trany problems need advice

Discussion area for all Passat models

Moderator: Mikewire

trany problems need advice

Postby vrtpassat on Jul Thu 30, 2009 12:23 pm

recentlly my car has started having trouble going in to first gear it shifts fine but at a stop it is really hard to get in to first i can put it in any gear at a stop is was thinking it might be that the shifter needs to be rebuilt or cables ajusted i just cant figure it out come on spence i am shure that you might no with all your trany probs

please help is starting to really piss me off :banghead: :banghead:
i can't spell but if you stare at it long enuff it looks like a hiden vr6
vrtpassat
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 93 passat glx twin gt30's in the works

Re: trany problems need advice

Postby Rennwagen1 on Jul Thu 30, 2009 1:45 pm

I would say to look at your shift linkage, and see if you have some bushings that need to be replaced or something like that. sounds more like a linkage problem rather than a tranny problem.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby Jd3 on Jul Thu 30, 2009 2:30 pm

if your car is a mark 1 or 2, I know there notorious for getting worn out. and they actually sell kits for like a 150-175 to make your shiftin as tight as a tiiiigggerrr. i dont know what the mechanical name for it is... but its all the guts right under wear your shifter sits. yes i said underwear
It should speak for itself
Jd3
Silky Johnson

Silky Johnson

Vehicles: emgay4 sixbangr
88 16v prjct bloodysteak

Postby kompressorgolf on Jul Thu 30, 2009 4:25 pm

actually on mk1/2 with rod shift its the bushing on the relay levers that go out. the ball wears smaller hence it gets sloppy and in-accurate. :thumbsup: vr6's use cable shift, hell it might even be wrench or foreign debris in the way of the shifter, dont that once on a G60 :banghead: was a wrench :laughing:
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby Roadhog on Jul Thu 30, 2009 4:46 pm

If you have an 02A with cable linkage, try adjusting it, but from what you are saying, and from my past experience, you are due for a very expensive rebuild. The first gear syncros on 02A's are really weak. So if you keep trying to downshift to first when going fast its going to wear. The hub gets torn up, and so do the teeth on the gear making it lock you out of first.

Try shifting to 2nd gear before shifting to 1st. A lot of times that will allow you to go into first.
Roadhog
I heart LOLcats

I heart LOLcats

Vehicles:  

Postby vrtpassat on Jul Thu 30, 2009 11:38 pm

it onlly is messed up when i am in a complet stop trying to get to first i can roll and put it in and it onlly dos it some times witch is why i was leaning tward shifter but i talked to rex and there is no rebuild kit for my car at mountan imports.
i can see down in the shifter with the boot and nob off and see play in what looks like the boutem of the shiter cable not the selector cable but have not torn it apart cause i have no outher car to get me from home to were ever
hop that that is more info and please keep talking to me so i can figure out what the f is going on with my car
vrtpassat
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby Roadhog on Jul Thu 30, 2009 11:51 pm

You're basically describing the same exact problem with a crap trans I had in my Corrado. When you come to a complete stop with the clutch in, nothing in the transmission is turning, but when you roll a little, or let the clutch in and out, you will rotate the gears a bit and get them into a new position to where they will line up enough to slide in. The teeth on the gear and selector hub get ground, and chipped off, which causes hard shifting, grinding/ getting locked out of gears.

Here is fourth out of my trans that didn't grind, or give me any problems, but it had very very bad wear.

Here is what a good gear will look like, notice how sharp the teeth are.

When you are stopped, and it wont go into first, try shifting into 2nd, and then first, I bet it will go right in like butter.

And yes, there is no rebuild kit, because you never know exactly what is wrong and what parts you need till you take the trans apart.

What I would try first, is to get all new shifter bushings, and adjust the linkage correctly. I got the shifter bushings at 4 seasons. It cost about $20 for all of them.

If that fails to fix the problem, then I would drain the fluid, and look very carefully for any metal particles. If you find any, rebuild time.
Roadhog
I heart LOLcats

I heart LOLcats

Vehicles:  

Postby vrtpassat on Jul Fri 31, 2009 12:00 am

thanks spence it dose not go in like butter when i am stoped even if i try to go to 2end and then 1st. but mountan imporst told me that there was no shifter rebuild kit may be tomarow i will check with 4-seasense and do you no how to adjust the trny side of the cables becouse i have never had to do that
vrtpassat
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby Roadhog on Jul Fri 31, 2009 12:05 am

vrtpassat wrote:thanks spence it dose not go in like butter when i am stoped even if i try to go to 2end and then 1st. but mountan imporst told me that there was no shifter rebuild kit may be tomarow i will check with 4-seasense and do you no how to adjust the trny side of the cables becouse i have never had to do that

There is no rebuild kit for either, just go order the few bushings that the shifter has.

You can adjust the side to side at the transmission, there is just one bolt on the shift tower that you loosen, it is attached to a plastic thingy which the shift cable is attached to. That's really the only adjustment there is.
Roadhog
I heart LOLcats

I heart LOLcats

Vehicles:  

Postby vrtpassat on Jul Fri 31, 2009 12:13 am

yes i no that but is ther any alinement marks to get it right or just ajust and drive and ajust again if it is not wright
vrtpassat
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Next

Return to Passat