Audi A4 Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD install

This discussion forum is for audio, video, security, navigation systems, satellite radio etc.

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

Audi A4 Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD install

Postby Mikewire on Apr Tue 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Awwwwwww....thats sooooooo cute!! :unibrow: :heart:

no homo of course. ;)

Hey I was going to call but I ll just jack my own thread...I have a question about what mounting hardware to use on that Pioneer - There is a kit that comes with trim ring and hardware to mount but I thought I would get your opinion before. I don't have access to the right tools to make a bracket, and the trim ring that came with the HU sucks balls - it doesn't even look like it should go with that model. Suggestions?

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Re: WTB: Thule rack feet and cargo box

Postby Mikewire on Apr Tue 07, 2009 1:06 pm

That kit is the Pioneer Double Din ADT-VA133

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby Rennwagen1 on Apr Tue 07, 2009 4:18 pm

ummm, can you ISO mount the unit to the sides of the dash kit? I can't remember what it looked like. If I were you I would try to get it to mount "behind" the face of the kit, so that the business end sticks through flush with the dash. Maybe you won't need the trim ring? I usually dont use them. I put a cal into my Pioneer supplier to see what they think. The upside is that they have a warehouse in Billings, so if you need it, you can get it locally. I will let you know what he says. :question:
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby Mikewire on Apr Tue 07, 2009 8:55 pm

Ill have to take a few pics to show you how it fits.

Basically the HU is smaller than the metra dash kit opening, and the trim ring that came with the HU is bigger than the opening of the metra. So there has to be some trim ring to fill the gap between the HU and the inside opening if the metra kit right? I don't see any way to iso mount the HU because its too small, and there is nothing to mount it to. I would totally pick up that kit if I can find it locally...the installers here are fucking retarded and didn't even know about the DD pioneer kit. I do give props to the best buy install bay cause he knew, but didnt have it in stock.

:smoke: :wasted:

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Re: Audi A4 Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD install

Postby Mikewire on Apr Wed 08, 2009 12:49 am

Here are some pictures of what the setup is:

I didn't get a pic with the trim ring, but it sucks and I won't be using it anyway :\ If your supplier will sell me the kit I'll be willing to give it a try, even if it doesn't work. Or if you have a better solution :heart:

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby JayRyan on Apr Wed 08, 2009 8:24 am

MIke did you get the kit from Crutchfield? I've never had an issue with their install kits. Hmm...I'm feeling the RNS-E
'14 F-150 Ecoboost | Full Roush Tuning
'07 4Runner | IVD/Donahoe Racing/Camburg | TRD | Bajarack | PIAA
'68 MG C - For Sale: $6K

Former Dubs:
'03 A4 1.8TQM Modifcations
'04 Jetta VR6M GLI - Silvery
'99 Passat 1.8TM - Emerald Green
'88 Fox GL 1.8M - Brown...gold?
JayRyan
Spoolin!

Spoolin!

Vehicles: 2003 A4 1.8TQM, 2007 Toyota 4R, 1968 MGC

Postby Rennwagen1 on Apr Wed 08, 2009 9:00 am

I talked to my guy in billings, and he says tha he doesn't have one in stock, but it would take him maybe a day to get it. He might actually be a good guy to talk to on this also. He is a factory trained Pioneer tech, so he may be able to shed some light on it, since he can see and touch everything. It looks to me like you may need that kit, and then you would have to do some modification to the trim ring to get it to flush into the metra bezel. That is what it looks like from over here. If you want, I can get him to send up the DD kit, and I will put you in touch with him.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

Captain Pajama Shark
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Postby Mikewire on Apr Wed 08, 2009 2:04 pm

JR, I ordered the Metra dash kit, harness, radio adapter from Aeron, because I trust him and he knows exactly what to get. I got the unit off of eBay for way less than anywhere else. And, I wouldn't say there's a problem, but I do need some brackets or mounting hardware and a trim ring to make this look complete. I thought about the RSN-E but I'm not concerned about being OEM, and don't need Nav.

Aeron, sure please lets get that kit ordered - whomever I need to pay just let me know what I need to do. FWIW this is the same DD kit other people on Audizine have used to install the AVIC into an A4, and I'm pretty sure these units are almost the same dimension.

I wired up the harness last night and plugged it in and it sounds x10000 better than the stock unit. I did end up having to solder the rear +/- to the RCA plugs because there is no place to plug in RCA's for rear speakers.

To wrap it up, the 12v yellow needs to be hooked to a constant, the red to a switched, black to a solid ground, orange/white to the light switch for dimmer, and the light green to the parking switch (dvd playback). I'll end up extending all those wires to hook into various places under the drivers kick panel. Plus I still have the powered antenna adapter, and a 12V and a ground for my Sirius radio unit to hook into somewhere.

With multiple 12V feeds, is is acceptable to t-tap or into the same 12V wire twice? T-tap off of a t-tap'd wire? What's the best practice for power distribution?

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby Rennwagen1 on Apr Thu 09, 2009 9:58 am

I will get the kit shipped up to billings, that way you can just get it there. There is almost no room on something like this as fas as discounts, so if I shipped it and ran it through me, and then discounted it, and then you had to pay shipping, it would be more expensive than buying it from them. I will PM you the info for Nick in Billings.

As far as the 12v goes, you can use multiple t-taps, but if you can I try to get as much from a positive distribution lug as you can, but if you just need to hook up the deck and the sat tuner you would be fine doing it in the dash hole.

What is more important with 12v stuff is the ground. Make sure you find a good, paint free surface and secure it there. You should be able to find a screw or bolt that you can use in the dash hole also. Later!

Captain Pajama Shark
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Postby bigmontana on Apr Mon 13, 2009 10:50 pm

Looks good Mike. I can't wait to see the final product.
1963 Beetle
2001 Passat 4moWagon (Sold)
2000 Mercedes E320 Wagon
bigmontana
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 1963 Beetle 2000 Mercedes E320 Wagon

Next

Return to Car Audio & Electronics