Sub Distortion.

This discussion forum is for audio, video, security, navigation systems, satellite radio etc.

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

Sub Distortion.

Postby Dubber on Jan Tue 13, 2009 6:05 pm

Ya, actually its really annoying the issues I am having, the set up sounds a lot better now after we did that, but I still think the sub can do better..

I have it spliced into the rear speaker wires for the signal. The actual signal is coming from the DICE controller that hooks an ipod up to the stock VW deck

We have the gain way down and i think the crossover is set at nearly 100

any reccommendations?
would cutting a vent in the box help??
"We are shaped by our thoughts; We become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves." - Buddha

If you are not happy now, you never will be.
Dubber
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 2009 Skoda Octavia Ambiente II

Re: Building A Sub Box - Winter Photos.

Postby Mikewire on Jan Tue 13, 2009 7:06 pm

Dubber wrote:I have it spliced into the rear speaker wires for the signal. The actual signal is coming from the DICE controller that hooks an ipod up to the stock VW deck
any reccommendations?

You need to get a better SW source. Maybe you can wire in a low pass filter or a crossover. Or just get aftermarket with a SW out. Aeron is the xpert here - he can hook you up with what you need.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby Dubber on Jan Tue 13, 2009 7:34 pm

It is going into a filter of some kind i cant remember what its called
its essentially a little box that takes the two speaker wires and turns them into an RCA output. there is a place on that to turn down the signal, maybe because that is at full blast it is causing the issue???

I will fix the wiring =) i just started school again, 18 credits is going to kill me!!
"We are shaped by our thoughts; We become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves." - Buddha

Dubber
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jan Tue 13, 2009 11:28 pm

Okay, so the little box that you have is called a hi/low converter. It essentially takes the high level outputs from your factory amp and convert them to a low level signal that your amp can "read" is this box connected on the input side or the out put side of your factory amp? If it is the output side, then you are essentially amplifying an already amplifyed signal, i.e way too much input signal for for your sub amp, this will lead to clipping and distortion. The first thing I would try would be changing to the input side of the factory amp (you want to connect it between the head uint and amp, not amp and speakers)and see if that helps. The sub should get quieter, but that is okay, we can work with that. Also I would turn down the gain on the hi/lo if it has one, to maybe1/2 or 1/3 gain. You are not able to turn your sub amp up much because it is getting too much of an audio signal. If you play it too long at this level you might also send the amp into protect mode, which will shut the amp off temporarily until you fix whatever is causing it to protect itself.

Now when you say your crossover is nearly at 100, do you mean 100% (like turned all the way up)or 100Hz(a crossover point)? If it is 100%, then you definitely need to turn it down to around 80-100Hz. That is your low-pass point. That sub will probably not like anything over 100Hz, but it can depend on the box also.

When you guys built the box, how much airspace did it call for? I had a first gen Type-R, and I think it was around 1.0 ft3 give or take. Did you calculate the airspace internally or with the boxes outer dimensions? You will also need to take driver displacement into consideration, as it will remove usable airspace. If you box turns out to be to small internally(which I doubt looking at it) you can use polyfill to make the sub think it is in a larger box.

There are a bunch of variables here, which I could probably tune out in about 5 minutes if I could see the car, but I could probably walk you through it over the phone if you need. IIRC you have my number. P.S. you should have countersunk that sub, but that is my .02.

Mike maybe this should be edited for pic content and moved to the car audio section? I haven't had any play over there in a while.....hehe. And I mean, who makes one thread about car audio AND pictures??!! That is just lazy...... :unibrow:
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby Dubber on Jan Wed 14, 2009 12:35 am

I have the wires plugged up entirely wrong!! It is after the amp I am fairly certain. I did this nearly a year and a half ago, so my memory as to which side of the wiring i hooked up too is.. a bit sketchy. But I think I remember hooking up that way. I am entirely pressed to go outside right now and look at it..
I have the crossover at 100 or so, not one hundred percent.

The airspace the type R 1042d likes is 1-1.5 cubic feet. we have 1.2 or so. so with the actual sub im assuming... 1?

How do you countersink a sub?? I looked it up a bit on google. and apparently my googly skills suck. i found all about countersinking screws people talking about countersunk subs. but no idea what it is..

In any case, I am actually curious enough that I am going to go out now and look at it =) look what you make me do Aeron!

Dubber
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby Mikewire on Jan Wed 14, 2009 12:50 am

Rennwagen1 wrote:Mike maybe this should be edited for pic content and moved to the car audio section? I haven't had any play over there in a while.....hehe. And I mean, who makes one thread about car audio AND pictures??!! That is just lazy...... :unibrow:

:laughing:

Ah, it's the usual variety show around here. Maybe I'll let you moderators figure out how to split posts. If anyone wants to try, go for it. :beer:

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby Dubber on Jan Wed 14, 2009 1:12 am

I looked into it Aeron - I am going to make a audio forum post tomorrow, as i dont know how to move/split the post up...
Can we moderate all forums? it looks like you are the only moderator of this part of the site Mike, can we still move it??

Dubber
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby Roadhog on Jan Wed 14, 2009 1:19 am

Dubber wrote:I looked into it Aeron - I am going to make a audio forum post tomorrow, as i dont know how to move/split the post up...
Can we moderate all forums? it looks like you are the only moderator of this part of the site Mike, can we still move it??

done. :mrgreen:
Roadhog
I heart LOLcats

I heart LOLcats

Vehicles:  

Re: Sub Distortion.

Postby Dubber on Jan Wed 14, 2009 10:26 am

hahah look at the skill on that one! thanks roadhog, you'll have to teach me how to do that. =)

So Aeron, i went and looked at it last night.
The cable is connected into the grey plug in,
there are two, a gray and a green one. it is not overwhelmingly obvious which one is going in and which one is going out... I turned down the high/low converter power and raised the gain on the amp. it sounds a little bit better..
There is a bass eq switch on the amp, what is that???

I am running a
Alpine MRP-850 amp
Alpine Type R 1042d sub
so realistically I should have more than enough power to run that sub in any configuration I want correct??
I guess i am still dissapointed in how well the sub is doing. i had heard it was an amazing sub. at this point, my own stupidity is not allowing that to come through!!

Dubber
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Re: Sub Distortion.

Postby Mikewire on Jan Wed 14, 2009 11:15 am

Nice work Spence.

Grant that bass EQ switch gives you fixed freq output on specific channels. You want that switch to be off for your setup. I can check it out on Friday at lunch if you want. Hopefully it will be nice enough that maybe we can hang outside.

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Next