Oddest thing...

Models manufactured from 1999 to 2004

Moderator: Mikewire

Oddest thing...

Postby SpoolinDub on Apr Sun 29, 2012 11:18 am

So both of my dubs were running fine. Had kind of a chilly night here in North Dakota and the next day I started the GTI and it had a misfire on cylinder 3. Figured no problem started my Jetta up and it had the same issue. GTI goes into limp mode, flashing CEL and all that jazz. Jetta just runs like crap with the CEL on.

Could a temperature change have a negative effect on spark plugs?

Secondly, my GTI has always had ignition issues but that was ever since I put on the race N75 valve. Which from what I read should only give it 1-3 pounds of boost. It used to run 11psi all the time before, now it spikes to about 18psi and holds at 15psi. Which was more than I wanted but I wasn't complaining for a while...until I started to just blow through spark plugs and ignition coils. Is there something else I should have done when I put on that N75 or is it bad or something? I was planning on getting the Hitachi ignition coils but I don't want to blow something that pricey. I unfortunately don't have the stock frequency valve but is there anything I can do to fix this problem once and for all? In ANY gear if I try to boost from 2-3K rpms it will shake and go into a soft limp mode. At stock it never did this...any suggestions or thoughts would greatly be appreciated.
SpoolinDub
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

Vehicles: 2003 GTI, 1999 Jetta Wolfsburg

Re: Oddest thing...

Postby SpoolinDub on Apr Sun 29, 2012 11:37 am

I don't feel like my plugs should look like this after 4K miles...
SpoolinDub
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

Oddest thing...

Postby YASHA7FOLD on Apr Sun 29, 2012 11:55 am

VW's don't like the fancy plugs. Use a stock plug. Just from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.R13 5 (o\!/o)
..╚╬╬╝
... 24
YASHA7FOLD
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 58 Buggy,65 Baja,69 Beetle, 72 Westy

Postby Darkside on Apr Sun 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Those are crazy plugs. Try replacing them with factory plugs.
MKIII VR6 MKII 8v
Darkside
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 97' Jetta VR6
85' Golf 8v

Postby Volksrod on Apr Sun 29, 2012 7:51 pm

The two in the middle look like they may have been getting some coolant,maybe,had to say from the pic.Either that or they are running WAY too lean on those two cylinders.....
Volksrod
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

Postby MT-Getto on Apr Mon 30, 2012 9:53 am

Stock, single electrode plugs. No triples, no quads, no e3's.
It's not how fast you go. It's how well you go fast.
MT-Getto
Euro Addict!!!

Euro Addict!!!

Vehicles: 70 dzl-camper
20VTMK2GLI
A8L, Ubaru, RAM

Postby Mikewire on Apr Mon 30, 2012 10:38 am

Don't get the Hitachi coils. There's a recall on the VAG coils and they will be replaced free of charge at the dealership. VW will replace them with the new revision "D" coil which is much more stout than any other revision out there. Optional, you can buy them, submit your receipt to VWOA with a letter too, I did that, and R&R'd my own, got a check from AOA.

Yeah, plugs - like everyone else said go with a basic plug, copper, not iridium or platinum, single electrode. Currently I run the BKR6E gapped to .030, no problems. If you are chipped, go to a step cooler plug and you'll decrease temps a bit. Those two in the center look like they were run pretty hot.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby SpoolinDub on May Fri 04, 2012 2:37 pm

I guess I have never ran just a copper plug. I kept getting PFR6Q plugs and blowing them. I think stock my car came with the revision coils but maybe I'll just get them and some of those hold downs. Also always gapped to .032. You guys think that N75 is ok though? Or should I invest in a different valve?
SpoolinDub
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

Postby Mikewire on May Fri 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Yeah, my experience with platinum plugs has been less than ideal with my Audi and the 1.8T - I didn't like them in my 2.0 either. I found that the spark was not strong enough (especially with a tune), and I would get misfires. Coppers are fine, and cheap. I change them with every oil change, takes 5 extra minutes, and I have no problems with plugs or coils.

Unless you bought your car, or had it serviced from the dealer (or the OP had it dealer serviced) within a couple of years, you won't have the D coils. They are probably R's, which are OK too, but are superseded by D. Just look at the top part number of one coil and look for the last letter - that's the revision.

Coil hold downs are useless IMO, there's no reason your coils should be popping up out of the head. If they are, then your spark plugs are popping out too, and that's a problem. OEM coils are fine not bolted down.

Are you running a tune? It sounds like you are running stock.

Without a tune, an N75R will cause overboost and limp mode problems, so go back to the stock N75. Buy one used online or go to the junkyard. Maybe someone on here has one sitting around.

2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
2001 Audi Allroad Quattro 2.7TT 6 speed manual swap
2001 VW Beetle 1.8T GLX 5 speed
1992 VW Montana Green GTI
1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC

FAQ | Forum rules
Mikewire
Site Admin

Site Admin

Vehicles: Air and Water

Postby SpoolinDub on May Fri 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks a lot for the help. I suppose I'll get the coils/plugs and a tune. I really wanted to do my exhaust first but I suppose APR says its fine to do it stock. And the only reason I want the APR is because of the options it has since 93 octane is pretty rare to come by between Montana and North Dakota. Think a tune will help with that overboost issue though?

I used to have problems with the coils coming up and I just don't want that to happen again which is why I was going to the hold downs. I'll give it another go though.

As for my Jetta I just threw some autolites in it and its running just fine once again. 170k miles and running pretty.
SpoolinDub
Kicking the tires...

Kicking the tires...

Next

Return to Golf IV & Jetta IV