2001 New Beetle - Project Busted Beetle

Discussion area for the New Beetle and New Beetle Convertible

Moderator: Mikewire

2001 New Beetle - Project Busted Beetle

Postby Mikewire on Feb Mon 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Hey guys, thought I would start this thread to keep everyone up to date on my next and most recent project.

I picked up a 2001 VW New Beetle Sport, with the 1.8T and 5 speed trans, leather, sunroof etc. Kind of a basket case, but the price was right. The PO thought it was a battery/grounding issue, but knowing better I figured it was something more complex, and it was.

Those of you following the BSE Instagram already have seen some of the progress, but I prefer the forum for more in depth info.

So, I picked this little Beetle up when it was super cold here in Billings, and was finally able to get it back about a week or so ago when the cold snap finally lifted a little. Here's some pictures:

After getting it in the garage and putting it on the charger, it was evident that when turning it over there was some timing issues. After pulling the upper cover we found some intermittent slack in the belt. That means a tensioner or roller has failed. Knowing that, I was set to pull the head and inspect the damage.

More pictures of the interior, it's got some bio that needs cleaned up and the door panels need some serious help.

Here's when I started to pull the head. Basically support the motor, this time from the bottom, and then begin to remove the right side motor mounts. From there a full belt and timing inspection can be done.

As you can see, the tensioner failed and caused the teeth on the timing belt to shear off. That means valves violently met pistons, and there's assumed valvetrain and piston damage.

So let's remove the head! Valve cover removed, and remove the head bolts.

Pulled the spark plugs, and they are probably some of the worst I've seen. And yes, they are Autolites - that's a damn crying shame to see in a VW... :crybaby:

Ribe M10 for the head bolts, just for reference

And removed. Few pictures of the damage

All 4 cylinders with exhaust valve strikes

Eh, not too bad...?

Valves actually look OK - WES!! What are your thoughts, are these valves OK?

But I think It's still up to be looked at by a shop. So I'll remove the intake and exhaust and take it over to a shop, probably Metric Wrench since I think they have all the specialty tools and I believe they can inspect properly.

Wes, plus anyone else with input please chime in :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Re: 2001 New Beetle Busted Up

Postby kompressorgolf on Feb Wed 15, 2017 9:38 am

had some that looked fine, and they weren't. at least its only 8, I would sand the rough edges on the pistons, the impacts don't seem too bad, make sure no sharp edges and roll it.
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby Mikewire on Feb Wed 15, 2017 9:52 am

kompressorgolf wrote:had some that looked fine, and they weren't. at least its only 8, I would sand the rough edges on the pistons, the impacts don't seem too bad, make sure no sharp edges and roll it.

Good input, thanks Brandon. I agree with you on the pistons - I'm more concerned about the valves being just ever so slightly bent, which would cause a failure down the road.

Since it's hard to determine that with the valves installed, I decided to buy a valve spring compressor and keeper remover/installer. That should show up this weekend. I was planning on taking it into a local shop, but I figured for the cost of doing that vs. buying the tools, I figure I will do it myself and save money while learning. I'll pull and inspect, and if everything looks good and straight, I'll lap the valves and reinstall.

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby Roadhog on Feb Wed 15, 2017 6:31 pm

I wouldn't even use the valves that touched the pistons. They aren't designed to be slammed into a piston. It took a lot of force to make those indentations on them. Even if they seem perfectly straight, they might have micro cracks you won't be able to see. Few heat cycles down the road and the end of your valve breaks off and destroys the whole motor. Plus.. valves are cheap. :|
Roadhog
I heart LOLcats

I heart LOLcats

Vehicles:  

Postby Mikewire on Feb Wed 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Roadhog wrote:I wouldn't even use the valves that touched the pistons. They aren't designed to be slammed into a piston. It took a lot of force to make those indentations on them. Even if they seem perfectly straight, they might have micro cracks you won't be able to see. Few heat cycles down the road and the end of your valve breaks off and destroys the whole motor. Plus.. valves are cheap. :|

Good point for sure. I should probably get all new exhaust valves then. What about the seats and guides and seals?

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby 201motels on Feb Wed 15, 2017 10:59 pm

Or maybe you can find a good used head that's complete?
201motels
In the passengers seat...

In the passengers seat...

Vehicles: 2018 Sea Doo GTX Limited 300

Postby kompressorgolf on Feb Thu 16, 2017 9:20 am

grab some valves, I use an old socket and an 8 inch harbor freight c-clamp. some lapping compound and tool, lap em in and check the seats. Seats will probably be fine, I bent 6 intake valves waaaay bad once and the seats were ok.
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby YASHA7FOLD on Feb Thu 16, 2017 9:39 am

Mike I have a press if you need to do valve seats. I also have lap compound for the valves.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
.R13 5 (o\!/o)
..‚ēö‚ē¨‚ē¨‚ēĚ
... 24
YASHA7FOLD
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 58 Buggy,65 Baja,69 Beetle, 72 Westy

Postby Mikewire on Feb Thu 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Ok, I pulled the trigger on new exhaust valves and seals, plus a couple of other things like a coolant flange that need to be taken care of.

FYI, valves are about $10 each at the cheapest (Rein brand), plus seals that are $2 each...that's pretty cheap insurance in the long run.

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Re: 2001 New Beetle - Project Busted Beetle

Postby Mikewire on Mar Wed 08, 2017 1:27 am

Updates,

Ok so - new valve guides, valves, seals, and gaskets were ordered, plus a few other bits, and finally came in - while waiting for parts, I was able to fix a few other things that needed attention.

I also ended up pulling the head and began to break it down and disassemble it to pull the exhaust valves, replace the guides, valves and seals, and put it all back together again.

Here's a few bent exhaust valves

Cleaned up the top of the pistons and cleaned up and prepped the block for a new head gasket

Installed a new Hepu metal impeller water pump

Fixed the rear hatch release, and replaced all the pneumatic support struts in the hatch and hood

Drivers window would not roll up, so I found and repaired a few wires in the door

Replaced the front left blinker assembly

Here's the head after new exhaust guides, valves and seals were installed, the springs, retainers, keepers and lifters were all put back in place

Lifters had not been installed yet...

New metal head gasket

Just before head install

Head bolts torqued to spec and getting the timing belt ready to install

Ran into some timing issues, but nothing major...just a tooth off. Was able to get it straightened out :thumbsup:

Had some random misfires, so I picked up new NGK platinum plugs and picked up four new coil packs, then found the brake booster line had gotten disconnected and tucked into a tight spot by the transmission. Once I connected that back up the misfires went away and it's running like a top!

Now it's time to button everything back up and begin to get the entire car cleaned up and back on the road

And, if anyone has a source...

***Needing and ISO headlight assemblies, plus all the bits for the fogs and lower grill***

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Next

Return to New Beetle & New Beetle Convertible