What are your thoughts on the MK5?

Models manufactured from 2005 to present

Moderator: Mikewire

Postby digitalscott on Sep Sat 01, 2007 8:25 am

She may be in shock, but guess what has two thumbs and is doing Autocross this weekend?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:mrgreen:

I'll be starting with the "Intro to Autocross" on Sunday morning. I figure since I'm a racing noob, I'll learn how not to be a noob by taking the "don't be a noob" class. Embracing one's noobliness is the first step, am I right?

Time to drive it like I stole it! 850 miles on the MKV... :ninja: ...oh well, close enough to the end of break in. VW says 500 easy miles, 500 more of increasing intensity.

Any tips from the cats out there with the mad [autocross] skillz?
2007 Black Magic Pearl MKV GTI, 6MT, Revo Stage 1, Eibach Prokit sprints, and a lot of blackness.

Still selling Revo SPS3 unit for 1.8T/2.7T...any takers? PM me for details! I need money for stage 2!
digitalscott
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Postby CBCGSXR1000 on Sep Sat 01, 2007 8:58 am

My exaust was a grand alone full magnaflow.plus in take was 300,Q chip is 500 for my car.front mounted intercooler by EIP is sick 900 i lkie the look.Money ant nothin but its nice to get a discont. :twisted:
CHRIS
CBCGSXR1000
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 2

Postby digitalscott on Sep Sat 01, 2007 9:39 am

CBCGSXR1000 wrote:My exaust was a grand alone full magnaflow.plus in take was 300,Q chip is 500 for my car.front mounted intercooler by EIP is sick 900 i lkie the look.Money ant nothin but its nice to get a discont. :twisted:

Uh, thanks for the summary but by "cats" I was talking about the people type, not the converter type. :mrgreen: You have a MKV GTI? Got pics?
2007 Black Magic Pearl MKV GTI, 6MT, Revo Stage 1, Eibach Prokit sprints, and a lot of blackness.

Still selling Revo SPS3 unit for 1.8T/2.7T...any takers? PM me for details! I need money for stage 2!
digitalscott
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Postby CBCGSXR1000 on Sep Sat 01, 2007 2:56 pm

my car is MK4 1.8t it sweet though :twisted:
CHRIS
CBCGSXR1000
In the drivers seat...

In the drivers seat...

Vehicles: 2

Postby Rennwagen1 on Sep Sun 02, 2007 6:53 pm

Glad to hear that you are going to make it!! Ken is running the intro class, and he is a very good driver, knows his shit. Fastest subaru wagon you will ever see!!

I will be prepping the GTI at the house tonight, and I have a new 12 pack of Kokanee, you should stop by!!
Last edited by Rennwagen1 on Sep Sun 02, 2007 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby digitalscott on Sep Sun 02, 2007 10:49 pm

Woot! I made it through the class and the test & tune track. Ken's son drove a scooby wagon (not the one he said he built as a contest with you :p ) and did good with the "whopping 128 HP and a slush box". Ken smoked a few of the SM class scoobys with a lady's stock Impreza RS from the GS class. I ran in GS and learned a ton. Great instructors and tons of wheel time. Ken drove the MKV with me once and said the gas pedal didn't have a middle ground - it's on or off. My fast must not like smooth throttles. I was told at several points in the track that my inside rear wheel came off the ground long enough for it to stop spinning. I want a picture of that next time!

Throughout the class I kept hearing several seasoned drivers say "man, that thing is quick". I guess either I was doing OK or the car was making up for my noobiness. :mrgreen: I also got tons of compliments about the paint, which totally caught be by surprise. Maybe because it's different. It was enough to make anyone's head big but get humbled by the good drivers in a very sportsman manner.

It's a little too late for the beers tonight in the family house, but I will definitely be entering to the event at Big Sky High in October. I'm gonna try to swing by with the wife and kids so they can see WTF I was doing yesterday.

Anyhoo, here's some camera phone pics from today to help get the smell of smoked tires and sweat out of my nose.

The Car with war paint

The slalom line up

Circular "peanut" track line

My pucker factor, and proof I was there :p

digitalscott
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Postby Rennwagen1 on Sep Sun 02, 2007 10:58 pm

So are you going to make it out for the event on monday? YOu can't train on sunday and let it all go to waste! You will forget everything! :p Well at least head out to the track and I will take you around in a much louder, harsher riding GTI.........

Yeah, Ken kicks the crap out of me in that wagon. He has me by HP and AWD, but also by skill.....
Jd3 wrote:Once again I was slangin rocks and pimpin bitches. Got a degree from the streets. Listen to the song regulate by warren g. I wrote it.

MikeWire wrote:Vanilla Ice > Depeche Mode.

Captain Pajama Shark
99% Awesome 100% of the time!!
1.8/2.8/3.2 OEM+
You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!
Rennwagen1
The Dubfather

The Dubfather

Vehicles: 84 GTI, 97 GLX, 04 Touareg V6

Postby digitalscott on Sep Mon 03, 2007 1:05 am

I'm afraid my wife's threshold of having me gone for a whole day has been surpassed for the weekend. I want her to get out to see the Monday event though, even if it is for just one run or two.

digitalscott
Back seat driver...

Back seat driver...

Re:

Postby path0s on Oct Wed 13, 2010 1:53 pm

digitalscott wrote:Ken drove the MKV with me once and said the gas pedal didn't have a middle ground - it's on or off. My fast must not like smooth throttles. I was told at several points in the track that my inside rear wheel came off the ground long enough for it to stop spinning.

They're great in Tripod mode!

What do you have done to your MKV? If you have any questions, since me and you are one of the few with MKV's... i'm willing to answer what I can & vise versa, hopefully.
REVO Stg. 1 | FORGE DV | Neuspeed CAI | B&B Turbo Back | Newsouth
path0s
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

Vehicles: 08 GTI
03 VR6 GTI

Previous

Return to Golf V & Jetta V