Sub Distortion.

This discussion forum is for audio, video, security, navigation systems, satellite radio etc.

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

Re: Sub Distortion.

Postby Darkside on Jan Wed 14, 2009 12:07 pm

The box inside dimensions came out o 1.24 sq ft. I didn't counter sink the sub, my fault, I didn't have a router or rotozip. I cut the sub opening with a jig saw. I could prob countersink it but, this was easier and I charge to counter sink them. haha It would look a little better but, we were kinda winging it. I just want it to sound better. P.S. That is the first sub box I have built. I had made trim panels and such before but, my first box.
MKIII VR6 MKII 8v
Darkside
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 97' Jetta VR6
85' Golf 8v

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jan Wed 14, 2009 4:02 pm

OKay, have you had this equipment in your car previously? If you have, and you just changed the box, then that narrows it down a bit. It sounds like the airspace is correct, so then you are looking at tuning. If you have had this setup for a while, then leave the hi/lo converter where is is connected to, as this has been working for you. Here is what I usually do for amp tuning:

Turn amp gain all the way down

put some sort of cd in the player, never use the radio. I use usually some rock/poppy music that will have tight bass(especially if you are using a sealed box) For example, on the system I put in today, I used the new Nickelback and David Banner CDs. Tune it with music you listen to, as you should know how that sounds.

set the bass knob on the stereo to neutral, which I think is the 12 o'clock position on the factory deck, make sure that you do not have a "loud" function enabled. I like to call this the distortion button!

Turn the music up to where you usually listen to it, maybe a bit louder

adjust the crossover to about 80 Hz on the dial

disable your stupid bass boost, I like to call that a distortion button too!

slowly bring the gain up until you think it "blends" well with the music, you may have to just between the front and back of the car a bit. When you get this far, use the bass knob ont he stereo and turn it up a bit to see if it will still sound good and isn't distoritng where you ususally keep the knob.

close the trunk and sit in it and listen for a while. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to sub level, so continue to adjust it to you liking, and play with the colume on the deck a bit to make sure that it doesn't dissappear when you turn the volume down.

Oh yeah, don't use that bass boost button. Ever.

Also, did you do any changeing of the wiring on the sub itself? What ohm load is it wired for? You might want to double check that it is wired correctly, as if you have a voic coil backwards it will wreak havoc and soud like shizz.

For a refresher I usually use this site.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

proceed.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby Dubber on Jan Wed 14, 2009 6:24 pm

I have had this set up for a very long time, I recently bought new hearing aids - 4 months ago, and i started hearing how much my sub was distorting.
i asked a lot of people what was wrong, they all said the same thing - the box is too small for that sub.
I also had hooked the sub up incorrectly as it confused the shit out of me.
there are four binding posts - ( i am much much better with the home audio stuff =) )
pos and neg for each of the two voice coils i am assuming.
at this point i am pretty sure josh and i hooked them up in series...
Not positive - josh???

I actually have it set up to how you just said it, and oddly enough thats mostly the setup proccess i went through. I listen to a lot of different types of music. I like trance - some R&B rap, all over the board, anything that is not screaming. 3 doors down... norah jones...
In any case, when i bought the sub i figured it was a good mix for what i was doing.
it just keeps annoying me cause its continually distorting.

I am going to double check the settings and try it again, just for shits and grins.
*DISCLAIMER*
It is also very very hard for a person who without their hearing aides in hears 20 percent of what you do to properly set up a stereo system properly.
It is my hope that someone with good ears AHEM Josh AHEM Mike
might be able to help me out and look at it at some point in time.

in anycase, im off to face to cold to try to make this work =)
"We are shaped by our thoughts; We become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves." - Buddha

If you are not happy now, you never will be.
Dubber
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 2009 Skoda Octavia Ambiente II

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jan Wed 14, 2009 8:06 pm

OKay, if you are not sure if the sub was wired correctly, then if probably wasn't, no offense. Use that rockford site and it will show you exactly how to wire the sub to achieve the correct ohm load. If you had the voice coils hooked up incorrectly, then you would have problems. Is your sub a dual 4 ohm VC or dual 2 ohm VC speaker? if it is dual 4, then you want to wire it for a 2 ohm load. If it is a dual 2 ohm sub, then you want to wire it for a 1 ohm load, your amp should handle that, I believe.

Edit; I looked up your product online and you should wire your subwoofer for a 2ohm load, and your amplifer shold put out 850 watts @ 2ohms, which puts it right in the middle of the subwoofer's power handling(500/1500), which is good.

This is the wiring configuration you need.

Plug the other end of the sub wiring coming from the box to the bridged output of the amp and there you go.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

Captain Pajama Shark
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Postby Darkside on Jan Wed 14, 2009 8:57 pm

That is how we wired the sub. It wasn't like that and I fixed it before we built the box. So at least we have that part correct. :)
MKIII VR6 MKII 8v
Darkside
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 97' Jetta VR6
85' Golf 8v

Postby Dubber on Jan Wed 14, 2009 10:52 pm

Yay! something right. I got the sub sounding OK today, i guess i can just leave it like that, its pretty weak i had to turn it down a lot so it would not distort.
settings as it sits
High/low converter - half down
Gain 70 percent
Bass EQ - OFF
Stereo bass knob - 12 o clock, or neutral. however you choose to look at it.

thats all of the settings you said right??
Maybe i am just expecting too much of it, who knows maybe my hearing aids are causing the distortion...
No idea.
"We are shaped by our thoughts; We become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves." - Buddha

Dubber
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jan Mon 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Sounds like you have it all pretty much correct. The one thing that I have no idea about are your hearing aids. I really don't have any idea about how to deal with that. I have never encountered that before. You will be the best expert on that one, I think. I would have a few different people sit in it an listen to it, and go from there.

Captain Pajama Shark
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Postby Dubber on Jan Tue 20, 2009 12:56 am

I have gotten it to sound pretty damned good at this point!!
Thanks a lot for your info Aeron -
the largest plus was the high and low pass converter.
that was mostly the problem i think

Dubber
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jan Wed 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Good to hear. Get it? Good to hear?!! I'm Punny.

Captain Pajama Shark
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Previous

Return to Car Audio & Electronics