Keep blowing fuses

This discussion forum is for audio, video, security, navigation systems, satellite radio etc.

Moderators: Rennwagen1, Mikewire

Keep blowing fuses

Postby VR6NH on Apr Mon 28, 2008 2:56 pm

I keep blowing fuses somewhere on my sub line. I usually blow the fuse coming directly off my battery... .sometimes Ill blow the fuse on the amp itself. Either way, the fuse usually goes right when I turn any power on. Iv checked my ground, looks good. Solid connection to battery and solid connection to amp itself. This set up has been working for a few years, now doesnt want to work at all. Any suggestions?
VR6NH
In the engine bay...

In the engine bay...

Postby Mikewire on Apr Mon 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Where is your ground(s)? What gauge cable? You have one ground for the amp, but do you have any other components that need a ground? Also, check for any loose wires or terminations, and look for any wear spots on the + and - cables esp where it goes through your firewall.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby CBCGSXR1000 on Apr Mon 28, 2008 6:51 pm

Make sure the fuse is the right size could be to small.
CHRIS
CBCGSXR1000
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 2

Postby vrtpassat on Apr Mon 28, 2008 6:56 pm

make sure there is a rubber gromet on the B+ wire going throw your firewall if not that is probly were the problell is and it keeps shorting out
i can't spell but if you stare at it long enuff it looks like a hiden vr6
vrtpassat
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 93 passat glx twin gt30's in the works

Postby Rennwagen1 on Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Those are all fine suggestions, and they should be checked out. Now for the one that nobody likes. Check the amp itself. This is also them most troublesome to do also, as you need to swap it out with another one. The best way to do it is convince a buddy to let use use his car/amp. Swap amps out and if the fuse in his car blows, it is your amp. If the fuse in your car blows, it is your car. You need to hopefully find one that is comparable to yours. Also, I know that you said that it has been running for a while like that, but check, re-check, and then check it all again.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby Mikewire on Apr Mon 28, 2008 10:44 pm

Rennwagen1 wrote:Those are all fine suggestions, and they should be checked out. Now for the one that nobody likes. Check the amp itself. This is also them most troublesome to do also, as you need to swap it out with another one. The best way to do it is convince a buddy to let use use his car/amp. Swap amps out and if the fuse in his car blows, it is your amp. If the fuse in your car blows, it is your car. You need to hopefully find one that is comparable to yours. Also, I know that you said that it has been running for a while like that, but check, re-check, and then check it all again.

master...i bow to thee... :p

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Re: Keep blowing fuses

Postby anedarado on Jan Sat 02, 2010 2:59 pm

I got a fuse thats actually like a breaker for the one coming off my battery. u can get em at any car audio place. That way ya dont hafta keep buying new fuses while ur checking all the other stuff.
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?
anedarado
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

Return to Car Audio & Electronics