To Cap or not to cap

This discussion forum is for audio, video, security, navigation systems, satellite radio etc.

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

To Cap or not to cap

Postby JayB on May Mon 11, 2009 8:53 pm

That is the question. I come from the old school ways of running the amp with out a cap. I've seen some set ups with them and with out. Just wanting some opinions.
1991 VW Fox
1989 Jetta GL (long gone)

Real racers do it in the dirt
JayB
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Re: To Cap or not to cap

Postby t53a on May Tue 12, 2009 8:41 am

well there are a lot of variables here.

how do you listen to your tunes? rock out for multiple songs before you give the sub a break?
how many amp alt?
how big of battery?
how much power can the amp dish out?

most caps help (in the ideal situation), but only to an extent. they will hold a charge, and take SOME strain off the alt and main battery, but only for seconds (around 30 at most)

The "farad cap" in 99% of most situations are useless, even the big ones (other then JL's 1000 farad cap) they have even been proven to drop the average voltage going into the amp, thus resulting in a loss of SPL and SQ.

Most people use caps to help with head light dimming while night driving. but the technology is old and out dated. If you really feel the need to get some extra battery help then just get a Kinetik (<- ebay search it) and call it a day, they are a little pricey but WELL WORTH IT. I personally would recommend you simply replace your current regular old car battery with a kinetik, you will notice a HUGE improvement with your power drain issues.

hope this helps :thumbsup:

PS: i run without a cap, or a kinetik. BUT i relocated my regular under hood battery to the back as close to the amplifier as possible, and i run a 90a alternator. i notice my headlights dim, but i never drop below 13v.
Kevin K
92 legacy turbo
94 legacy sedan

"Forced induction - Babies get bottles, real men get blown."
t53a
Spoolin!

Spoolin!

Vehicles: subi's and vdubs

Postby Rennwagen1 on May Tue 12, 2009 3:05 pm

I have used them for years, and never had a problem with They are mainly used if you have a mono(sub) amp. 2 or 4ch amps don't neet them as much, although they can help. A good rule of thumb is 1 farad per 1000w of sub amp output. I personally run a Kenwood Excleon X401F and an X501M that is pushing around 1200 watts to the subs, and I have never noticed a problem, and I have had my cap for 11 years. Seems to work fine to me!
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby JayB on May Tue 12, 2009 5:54 pm

Thanks for the info. the amp I got its a small one. the head unit puts out 500w itself. but not enuff to really push my subs. :banghead:
1991 VW Fox

JayB
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Postby kompressorgolf on May Tue 12, 2009 5:57 pm

in my old system i rocked a Rockford Fosgate 50 Farad Capacitor, was about as big as my amp. and that was only on a one Amplifier system hooked to a single JL Audio 12W7. a bit excessive, absolutely! was on close-out and i was in the mood :cool:
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby JayB on Jun Wed 03, 2009 12:45 am

Now to hijack my own thread. Aeron I need some wiring help. Can't find a switched fuse to run my deck and don't have a wiring diagram to assist in this.
She's a 91 VW Fox.
1991 VW Fox

JayB
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jun Wed 03, 2009 8:35 am

Umm, why isn't there one in the stereo hole in the dash? If there is not, the first thing I check is cig lighter, cause it is ususally near the stereo. If that is constant 12V and does not turn off with the key, then I usually go right to the steering column. Just find where the harness comes out of the column shroud, and start check the smaller guage(larger) wires. The constant in VWs is usually red, but I am not sure what the switched accessory wire would be. Use a multi meter or a test light.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby JayB on Jun Wed 03, 2009 11:22 pm

Unfortunately my multimeter got eaten by a mouse infestin my muck room.. will try just runnin my fuses.
1991 VW Fox

JayB
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Return to Car Audio & Electronics