MKV Boost Fluctuation

Models manufactured from 2005 to present

Moderator: Mikewire

MKV Boost Fluctuation

Postby path0s on Oct Mon 18, 2010 1:29 pm

So, had this problem for a little while now.

I'll keep it simple --- I peak boost, 25psi, fluctuates between 22-25psi and then settles at 20psi for the pull. Also getting cuts where I can't boost over 12-15psi, but this problem dissapears after turning the car off.

All started happening after the 3" B&B TBE. I'll get some videos up if anyone wants to see.
REVO Stg. 1 | FORGE DV | Neuspeed CAI | B&B Turbo Back | Newsouth
path0s
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

Vehicles: 08 GTI
03 VR6 GTI

Re: MKV Boost Fluctuation

Postby Mikewire on Oct Mon 18, 2010 2:14 pm

You are probably over boosting, then going into limp mode. Or your IAT temps are too high and the ECU is throttling down the boost, which is basically limp mode until IAT's come down. Have you scanned it for any codes?

I'm wondering how you are getting 25psi out of your tune with a K03...even with my tune at stg2 and most of my vac lines removed I am still peaking about 21psi with no leaks (verified). Are you running the stock SMIC? Tweaked wastegate?

Anyhow, you should maybe look at getting a boost controller on there, or look at getting a FMIC to drop temps and give it some room to breathe. That's my $0.02 :beer:

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby Dubber on Oct Mon 18, 2010 2:24 pm

I can almost promise you Mike is correct, I had the same problem. The car really doesn't like boosting 22-25 PSI ..its quite a bit, so unless you've told it to expect it(I am not sure what mods you have on the car) it will shut down the boost in an attempt to protect the engine.
Likewise I am extremely surprised that you are able to get PSI up to that level with the K03, I wrapped it out as much as i could and i got up to 19, and that was just for a while till it blew. Just a cursory warning, running it that high is likely to blow a seal...

Good luck, scan it, let us know.
"We are shaped by our thoughts; We become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves." - Buddha

If you are not happy now, you never will be.
Dubber
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 2009 Skoda Octavia Ambiente II

Postby path0s on Oct Mon 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Well, i'll be cleaning the MAF today. Been hearing a lot of people getting this fluctuation, and then after cleaning it was solved.

But, i found it odd as well that I peak 25 psi & hold 20 psi, unless i'm 5k+RPMs i'll drop to 15. As for the FMIC, the future is looking very bright for one, in which i'll be coming to missoula/billings to have that installed. So you may see a red MKV around. :)
path0s
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

03 VR6 GTI

Postby path0s on Oct Mon 18, 2010 2:27 pm

@Dub, I've actually been running this PSI almost since I got the car, surprisingly. And it's the summer revo tune, due to me normally being in Florida.

I know i'm just delaying the inevitable with the K03 going over, but... that's due to a GT30, Rods, Fuel Pump, etc. around the corner.

Also, when I first started getting CEL's being thrown at me, got it scanned... in florida, and come to find out the new guy at 1552 forgot to throw the key back out of "on" and it threw off my MAF as well as a bunch of others.

VW wiped it, and about a day later the CEL came back.

Edit: sorry about posting this in mods, didn't know if you wanted it in MKV sections.
path0s
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

03 VR6 GTI

Postby Dubber on Oct Mon 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Nice! The question then is, "how" are you running such high boost?
"We are shaped by our thoughts; We become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves." - Buddha

If you are not happy now, you never will be.
Dubber
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 2009 Skoda Octavia Ambiente II

Postby vegas2017 on Oct Tue 19, 2010 6:26 am

i've been having the same problem in the S. went to aeron to get it played with a bit and i kept blowing of the TBB. so i had him turn it down and now it spikes at 15 holds at 12 or so. mind oyu this is on ko4's. i am still getting fluctuations. sometimes it runs like a bat outta hell and other times it falls flat on its face. i called 034 about it and told that i had got the tune from REVO and about everything that had been happening, they said----Check the vacuum lines, then check with the tuning provider(REVO) to see if they have had any other customers experience misfires under load, we hear of it often due to long coil dwell times specified in the programming, causes the coils to overheat. Sad Sad thing.----might be something to look into. also was wondering if it could be the wasgate(s) not functioning right.
2001.5 S4- STG 3-(project car)
2003 RS 6
2011 Ford f-150 ecoboost
vegas2017
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 01 s4
'03 RS 6

Postby path0s on Oct Tue 19, 2010 6:46 am

Everyone says it's something different. Some say vacuum, wastegate, MAF sensor, some say it's normal and that it always happens. I've only heard it from REVO & GIAC though...

Today i'll be cleaning the MAF, and probably wait a couple days to see if it changes.
path0s
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

03 VR6 GTI

Postby path0s on Oct Tue 19, 2010 6:49 am

as to how i'm running such high boost, I don't know... it's always been like this. And after I got my TBE I peaked even higher. :thumbsup:

I'm only running Stg 1, Forge DV, Neuspeed P flo, & my 3" B&B TBE.

It stumps me as well, considering it's also the summer program from REVO.
path0s
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

03 VR6 GTI

Postby Rennwagen1 on Oct Tue 19, 2010 9:16 pm

What is this "summer" tune that you speak of? I've never heard of it. Must be different settings or something...
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Next

Return to Golf V & Jetta V