1990 vw fox valve cover gasket...

Category now locked, topics will be moved. Please post in the appropriate make and model category.

Moderator: Mikewire

1990 vw fox valve cover gasket...

Postby enjoyphill on Mar Sun 14, 2010 4:02 pm

i have a 1990 vw fox 1.8L Fuel injected...

I picked up two cork valve cover gaskets from o'reilly auto parts...

after removing cover i proceeded to clean both the head and cover-was able to get head (with help of a gasket cleaner) baby butt clean, but the cover was alittle more diff. to get to that same level. i ended up using a razor blade to carefully scrape off residue which had, o0ver the 200 some thousand miles of driving, seemed to chemically bind to the cover - i was carefull not to let the blade warp/cut the cover in any way.

after seating the gasket i proceeded to put the cover back onto the engine.

this is where i might have messed up...

unaware of the torque specs or assembly order i screwed the bolts on by finger and proceeded (with a counting of turns method) to tighten with my trusty socket wrench.

after i thought all was well and done i was filling the well with oil and noticed a a stream of oil coming out of the furthest back,left bolt (on the downside of the angled block). im guessing because of the engines tilt the oil just moved to that spot and began leaking out...but why just there? other potential weak spots on that same side seemed to hold the seam...

removed that gasket and replaced with 'gasketmaker' - that all went to hell when i noticed oil coming out of the entire left side of the engine...it appears that the cork was doing a better job...

i need help

any thoughts or ideas?
enjoyphill
n00b...

n00b...

Re: 1990 vw fox valve cover gasket...

Postby padroB5 on Mar Sun 14, 2010 7:07 pm

i am wondering if the bolts are one time use only. i know some heads are like that because they strech so you might want to look in that posabilty. an see what the specks are an maybe replace the bolts an the sequens they are so post to be tightned in. looks like you cleaned it in the right fash tho from the soounds of it.
My wagon ant fast just gets Groceries fast.....
WAGONS NEED LOVE TOOOOOOOO!!!!!(quoted the wife)

VW,
Yes it is Fast,
NO, you can't Drive it!
padroB5
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 00Passat2.8.toy
05 silvarado1500

Postby Darkside on Mar Sun 14, 2010 7:30 pm

Valve cover bolts are not stretch bolts. You can reuse them. You may not have gotten them tight enough.....Pics would help
MKIII VR6 MKII 8v
Darkside
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 97' Jetta VR6
85' Golf 8v

Postby kompressorgolf on Mar Sun 14, 2010 7:30 pm

jeez, something isnt right, there shouldnt bee that much oil up there anyways, it should all drain into the pan. any pics>?
68 bug daily 78 16vt bunny in the works updates soon***********************
kompressorgolf

Vehicles: 86 audi SQ, b3 coupe Quattro, 92 urs4

Postby enjoyphill on Mar Mon 15, 2010 9:31 am

i have some photos - how do i post images?
enjoyphill
n00b...

n00b...

Postby Mikewire on Mar Mon 15, 2010 10:31 am

enjoyphill wrote:i have some photos - how do i post images?

Here you go

Kompressorgolf is right, from your description is sounds like there is something clogging the return oil passage in the head because the oil level in the head shouldn't be more than a steady stream of oil flowing back into the oil pan. Possibly old gasket material that has fallen into the opening and clogging up the passage, so I would pull the cover and take a look for any blockage.

Take a look at both sealing surfaces on the head and the cover and make sure all the old gasket material is removed and there is a smooth flat surface so the seal works correctly.

And I would stay away from the cork VC gasket and spend a little more to get the rubber one - it's reusable, seals better, and does not require any sealant so it bolts right up - just don't over torque the bolts.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby thetwodubheads on Apr Sun 11, 2010 11:30 am

Also, make sure to use just a drop of Black Automotive RTV at the corners of the half circle part that goes into the extra cutout for the cam.
thetwodubheads
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

Vehicles: 2012 Golf TDI, 2010 Ram 2500 Cummins

Return to Repair & Maintenance