2001 New Beetle - Project Busted Beetle

Discussion area for the New Beetle and New Beetle Convertible

Moderator: Mikewire

Re: 2001 New Beetle - Project Busted Beetle

Postby kompressorgolf on Mar Wed 08, 2017 10:43 am

quick work Mike! howd you do the guides?
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby MT-Getto on Mar Wed 08, 2017 7:31 pm

Wow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby Mikewire on Mar Sat 11, 2017 12:28 pm

kompressorgolf wrote:quick work Mike! howd you do the guides?

I removed the guides (6mm) by tapping them with 1/4 threads, and used a long bolt with washers and a deep socket to extract from the top of the head.

For install I used a 6mm guide driver - combo between the air driver and hand driver from Cylinder Head Supply (http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/kl2265.html):

It did a pretty good job but I had a few of them get slightly snug at the top of the guide, so I went back over and honed/resized the neck with a matching sized drill bit until the guide fit with no binding. When all 8 valves fit nicely in the new guides I first lapped the new valves, then installed the new seals, installed the guides, then the spring, retainer and keepers.

A few pictures of the process:

After guide install, and before valve lapping. You can see the valve with lapping compound there too, ready to be lapped

Seats and valves lapped, new seals installed, ready for full reassembly

After springs, retainers, and keepers were installed, lifters go on top

I didn't take too many pictures of this process. Next time I'll document a little better, because it's easy but it takes some special tools and a detailed eye.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby kompressorgolf on Mar Mon 13, 2017 8:29 am

nice! was curious about the guides, as my machinist put my head on a big ass hot plate and heated the whole head to like 250 degrees then extracted/installed. seemed excessive but hes a perfectionist.
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby Mikewire on Mar Mon 13, 2017 8:37 am

I read about some doing that exact thing, and if I had an older oven or something I probably would have at least gotten it warm first, 250 seems to be the magic temp.

FWIW, I did throw the guides in the freezer before installing them. It probably helped install :smirk:

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby benno3231 on Mar Wed 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Nice job Mike! Excellent documentation too. It seems beetles are getting popular these days. All other vw's from this era are going to the junk yards.
-Fukengruven

92 S4
91 Golf VR6
benno3231
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby Mikewire on Mar Thu 30, 2017 11:22 am

Haven't had much time to work on the Beetle, but I did do some things so here's a quick update:

With the weather turning nicer, I broke out the power washer. The engine bay dirtieness was driving me crazy and whomever wrote 4 1/2 qts on the front core in yellow paint pen needs to get woke...that shit has to go.

Did my simple green and hot water treatment, and before and after:

(Here's a before, before pic):

And a split:

Then I washed it the rest down and it's starting to shape up. Few dents and dings to get fixed that bet a good PDR guy could do:

With the engine running well, celaned up and the and exterior in decent shape, I turned to the interior.

First, all in the interior plastics came out. I have to say, I have never in my experience had such a problem with broken plastics. Seriously, every panel I touched was already broken, or I proceeded to break tabs etc. It's not a huge deal, but the PO was not kind to the interior before, so I have a few things that I can repair, but a few that just need to be replaced. Anyway, all those went into the staging area to be cleaned and conditioned.

The seats are out and the leather has been cleaned and PH neutralized, and then I lathered on some conditioner and have been letting them marinate. They are shaping up well. The rollers and track got a cleanup and lube, so it should adjust nicely now as well.

Then I pulled the carpet. Over the years I think the PO was taking handfuls of sand and springking it around the cabin. Then would proceed to leave the windows open whenever it rained or snowed. I tried powerwashing multiple times and then vacuuming, and just could not get the carpet to come clean and get the sand and dirt completely out. The pile was matted down, it's worn down, and it was in just nasty shape. Luckily it wasn't too soggy and had dried out.

This is a before carpet picture, it looks better here than in person:

After I pulled the carpet I used some simple green and a little bit of the leftover microbial stuff I got from Wade :thumbsup: to clean up and somewhat de-funk the padding. Here's a before of that, it looks and smells better now :)

Since I didn't have much luck cleaning up the carpet and removing the sand, and there's a hole at the drivers right foot, I decided last night to try getting new carpet, which I ended up ordering from stockinteriors.com. They have really good online reviews and apparently they use a stock floor pan to form the carpet, so I'll give it a shot. I'm hoping to get the interior nice again, and I've never replaced OEM carpet with new, so this will be a good thing to try out and I'll post up my results.

Next up, headlights. If you look closely in the pictured when I first brought it home you can see that the drivers side lens was completely gone, exposing the interior of the assembly. Well, the passenger side also did the same thing when I removed it, so I ordered a new set from headlightsdepot.com.

For some reason, I don't currently have pictures, but it's amazing what new headlights can do to do make a car look new. I also had to replace the plastic headlight retainers, which immediately broke when removing the old lights. I'll be sure to post some before/after pictures in the next post.

Here's one before pic:

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Postby 201motels on Mar Thu 30, 2017 1:17 pm

Nice job Mike! From my experience with installing new aftermarket carpeting it's fairly easy but you will need to mark and cut the holes for the seat and seat belt etc. At least every kit I've gotten didn't have pre-cut holes.
201motels
In the passengers seat...

In the passengers seat...

Vehicles: 2018 Sea Doo GTX Limited 300

Postby benno3231 on Mar Thu 30, 2017 2:11 pm

I want to see what the new carpet looks like! What were your steps for the engine bay clean? just let it soak in simple green and then take it to the car wash?
-Fukengruven

92 S4
91 Golf VR6
benno3231
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Postby Mikewire on Mar Fri 31, 2017 9:15 am

201motels wrote:Nice job Mike! From my experience with installing new aftermarket carpeting it's fairly easy but you will need to mark and cut the holes for the seat and seat belt etc. At least every kit I've gotten didn't have pre-cut holes.

Thanks! And I agree, that's my understanding as well, having to trim and cut holes, so that's good to hear from your experience. I don't think there's too many on this carpet, but most likely there's more than I realize and I'll find that out when I install :laughing:

benno3231 wrote:I want to see what the new carpet looks like! What were your steps for the engine bay clean? just let it soak in simple green and then take it to the car wash?

I'll post up when I get it - should be here sometime next week.

I'll let you guys in on how I clean up all my vehicles engine bay - engine bay clean is easy, just simple green, soak, then rinse off. The pro tip is to use hot water - I plumbed in a hot water faucet into our breezeway, so I just run that to my pressure washer. It's also softened, so it helps prevent water spots.

Then I use my leaf blower to get the excess water out of the nooks and crannys.

After that and the bay mostly/fully dries off, it's pretty important to treat the rubber and plastics. When you think about it, the inside of your engine bay has more plastics than most of your exterior, plus there's much more extreme temps and variations from hot to cold. So, it only makes sense to take care of whats under the hood, which is similar to what you would do to the interior and exterior of your car.

For the final finish, all do is simply spray it down with a pro grade plastic and rubber conditioner. Over the past few years I've used Meguiar's 40, which I still really like and use a bit on the interior. For all everything else I use their product called Hyper Dressing D17001, which is a pro grade all season, water based, dilute-able detail dressing. I use a 1:3 ratio, which turns out a satin-y spray that works well on a all rubber and plastic. Even does good to clean up the exterior clear coat and will blacken up and condition most plastics, so those big bumper MKII's can look fresshh :thumbsup:

If you want to try it, pick it up at your local paint, body and equipment supply place - I use National Coatings and Supplies (NCS) here in Billings. Local FLAPS (friendly local auto parts supply) has some stuff but I figured out the really good stuff is where the pros go, so I go there.

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to New Beetle & New Beetle Convertible