CAI: FAQ's, truth and lies...

Post your questions or current mods.

Moderator: Mikewire

Re: CAI: FAQ's, truth and lies...

Postby Jezebel on Apr Tue 20, 2010 12:50 am

Okay, I'm trying to get the overall view of CAI. Sounds like lots of people think they won't do anything- neither hurts nor helps. So would it be pointless for my 2009 A3? I know SLCgoth is stoked on his...
FOUR RINGS TO RULE THEM ALL

2009 Audi A3 2.0T - Quattro - S-Line - Titanium Package - Open Sky - 19x8.5 rims
Jezebel
n00b...

n00b...

Vehicles: 2009 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

Postby Rennwagen1 on Apr Tue 20, 2010 9:21 am

hehe. you will never get anyone to agree on them. I personally do like a true Cold Air Intake, that is, filter outside the engine compartment with mandrel bent tubing that is larger than the factory tubing. Your engine is essentially an air pump, so the more, colder, denser air you can get in, and out the more power it is going to make. They work best with exhasut and chip tuning, but they are not required. Also, them make the car sound awesome, which I am sure some would think is ghey, but to that I say, to each his own. I want to hear the car, personally. I say do it, if you can find a quality system. Stop shopping on ebay this instant!
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby Mikewire on Apr Tue 20, 2010 9:47 am

I agree with Aeron :laughing: . The Audi engineers designed the stock air box to flow very well so, as far as function goes, there is no gain. It does add some growl to the exhaust note, and it really helps to have a test pipe or high flow cat, upgraded downpipe and exhaust (and a tune) to really maximize air flow through the entire engine, intake to exhaust.

It's also hard to find a true CAI for Audi since the engine bay is pretty snug. Best combo I have seen for the A4 was a very short U shaped CAI and a heat shield make by a company called Blinktek. Nothing for the A3 currently :( It's almost impossible to keep hot air away from the open intake in a B5/B6 1.8T but the heat shield helps.

Please stay away from eBay. ;) I can suggest numerous online retailers to pick up aftermarket goods from. Or Aeron might might carry or be able to order something that would fit the A3 :beer:

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby JayRyan on Apr Tue 20, 2010 8:26 pm

MikeWire wrote:Best combo I have seen for the A4 was a very short U shaped CAI and a heat shield make by a company called Blinktek. Nothing for the A3 currently :( It's almost impossible to keep hot air away from the open intake in a B5/B6 1.8T but the heat shield helps.:

Why thank you :unibrow: It was all free I might had. Gotta have them connections.
'14 F-150 Ecoboost | Full Roush Tuning
'07 4Runner | IVD/Donahoe Racing/Camburg | TRD | Bajarack | PIAA
'68 MG C - For Sale: $6K

Former Dubs:
'03 A4 1.8TQM Modifcations
'04 Jetta VR6M GLI - Silvery
'99 Passat 1.8TM - Emerald Green
'88 Fox GL 1.8M - Brown...gold?
JayRyan
Spoolin!

Spoolin!

Vehicles: 2003 A4 1.8TQM, 2007 Toyota 4R, 1968 MGC

Postby mizzac on Jul Mon 22, 2013 10:24 pm

I hate to bump an old thread, but since this has been a good debate on CAI I was wondering what most of you guys are running?

I was looking at getting a CAI for my A3, but was concerned about getting to much moisture in it during winter. Something such as this http://www.urotuning.com/EVOMS-V-Flow-A ... 2vf_a3.htm or with a full box. I was also looking at a neuspeed p-flo system or AFE which is just your standard drop in filter to the stock air box.

Anyone have any advice to give? My filter needs to be changed anyways so i figured an upgrade couldn't hurt, just don't want to waste it if a CAI is useless in Montana due to the winter.
mizzac
n00b...

n00b...

Postby Leifro on Mar Sat 19, 2016 9:01 pm

My advice is the moisture is good thing!
They use to make an adapter plate to sit below the carb on old air cooled vw's that would spray a mist of water...
For some of u reading that don't understand yet I want u to think back pre gas combustion.
STEAM.
A little rain makes alot of extra horse power.
Leifro
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 80'VrCaddy
83TCQ-85S1
90Corrado-83GTI

Previous

Return to Modifications