Rough Idle...and crap

Category now locked, topics will be moved. Please post in the appropriate make and model category.

Moderator: Mikewire

Rough Idle...and crap

Postby squabeggs on Apr Tue 14, 2009 2:05 pm

Changed the oil this weekend in my MK4 2.0 Jetta Wagon. Drove it from Conner to Missoula and all was fine. Next day on the way to work the CEL or MIL light pops on...For kicks I took it to O'Checkers and used the OBDII scanner. Pops up a P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input. Took out the MAF and cleaned it...nothing visibly broken connections look fine. Replaced and cleared the code.

When driving the car runs fine, but when sitting idle its all over the place...rough and trying to die....Light hasn't come back on yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion it will pop up again soon. :\

Any other ideas on what I should check out? No mods on this car...it's a stock 2001 2.0 with 68,000 miles on it.
Suppose I should try and bribe someone to do a VAG-COM.
Bags are for groceries.
squabeggs
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: 2001 VW 2.Slo Jetta CEL-Wagon

Re: Rough Idle...and crap

Postby Mikewire on Apr Tue 14, 2009 2:57 pm

Thats about the right mileage for a MAF to go bad. But just to be sure, unplug it, and if the idle smooths out then it has gone bad. If the ECU gets no signal from the MAF it defaults to a pre-set value.

You can read blocks in Vag-Com - I think it's block 32(?) but I don't remember the tolerances - I would need to look those up for you. Test it by unpluggin it, and let me know if you need them.

If it bad, order it online from germanautoparts.com or ecstuning.com - it's OK to get a reman, but try to stick with Bosch. I replaced mine at about 75K and I still am on that replacement at 138k.

:beer: :beer:

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby DynoJetta on Apr Tue 14, 2009 3:01 pm

I don't know if you checked out Ross-Tech Wiki yet, but it give some info based on your code (nothing you probably haven't tried already).

Click here to see Ross-tech Wiki code details
"When you want to be a somebody; you drive a new car...When you know who you are; you drive an old car."
DynoJetta
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Vehicles: '81 Rabbit Diesel LS
'03 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Postby Rennwagen1 on Apr Tue 14, 2009 4:27 pm

You live in Conner? Or at least were down there? What were you up to? Heading down to Pinesdale to visit Spence? I have a really good friend that lives up Rye Creek Rd, he has an 88 Jetta with an 01 VR swap in it.

Anyway, if you are in town I have a VAG-COM and we can look at it if you want. My buddy from Darby should be up here this weekend, so we will see how that goes, and we might have a small GTG at my house.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby squabeggs on Apr Tue 14, 2009 4:58 pm

My folks live just south of Conner...I was getting hooked up with free easter dinner and stealing some of my dads oil. I live in Missoula, out in Whoville by the airport. I drive a black wagon that is in desperate need of a carwash, front end plastic, rims, tint and seatbelt recievers....and now maybe a MAF. One of these days, maybe I'll have some expendable money...pfft yeah right.

I'll see what happens driving around this week. I could probably snake a box of :beer: cylinders :beer: for a VAG-COM hook up.
Bags are for groceries.
squabeggs
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Postby Roadhog on Apr Tue 14, 2009 5:38 pm

Rennwagen1 wrote:You live in Conner? Or at least were down there? What were you up to? Heading down to Pinesdale to visit Spence? I have a really good friend that lives up Rye Creek Rd, he has an 88 Jetta with an 01 VR swap in it.

Anyway, if you are in town I have a VAG-COM and we can look at it if you want. My buddy from Darby should be up here this weekend, so we will see how that goes, and we might have a small GTG at my house.

I don't live in Pinesdale you douche bag. :laughing:
Roadhog
I heart LOLcats

I heart LOLcats

Vehicles:  

Postby squabeggs on Apr Tue 14, 2009 6:54 pm

3 whole miles later.... :!:

Now the EPC light is on too.
I'll unplug the MAF and drive it....see if that tells me I need to cough up $100+- more than I want to.
Bags are for groceries.
squabeggs
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Postby squabeggs on Apr Tue 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Here is a dumb question...I'll be the first to admit I don't know squat about VW. Could I buy the cheaper MAF that is for a different engine code? As long as it is for a MK4 2.0...On ecs they have a MAF for 99$ that is for an AEG and mine is an AVH.

Did I mention I'm cheap?
Bags are for groceries.
squabeggs
In the trunk...

In the trunk...

Postby Mikewire on Apr Tue 14, 2009 8:22 pm

I don't see why not - a 2.o is a 2.o as far as I know. Maybe there will be more wisdom on the vortex :\ :paranoid: :eek:

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby Rennwagen1 on Apr Tue 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Bring a sixer and we'll VAG it
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Next

Return to Repair & Maintenance