine speaker, because I would have to install another amp just for it. The Pioneer one seems like a better choice because I can use the HU as the power supply. JVC also makes a center speaker that looks identical to Pioneer's, but has a small mid and separate tweeter (I think it's around the same power rating as the Pioneer too). I know that JVC stands for Just Very Cheap in the car audio world, but I would plan on dis-assembling the housing and replacing the speakers with better ones if possible. And this is why I'm debating on just building one...

I would like to hear more vocals if possible. Again, super-huge thanks in advance for your expert input on this.
My Porsche doesn't leak oil; it marks its territory.
Johnny Chopsticks
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Vehicles: 1986 Porsche 944

Postby bmx_a4 on Feb Fri 12, 2010 12:22 pm

I don't even have 5.1 in my living room... lol.
2000 A4 1.8TQM -
-Single Mass Flywheel-APR Turbo Inlet Pipe-Column Mount Boost Gauge-Test Pipe-2.75" Exhaust-Eibach Springs-APR Snub Mount -
bmx_a4
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: 00 A4 Quattro 1.8T
98 A4 2.8 - RIP

Postby Johnny Chopsticks on Feb Fri 12, 2010 12:29 pm

Lol, I know it's pretty ridiculous. Especially in a car as small as mine. :laughing:

But the AVH-P7500DVD had an MSRP price of $2700 (according to Pioneer's website), so it has like a zillion features that I still don't even know exist. Like TV tuner, navigation attachment, backup camera, multi-dvd attachment, XM-ready, multi-channel auto-time alignment, Dolby Pro Logic II, independent rear display output, etc. :retard: I printed the manual for it, and it is practically a textbook thick. I'm just happy I didn't pay retail for the thing...

I don't know if 5.1 will do much in my car besides make my music that much louder. I doubt I'll be able to notice 5.1 when watching a DVD, not while driving of course! (even though it's wired to do so...)
Johnny Chopsticks
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Postby bmx_a4 on Feb Fri 12, 2010 12:35 pm

lol. Friend of mine from a few years back had a 97 Jetta VR6 with in dash dvd that we hooked his PS2 up to and I found out how weird it was to play Need for Speed while cruising around. Whenever my friend would turn the car left, I'd want to turn left in the game. haha
2000 A4 1.8TQM -
-Single Mass Flywheel-APR Turbo Inlet Pipe-Column Mount Boost Gauge-Test Pipe-2.75" Exhaust-Eibach Springs-APR Snub Mount -
bmx_a4
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: 00 A4 Quattro 1.8T
98 A4 2.8 - RIP

Postby Rennwagen1 on Feb Sun 14, 2010 10:48 am

5.1 is not as cool in a dialy driver as you would think. You will hardly use it. The biggest caveat is that almost no music is recorded in 5.1. So then you are going to be processing it from 2.0 ot 5.1, and not getting true 5.1. I have one USAC judging disc that is recorded in 5.1 and it won't play in anything I have. That is the only CD i have ever had that was encoded that way. I actually judged the 5.1 class at the 2001 USACi worlds finals in Kansas City, MO. That was pretty neat, but the work that goes into a great sounding 5.1 car is intense. My favorite sounding car was actually an Audi A4 wagon. IIRC, they won the class(using some crazy ribbon speakers in the front), with Gary Biggs coming in second in "The Reaper II"

If you are truly stuck on getting 5.1 in the car, scrap all of the "center channel" speaker that you find. If you want it to sound right, you will need to use 1/2 of a pair of your front 4x6 speakers. I know that sounds dumb to buy a set and use 1, but you would then have an extra to use if one ever blows in the car. You will be able to use that center channel output from your deck, but then you are going to have to adjust the gains of the rest of the speakers down, or they will will drown out the center channel speaker, thus making your 5.1 useless. So, you are going to be torn between how you have made it sound after all your hard work and tuning, or re-tuning everything to use 5.1 occasionally.

Anyway, in the end it is your car and system, and do what you want, but I think it will be a ton too much work, for not a lot of gain(no pun intended). and in the end if you want to borrow my USAC 5.1 judging disc, let me know, and we'll do a listening session.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby Johnny Chopsticks on Feb Sun 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Thanks for the info, Aeron. I think I'll hold off on doing 5.1, it just doesn't "sound" worth it. :laughing: I'm already extremely content with my stereo now, and wouldn't want to restart the entire process again...

Do you know of any music that I would enjoy testing my stereo with? I pretty much listen to everything. What I want to do is listen for clarity and balance, so I can adjust my stereo if need be. A CD one of my co-workers lent me is by Papa Doo Run-Run (Beach Boys cover band), and the music was recorded uncompressed. So when you hear the bass drum thump, or the vocals pick up, or the guitar start a solo, it's very intense. My co-worker used to work at Avitel in Bozeman back in the day, and lends me music to hear in my car occasionally. It's quite an experience, because I hear musical details I never knew existed.

Any recommendations on songs/artists is greatly appreciated, whether it be metal, classic/hard rock, techno, rap, country, oldies, indie, pop, new-age, classical, r&b, punk, etc. Thanks!
Johnny Chopsticks
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Previous

Return to Car Audio & Electronics